GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 13:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Egidio's Gym has been in operation for seven years, and offers regular

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Egidio's Gym has been in operation for seven years, and offers regular [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 09:35
mikemcgarry wrote:
OreoShake wrote:
ok, the conclusion is that gym membership has risen significantly due its superior facilities.

we need to focus on finding an assumption that tells us removes any gap between the premises and the conclusion, or defends the conclusion from breaking down. we cannot target a part of the conclusion that the gym member ship did not rise at all in the first place, because that is not the complete conclusion; the conclusion is whether the gym membership rose DUE to superior facilities.

Can you please explain why E is right?

Dear OreoShake,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, with all due respect, I believe you are thinking too rigidly, too formulaically, about the GMAT CR. This is precisely what is challenging about the GMAT CR--each argument is a little different, and there's something unique about that situation that is crucial for completing the CR task.

If the gym has no rise in membership at all, then this devastates any argument that the rise in membership was due to any particular factor. If there's no rise, then there is no rise due to a specific reason. The existence of a rise is not "part" of the conclusion, a part separable from the whole.

In some sense, it is an assumption of every argument on the GMAT that life on earth will continue after today. This would not be relevant only to "part" of any argument: it would destroy and render meaningless the whole of almost every argument. Of course, no GMAT CR argument is going to challenge that assumption, so it's never going to be relevant to the answer of a question, but the point is, there are dozens of ways to support or disrupt the logical flow of an argument.

There's a big difference between a side-by-side relationship vs. a foundational relationship. In some arguments, two elements are side by side: A could exist without B, or B could exist without A. Even then, if the conclusion is about A & B, it may be that an assumption is about only A or only B. In this case, though, we have a foundational relationship: B depends on A any only happens if A happens. In this case, it's perfectly appropriate that the assumption treat only A, because without A, we don't have B.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

So what you are saying is if the a premise of the argument has incomplete information or is invalid in the first place, it wouldnt even matter whether the conclusion happened because of xyz reasons because, there will be no conclusion to begin with if premise is proven incomplete or incorrect? Please let me know if my understanding of what you said is wrong. I have conditioned myself to focus on the conclusion and its premise, generally indicated through markers such as the words 'clearly' and 'because' in the last sentence. in this question, the conclusion may be the complete last sentence.

Thanks Mike
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Egidio's Gym has been in operation for seven years, and offers regular [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 16:03
OreoShake wrote:
So what you are saying is if the a premise of the argument has incomplete information or is invalid in the first place, it wouldnt even matter whether the conclusion happened because of xyz reasons because, there will be no conclusion to begin with if premise is proven incomplete or incorrect? Please let me know if my understanding of what you said is wrong. I have conditioned myself to focus on the conclusion and its premise, generally indicated through markers such as the words 'clearly' and 'because' in the last sentence. in this question, the conclusion may be the complete last sentence.

Thanks Mike

Dear OreoShake,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Actually, that's not really what I am saying. I will try again.

The Zen recluse and poet Han Shan (9th century) said: "No path goes all the way." In this simple sentence, the poet says something deep about human life and something deep about GMAT Critical Reasoning.

On the CR questions, the GMAT is assessing flexible critical thinking. If you have any fixed approach to analyzing the arguments, the GMAT will punish that. The GMAT excels a producing a wide variety of arguments: ultimately, each argument is different and needs to be appreciated in its own terms.

I would say there is absolutely no such thing as a premise with "complete information." That is a chimera. Completely information would involve all life on earth continuing, the US government surviving, the US monetary systems continuing, human nature remaining the same, etc. etc. Everything is connected to everything else, so no premise could ever have "complete information."

Sometimes, we weaken an argument by finding a flaw in the premises. Sometimes, we weaken an argument by attacking the assumption. Sometimes, we weaken an argument by showing what illogical further conclusion it implies. Often, the task on a CR question is intimately related to the particularity of the situation--this unique relationship makes it impossible to generalize fully the task on GMAT CR. The GMAT wants to know whether you have flexible critical thinking, and no formula or pattern or shortcut will produce that.

The best way to practice for GMAT CR is not to formulate some list of rules. The best way to practice is to read arguments, real-world arguments. Read the business news, including the Economist magazine, the Financial Times, and Bloomberg Businessweek. Read about the real issues and real arguments that arise in the modern business world, and think about those arguments. Each one is situation is different, and a good manager is someone who can assess, relatively quickly, what each new unique situation demands.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Egidio's Gym has been in operation for seven years, and offers regular [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 06:20
A is just a strengthener b/c A is just about the appreciation, nothing more.
Re: Egidio's Gym has been in operation for seven years, and offers regular   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2018, 06:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

Egidio's Gym has been in operation for seven years, and offers regular

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap