GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Jul 2020, 20:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

EMBA: Kellogg-WHU vs Essec-Mannheim

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
EMBA: Kellogg-WHU vs Essec-Mannheim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 06:40
Hi,

I am currently an American living and working in Hamburg. Given my work situation and desire to stay in Germany or Western Europe (or improbably back to the U.S. if an incredible job became available), the two EMBA programs I have acceptance letters for are Kellogg-WHU and ESSEC-Mannheim. Main factors are location (Germany so only minor travel), ranking, prestige in Germany/Europe and abroad, and flexibility/quality of curriculum. Also considered is the cost of both programs, with K-W nearly twice as much as Essec-Mannheim.

That said, would really like some perspective from any/all on the quality, prestige, and network of both these programs in Germany, Europe, and North America, as well as the rest of the world. Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Re: EMBA: Kellogg-WHU vs Essec-Mannheim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 08:01
AmericanExpat wrote:
Hi,

I am currently an American living and working in Hamburg. Given my work situation and desire to stay in Germany or Western Europe (or improbably back to the U.S. if an incredible job became available), the two EMBA programs I have acceptance letters for are Kellogg-WHU and ESSEC-Mannheim. Main factors are location (Germany so only minor travel), ranking, prestige in Germany/Europe and abroad, and flexibility/quality of curriculum. Also considered is the cost of both programs, with K-W nearly twice as much as Essec-Mannheim.

That said, would really like some perspective from any/all on the quality, prestige, and network of both these programs in Germany, Europe, and North America, as well as the rest of the world. Thanks in advance.

Both are very good schools for EMBA. take the decision based on your comfort considering price(fee,Travel,stay). All the best :thumbup:
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
EMBA: Kellogg-WHU vs Essec-Mannheim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 11:32
Welcome to GMAT Club and Congrats on your Admits!

EMBA is largely about a few things:
1. Getting ahead at your current company (hopefully company pays for it though it seems in your case it is self-funded)
2. Networking with peers and execs for a possibility of getting on board at another company or getting a tip/recommendation from one of your classmates
3. Filling in the gaps and building up your profile

Which of these are you targeting? What are you trying to accomplish with your MBA/EMBA?

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 12:01
bb wrote:
Welcome to GMAT Club and Congrats on your Admits!

EMBA is largely about a few things:
1. Getting ahead at your current company (hopefully company pays for it though it seems in your case it is self-funded)
2. Networking with peers and execs for a possibility of getting on board at another company or getting a tip/recommendation from one of your classmates
3. Filling in the gaps and building up your profile

Which of these are you targeting? What are you trying to accomplish with your MBA/EMBA?

It’s a combination of 2 and 3. Started as #3, but transitioning heavily to #2. Looking to move into a different field, gain more business executive knowledge, and progress to a higher level of management.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 12:18
Kellogg has many EMBA programs around the world. They partner with 5 or 10 programs to do the EMBA JVs. I feel it is successful and probably a pretty good model. I have seen the HKUST/Kellogg in action and it was plenty of team building exercises and good fun.

I think the biggest contribution they bring is the Brand and also the US style and approach and also the large network. It seems you may be able to move around and take classes in a few spots but the main advantage is likely the US style and approach to teaching.

I could see the styles being different and I can see some people lack patience with the traditional European approach to education and some preferring a diff structure and teaching approach and perhaps it being in English rather than German.

I feel you would be much more global with the Kellogg MBA, though Mannheim is known out there but it is never clear how good it is or it’s ranking whereas Kellogg is always in the Top7 and most of the time Top 5. I think if you’re looking for an MBA that you can take outside of Germany and Europe, and do you want to Tampa global network, Kellogg would be much stronger. You will likely be able to locate 10 to 20 active alarms in every major city of the world. The main question is how much will you use that network. I don’t use mine. I haven’t used mine for over 10 years. I feel in some sense you will be paying a premium for Kellogg as an insurance. At the same time it’s likely to attract more similarly global- minded individuals.

PS. In general with luxury goods, healthcare and education, people tend to choose “better” and more expensive option. I can’t say they are wrong But you can save some money if you’re OK with the EU style education and having a potentially more regional network.

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 23:34
bb wrote:
Kellogg has many EMBA programs around the world. They partner with 5 or 10 programs to do the EMBA JVs. I feel it is successful and probably a pretty good model. I have seen the HKUST/Kellogg in action and it was plenty of team building exercises and good fun.

I think the biggest contribution they bring is the Brand and also the US style and approach and also the large network. It seems you may be able to move around and take classes in a few spots but the main advantage is likely the US style and approach to teaching.

I could see the styles being different and I can see some people lack patience with the traditional European approach to education and some preferring a diff structure and teaching approach and perhaps it being in English rather than German.

I feel you would be much more global with the Kellogg MBA, though Mannheim is known out there but it is never clear how good it is or it’s ranking whereas Kellogg is always in the Top7 and most of the time Top 5. I think if you’re looking for an MBA that you can take outside of Germany and Europe, and do you want to Tampa global network, Kellogg would be much stronger. You will likely be able to locate 10 to 20 active alarms in every major city of the world. The main question is how much will you use that network. I don’t use mine. I haven’t used mine for over 10 years. I feel in some sense you will be paying a premium for Kellogg as an insurance. At the same time it’s likely to attract more similarly global- minded individuals.

PS. In general with luxury goods, healthcare and education, people tend to choose “better” and more expensive option. I can’t say they are wrong But you can save some money if you’re OK with the EU style education and having a potentially more regional network.

Much of what you're saying is what has crossed my mind, and why I'm leaning towards Kellogg-WHU, although Mannheim Business School seems to be the program that tries harder, in general. Combination of American and EU education styles, curriculums, networks, etc. I won't need to take any loans for either of the programs most likely (other than leveraging low interest loans to keep the money I have working). Thanks for your thoughts!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2019, 20:56
It’s always a challenge to compare an American school to European schools. Business schools are not a output of teaching at the school, but also an output of the economy of the region it is in and an output of the strength of media that covers it. With a significantly larger number of people around the world reading English news and a significant number of multi billion $ businesses based out of USA, American schools have a better perception.

I personally think that both the schools are equally good-you should talk to your future employers and recruiters and head hunters in the region to know their opinion. FT, Bloomberg, US news rankings aren’t trustworthy, they give no insight into their survey numbers, sample they survey or even completeness.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: EMBA: Kellogg-WHU vs Essec-Mannheim   [#permalink] 16 May 2019, 20:56

EMBA: Kellogg-WHU vs Essec-Mannheim

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate