Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2804 [16]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2804 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Eighteenth - Century Physicians noted that the garlic-eating French Pr [#permalink]
Kudos
Adding to the thread:
In C the meaning of the sentence in changed. The presence of WHO in this sentence points out to the whole group of English priests. But in the ques we are talking of only those priests who attended victims of the plague during an outbreak in london
(C) while the English priests, who shunned the odiferous herb, soon became ill

Please comment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
Re: Eighteenth - Century Physicians noted that the garlic-eating French Pr [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
rohitgoel15

Adding to the thread:
In C the meaning of the sentence in changed. The presence of WHO in this sentence points out to the whole group of English priests. But in the ques we are talking of only those priests who attended victims of the plague during an outbreak in london

Please comment.

I am afraid that I don't agree with you on this part.....
as priests who shunned this odoriferous herb are the ones that fell ill which is correct and does not change the meaning at all.
Manager
Manager
Status:Build your own dreams,Otherwise some one else will hire you to build there's.
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
Can verbal gurus shed some light on this?
Why C is wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [1]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
mahakmalik wrote:
Can verbal gurus shed some light on this?
Why C is wrong?

Though i am not expert but here are my 2 cents
maha "shunning the herb" is essential modifier. where as C makes this essential modifier "non-essential" the sentence is about contrast

the garlic eating french who attended victims remain healthy WHEREAS
English priest shunning the herb soon become ill
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi, Chetan2u,
What I don't get is:
1-why you're saying that in the same time frame the use of while is more appropriate when in this case is implicit that it is (during the plague in London)?
2- why the use of who for a person/s is not fitting better that the present participle shunned?
Thanks in advance.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
1-why you're saying that in the same time frame the use of while is more appropriate when in this case is implicit that it is (during the plague in London)?

the main purpose of he sentence is to show contrast between priests eating garlic staying healthy and english priests shunning garlic fell ill..
the timeframe may be the same, but we are just using that to show the CONTRAST in two different set of people..

the sentence could use WHILE in following role:-
Eighteenth - Century Physicians noted that the mr X attended victims of the plague during an outbreak in london, while Mr Y was on a foreign tour..

Quote:
2- why the use of who for a person/s is not fitting better that the present participle shunned?

'Who' is not correct here (in B) because its usage is in nonrestrictive role...
By saying
the English priests, who shunned the odiferous herb, soon became ill
we mean all priests became ill and "who shunned the odiferous herb" just gives an additional info about them..

the English priests who shunned the odiferous herb soon became ill..
here it would mean that only those english priests who shunned .. became ill..., which would be the correct usage here
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 852
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Hi :)

I just wanted to add a note to why C is wrong. The noun modifier that starts with Who is located between two commas which makes this modifier an unessential modifier. But the information that this modifier includes is essential and identifies the priests.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Adding to the thread:

Please comment.

, before who makes it non essential modifier
In original sentence it is essential modifier

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Eighteenth - Century Physicians noted that the garlic-eating French Priests who attended victims of the plague during an outbreak in london remained healthy, while the English Priests shunning the odiferous herb soon become ill.

(A) while the English Priests shunning the odiferous herb soon become ill.
(B) whereas the English priests shunning the odiferous herb soon became ill. - correct
(D) and the English priests, who shun the odiferous herb, became ill soon
(E) while the English priests soon became ill and shunned the odiferous herb

B is parallel as it should be.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Can you please explain C. WHy b is better than c and error in C
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
saury2k wrote:
Can you please explain C. WHy b is better than c and error in C

There's no error in (C). This question has two basically correct answers: (B) and (C).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts