It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution sca

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution sca [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2014, 10:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 105

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution sca [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2014, 01:35
abhicoolmax wrote:
Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
    1. Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
    2. Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers today, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
    3. Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
    4. Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit at the time of the Civil War.
    5. Today, because of widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Note: This question is from MGMAT CAT test; so if you are CAT taker and don't want to see this question in your live test please ignore! I am not sure if this is illegal to post here; please let me know and I will remove the question from here. Forum moderators please let me know if I violated any GMAT Club Forum rule - in which case, please accept my Apologies in advance!

In questions like this:
where the entire "long" sentence is underlined, what kind of strategy could be used?

I read ALL 5 choices and it takes me > 1:30 mins for questions where the entire sentence is underlined. Is there a strategy I can employ that could help me improve this timing?

Bump to seek for experts' advice! I have the same problem with entire underlined sentence. Which strategy is best to solve the entire underlined sentence?

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 105

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17085 [0], given: 1963

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 09:47
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This question is part of the GMAT Club Sentence Correction : Comparison" Revision Project.

Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

A. Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

B. Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers today, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

C. Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

D. Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit at the time of the Civil War.

E. Today, because of widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17085 [0], given: 1963

Chat Moderator

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 537

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 11:36
Between A and B I chose A, because of placement of 'today'.
C lacks 'today'
D changes the meaning.
E - we can't use 'because' here. Meaning changes a lot. It now means 'because' of scanners counterfeiting became more difficult. It is a wrong meaning.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

Kudos [?]: 697 [2], given: 80

GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 00:24
This post received
KUDOS
yes 'today' in A is much better than in B.
rest of the options are not even close enough

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 697 [2], given: 80

1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator

Kudos [?]: 170 [1], given: 537

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 01:10
This post received
KUDOS
Today must be near technology to refer to it, but in B it refers to scanners and printers.

Kudos [?]: 170 [1], given: 537

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 81 [1], given: 444

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.84
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 05:07
This post received
KUDOS
+1 for A.Best placement of today and no ambiguity.

Kudos [?]: 81 [1], given: 444

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5531 [1], given: 112

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

A. Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

B. Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers today, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

C. Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit. TODAY?

D. Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit at the time of the Civil War.

E. Today, because of widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

ans A..
despite is required to show contrast so E is out..placement of today changes the meaning.. only A is left

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17085 [1], given: 1963

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2015, 02:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The intent of the sentence is to compare counterfeiting today to counterfeiting in the
past, using difficulty as the measure. In the original sentence, the comparison is
correctly drawn between “today…counterfeiting is” and “it [counterfeiting] was at the
time of the Civil War.” Additionally, the use of “despite” accurately conveys the main
point that although some new technologies are available, counterfeiting is
nevertheless more difficult than it once was.
(A) CORRECT. The original sentence is correct as written.
(B) The intent of the sentence is to compare counterfeiting today to counterfeiting in
the past. In this sentence, the placement of “today” after “high resolution
scanners and printers” could lead to a misunderstanding about what occurs
“today”: the equipment, or perhaps the wide availability of the equipment,
rather than the counterfeiting itself.
(C) This sentence is missing “today,” which clearly indicated in the original sentence
when the counterfeiting with scanners and printers occurs. The first instance of the
pronoun "it" has also been dropped, creating an illogical comparison between an act,
“counterfeiting,” and a time, “at the time of the Civil War.” A correct comparison could
have been between “today” and “the time of the Civil War”: “…counterfeiting is more
difficult today than at the time of the Civil War…”
(D) An illogical comparison is made between an act, “counterfeiting,” and a time,
“when it was estimated.”
(E) The point of the original sentence is that counterfeiting is more difficult today
“despite,” not “because of,” the technology that is available.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17085 [1], given: 1963

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2015, 08:51

Correct.
Incorrect. The comparison becomes awkward. "counterfeiting is more difficult than it was in the past" begs for a "when?". Today should be referring to counterfeiting to make the comparison clear.
C. Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
Incorrect. Same problem as B.
Incorrect. No need of two conjunctions (than/when).
Incorrect. It changes the meaning (e.g. even though versus because).

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 13

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 12:14
72 seconds for A. Agree with the reasons shared. Any help to improve the timings ?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Chat Moderator

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 22:38
AJ0038810 wrote:
72 seconds for A. Agree with the reasons shared. Any help to improve the timings ?

I don't think 72 seconds is bad :lol: It is even nice.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2015, 04:05
Ergenekon wrote:

Totally agree. In fact, in a long sentence like this, and when the entire sentence is underlined, 72 seconds is actually very decent.

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 17

Chat Moderator

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2015, 04:06
sukanyar wrote:
Ergenekon wrote:

Totally agree. In fact, in a long sentence like this, and when the entire sentence is underlined, 72 seconds is actually very decent.

So now, I think he can go and take the test :-D

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 82

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2015, 14:52
+1 for A for obvious clarity in meaning and proper placement of "today". However i have a different question . Can anyone suggest how to get to the correct answer quicker? It took me 2.16 mins to do this one.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 82

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 240

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 07:11
Can some expert throw light on - 1) Why 'it' is not refering to "civil war"? and 2) Why is A better than B? Thanks!

1. Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
2. Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers today, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 240

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [3], given: 139

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2015, 23:33
This post received
KUDOS
LucyDang Best way to solve these long underlined sentences is to segregate similar options and find the differences within them. for ex, in this question options 1,4&5 looks similar and 2&3 looks similar. Now find the differences among them.

arkle

1. Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.Correct

2. Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers today, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit. placement of "today" is wrong, counterfeiting is compared to the time of the event. It should compare counterfeiting today to counterfeiting at the time of civil war.

3. Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit. "today" is missing and is necessary to show the timeline. counterfeiting is compared to the time of the event.

4. Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit at the time of the Civil War.wrong comparison of counterfeiting again, x is more difficult than y is the correct form.

5. Today, because of widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.the words "because of" changes the meaning of the sentence.

Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 12 [3], given: 139

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 148

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2016, 05:37
Sentence A: Today counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War
Sentence B: Today counterfeiting is more difficult than at the time of the Civil War

Whether Sentence B is correct when compared with Sentence A? Both conveys the same meaning? I m confused here.

In my understanding both looks same. Kindly help if i m missing anything. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 148

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7933 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2016, 06:28
In long sentences such as these, one can try to remove the fluff like the modifiers and see, whether the original intent is carried in the choices. In this case, let is remove the modifiers and compare.

B.Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers today, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

Let’s first get rid of E for being antithetical.

When we remove the modifiers, we can see the relevance of the word ‘today’. B and C miss the important comparative arm today and hence do not carry the original intent. We should eliminate them. Between A and D, D has a modification problem in that ‘at the time of the civil war’, is relegated to the end of the sentence, altering the original intent.

Therefore, A is correct

Maybe, this helps

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7933 [0], given: 364

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2016, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sowragu wrote:
Sentence A: Today counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War
Sentence B: Today counterfeiting is more difficult than at the time of the Civil War

Whether Sentence B is correct when compared with Sentence A? Both conveys the same meaning? I m confused here.

In my understanding both looks same. Kindly help if i m missing anything. Thanks.

Hi,
Specific to your Q..
A is correct ..
But B illogically compares counterfeiting with a time frame, at the time of civil war"
so B may not be correct..

I'll try to give you a situation where the latter part may be correct..
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last year..

hope it helps

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Re: Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution sca   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2016, 06:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 57 posts ] 

Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution sca

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap