GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 22:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Employee representative: Plants will not benefit from inadequately

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Employee representative: Plants will not benefit from inadequately  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2016, 11:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:42) correct 16% (02:02) wrong based on 139 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Automobile manufacturer: Recently developed defect-detection systems, although not yet proven to be completely accurate, should be purchased immediately for our plants. Automated inspections will help assembly-line workers detect flaws in materials.

Employee representative: Plants will not benefit from inadequately tested defect-detection systems. Failures in those systems could mislead the workers using them, allowing flaws to go undetected.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the employee representative's objection?

A)Any automated system, no matter how rigorously tested, is susceptible to malfunction.

B) An automated packing system was successfully introduced by the manufacturer with only minimal testing.

C)Even though the new system will help detect some flaws, the probable system failures will cause even more flaws to go undetected.

D)Many flaws are missed due to the high stress levels experienced by assembly-line workers.

E) Defect-detection systems as they are currently used are more effective at detecting flaws in finished products than they are in raw materials.

I find "D" strengthens more, the first statement mentions about assembly line workers..to detect flaws..hence if they already miss out on flaws, the new system will fail.
Current Student
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Employee representative: Plants will not benefit from inadequately  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2016, 11:31
aditi2013 wrote:
Automobile manufacturer: Recently developed defect-detection systems, although not yet proven to be completely accurate, should be purchased immediately for our plants. Automated inspections will help assembly-line workers detect flaws in materials.

Employee representative: Plants will not benefit from inadequately tested defect-detection systems. Failures in those systems could mislead the workers using them, allowing flaws to go undetected.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the employee representative's objection?

A)Any automated system, no matter how rigorously tested, is susceptible to malfunction.

B) An automated packing system was successfully introduced by the manufacturer with only minimal testing.

C)Even though the new system will help detect some flaws, the probable system failures will cause even more flaws to go undetected.

D)Many flaws are missed due to the high stress levels experienced by assembly-line workers.

E) Defect-detection systems as they are currently used are more effective at detecting flaws in finished products than they are in raw materials.

I find "D" strengthens more, the first statement mentions about assembly line workers..to detect flaws..hence if they already miss out on flaws, the new system will fail.

A)Any automated system, no matter how rigorously tested, is susceptible to malfunction - Employee representative (ER) says that argues against inadequately tested systems. Irrelevant.

B) An automated packing system was successfully introduced by the manufacturer with only minimal testing - We are not sure about the connection between automated packing systems and automated defect detection systems. Irrelevant.

C)Even though the new system will help detect some flaws, the probable system failures will cause even more flaws to go undetected - This is in line with what the ER is saying and strengthens ER's argument. ER talks about system failures causing defects to go undetected. Correct.

D)Many flaws are missed due to the high stress levels experienced by assembly-line workers - ER is arguing against the defect detection systems. If anything, this statement weakens the argument of the ER by saying that the current process does not work and there is a need for alternate ways to detect defects.

E) Defect-detection systems as they are currently used are more effective at detecting flaws in finished products than they are in raw materials - ER does not argue about the efficacy of defect detection systems for different kinds of materials (i.e FG vs raw material). Irrelevant.

My answer is C.
Intern
Intern
Re: Employee representative: Plants will not benefit from inadequately  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2016, 14:38
I also agree with answer C and the comments made by unverifiedvoracity.

The ER doesn't disagree that the automated system could help, but believes that an inaccurate system would mislead the inspectors into a false sense of security with a false negative (negative being a none existence of a flaw). Who has a stronger position then becomes a question of whether the new system helps more or hinders more.

If the new system misses more flaws than it spots as indicated by C, and if we are happy to assume that the workers currently spot more flaws than they miss, then the ER's position has been strengthened. If the employees were making many errors already as in D, then like unverifiedvoracity says, that would weaken the ERs position. However the word many does not provide enough information to say that it definitively weakens the ER's position.

Target GMAT 650. Please help by giving Kudos, it's free!

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Employee representative: Plants will not benefit from inadequately  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 00:44
aditi2013 wrote:

Manufac : DDS though not proven to be accurate at detecting flaws should be installed in plant to detect flaws.
Emp Rep : DDS will not be useful and mislead employees, some flaws will go undetected.

Malfunctioning of the system is not the issue, we are looking for the results of an untested system.

Out of scope

If some system failures go undetected then surely it strengthens the employee representatives views.

Out of scope.

Out of scope.

Hence only (C) strengthens the highlighted part of the employee representatives claim and is the answer !!

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 11:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Employee representative: Plants will not benefit from inadequately &nbs [#permalink] 17 Aug 2018, 11:14

Employee representative: Plants will not benefit from inadequately

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap