GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 12:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Effect of Gap Year on ISB YLP intake

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 4
Effect of Gap Year on ISB YLP intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 21:21
Hello everyone,

I intend to apply to ISB's YLP program this year. However, I'm worried if a gap year between my 12th grade and Engineering degree would lower my prospects of being selected. And what reason should I cite for the same? Also, should I mention it in the essay? If so, how do you suggest I state it and to what extent should I elaborate on it? And should I mention it in Stage 1 essay, Stage 2 essay or both?

Please help me out; Really tensed since the Stage 1 application deadline is nearing :(
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '20 (D)
Re: Effect of Gap Year on ISB YLP intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 22:08
Hi,

I would suggest that you mention it and explain your reasons for taking the gap year. I had one too, and I did mention it in my early entry PGP application, and during the interview it was briefly discussed. Explain why you made the decision in the first place, what you learnt in the gap year, and what you did in college to make up for the lost time. Make it brief, and it ideally should get buried in the stellar things that stand out in your essays, but yes, definitely mention it. Again, this is my opinion, and please seek further consultation before making the decision.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 22:37
animanthakur wrote:
Hi,

I would suggest that you mention it and explain your reasons for taking the gap year. I had one too, and I did mention it in my early entry PGP application, and during the interview it was briefly discussed. Explain why you made the decision in the first place, what you learnt in the gap year, and what you did in college to make up for the lost time. Make it brief, and it ideally should get buried in the stellar things that stand out in your essays, but yes, definitely mention it. Again, this is my opinion, and please seek further consultation before making the decision.

Hi animanthakur,

Thanks for the reply and the advice-it's really useful :)

And I'd really appreciate if you could also elaborate on what all did they ask you in the interview regarding the same?
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '20 (D)

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 22:52
applebear wrote:
animanthakur wrote:
Hi,

Hi animanthakur,

And I'd really appreciate if you could also elaborate on what all did they ask you in the interview regarding the same?

Nothing much. They asked me to elaborate on my reasons for taking the gap year. I explained my position. That's it. They moved on to other things.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 23:00
animanthakur wrote:
applebear wrote:
animanthakur wrote:
Hi,

Hi animanthakur,

Nothing much. They asked me to elaborate on my reasons for taking the gap year. I explained my position. That's it. They moved on to other things.

Great; thanks a ton! :)
Experts' Global Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 05:40
applebear wrote:
Hello everyone,

I intend to apply to ISB's YLP program this year. However, I'm worried if a gap year between my 12th grade and Engineering degree would lower my prospects of being selected. And what reason should I cite for the same? Also, should I mention it in the essay? If so, how do you suggest I state it and to what extent should I elaborate on it? And should I mention it in Stage 1 essay, Stage 2 essay or both?

Please help me out; Really tensed since the Stage 1 application deadline is nearing :(

Hi applebear,

You must definitely mention the gap and talk about the reason for the same. You do not need to detail it to a point that it sounds like a major component of the essay. Just talk about it in a couple of lines :-)

All the best!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 19:09
ExpertsGlobal wrote:
applebear wrote:
Hello everyone,

Hi applebear,

You must definitely mention the gap and talk about the reason for the same. You do not need to detail it to a point that it sounds like a major component of the essay. Just talk about it in a couple of lines :-)

All the best!

Hi ExpertsGlobal,

Thank you so much for your guidance. :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 04:04
Yes, a GAP of a year Is beneficial for you academics I have seen many of the boys doing this thing.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 04:06
Valuable information. Thankyou :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Effect of Gap Year on ISB YLP intake   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2019, 04:06

Effect of Gap Year on ISB YLP intake

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: LeoN88, warriorguy