GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 03:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

****Emergency!! Please suggest me what to do******

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
****Emergency!! Please suggest me what to do******  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2019, 10:09

I have myself admitted in a top 25 B school and now when I have all my things ready, my Visa stamped a top 20 B school calls me up and offers me admission with a significant improved scholarship offer too. But now with only a month left, I am wondering if its worth taking the risk. What if everything doesn't get ready in time.

If anyone has gone through the same experience please share and I am also all ears for any suggestions that you might have.

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Posted from my mobile device
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: ****Emergency!! Please suggest me what to do******  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2019, 00:24
Congratulations on your admits! I am afraid it may be too late.... not impossible but very tight. The first thing I would check is the Embassy Waiting times and how long it will take to get the visa processed.

Also, you should immediately (monday morning) ask the school what would they do if you are a few weeks late? What would happen then? Would they let you defer or you would start late or ??? They clearly have had situations like this - what is their expectation?

As to the situation in case you are late, there are about 2 weeks of orientations that take place before school. This time is fairly useful as you get to meet your classmates, get to know about the basics, usually do some kind of a trip or a retreat or team-building exercises. It would be a bummer to miss these but if you have to miss them, you would not be missing classes at least.... but you will have to change all your plans for housing/apartment/city, etc.

This is very late in the process.... are you mentally prepared to change?

Of course if there is a better rank and scholarship involved, it may be well worth the hassle and potentially risk. The only person I know who was in such situation was Souvik who got admitted to Sloan from WL late and he let it go, and did not switch from Ross to Sloan. He was happy with that decision.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2019, 01:12
bb wrote:
Congratulations on your admits! I am afraid it may be too late.... not impossible but very tight. The first thing I would check is the Embassy Waiting times and how long it will take to get the visa processed.

Also, you should immediately (monday morning) ask the school what would they do if you are a few weeks late? What would happen then? Would they let you defer or you would start late or ??? They clearly have had situations like this - what is their expectation?

As to the situation in case you are late, there are about 2 weeks of orientations that take place before school. This time is fairly useful as you get to meet your classmates, get to know about the basics, usually do some kind of a trip or a retreat or team-building exercises. It would be a bummer to miss these but if you have to miss them, you would not be missing classes at least.... but you will have to change all your plans for housing/apartment/city, etc.

This is very late in the process.... are you mentally prepared to change?

Of course if there is a better rank and scholarship involved, it may be well worth the hassle and potentially risk. The only person I know who was in such situation was Souvik who got admitted to Sloan from WL late and he let it go, and did not switch from Ross to Sloan. He was happy with that decision.

Thank you for the reply.
I will be in contact with the Consulate on Monday and ask them about the procedure. The only issue is that my new I20 might take some time to come and whether they would accept a scanned copy or not. The waiting times are over a month but I have searched that if you provide proper reasons they will allow you to set up an emergency interview and expedite the Visa. The scholarship value is significantly high and I don't want to let the opportunity go. I will try my best, but not let go of the opportunity I have until everything is written in stone.

Posted from my mobile device
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2019, 12:16
Ok! If that's the case and it is a significant scholarship amount, then ABSOLUTELY. These opportunities don't come by often.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker
GMAT Club Bot
Re: ****Emergency!! Please suggest me what to do******   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2019, 12:16

new topic post reply Update application status