It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution sca

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 667 [0], given: 210

Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution sca [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2008, 07:29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (01:23) correct 37% (01:21) wrong based on 417 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

(A) Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

(B) Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers today, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

(C) Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

(D) Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit at the time of the Civil War.

(E) Today, because of widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 667 [0], given: 210

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 13

Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Re: Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution sca [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2008, 08:37
bsd_lover wrote:
Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

a Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

b Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers today, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

c Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

d Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit at the time of the Civil War.

e Today, because of widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

I believe the reason why counterfeiting is difficult today is the availability of "high-resolution scanners and printers" and not DESPITE it.

So E for me.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 0

Re: Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution sca [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2008, 09:10
a Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
Remove "despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers" and you are left with Today counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
Comparing today's situation with previous situation "it was".

b Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers today, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
Not comparing present time with past so incorrect.

c Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
Not comparing present time with past so incorrect.

d Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit at the time of the Civil War.
Remove "despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers" and you are left with Today counterfeiting is more difficult than when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit at the time of the Civil War.
Compares Today's situation with previous time "when". In correct comparison.

e Today, because of widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
Indicates "because of widely available technology" counterfeiting is difficult.

I will go with A.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2008, 09:30
dwivedys wrote:
I believe the reason why counterfeiting is difficult today is the availability of "high-resolution scanners and printers" and not DESPITE it.

So E for me.

Logically thinking "high-resolution scanners and printers" should make counterfeiting more easy and not difficult. We need to show some sort of contrast here although we have high-resolution scanners and printers, which makes counterfeiting easy, it is still more difficult in present time to do so.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 2

Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2008, 09:38
i read the sentence..and found absolutely nothing wrong with it ..thus A it is..

i didnt even care to read ans choices..

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 2

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2008, 10:11
fresinha12 wrote:
i read the sentence..and found absolutely nothing wrong with it ..thus A it is..

That may have worked this time but it is not sure shot way to do it. Sometimes you have another answer choice which may also be grammatically correct but may be more concise than the original one. If you do not read it, you will loose the question.
It is always advisable to read all the answer choices before deciding on any one of them.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2008, 10:23
abhijit_sen wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:

That may have worked this time but it is not sure shot way to do it. Sometimes you have another answer choice which may also be grammatically correct but may be more concise than the original one. If you do not read it, you will loose the question.
It is always advisable to read all the answer choices before deciding on any one of them.

Agree with abhijit.
I do fall into the trap sometimes of thinking that I have spotted the answer and just dont read past to the other choices. I am now unlearning that "skill".

Its a tossup between A and B.
I choose A.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2008, 10:41
abhijit_sen wrote:
dwivedys wrote:

So E for me.

Logically thinking "high-resolution scanners and printers" should make counterfeiting more easy and not difficult. We need to show some sort of contrast here although we have high-resolution scanners and printers, which makes counterfeiting easy, it is still more difficult in present time to do so.

Well, the need to show contrast is brought out in choice A quite clearly. However, if you consider E on its own merit - putting the argument whether these devices make it easier or more difficult aside for a moment - the sentence still makes complete sense - the reason why counterfeiting is difficult today is because of these devices.

Anyway - to be honest - i wasn't very sure whether these devices would make it easy or difficult. I thought their presence would make counterfeiting difficult because it would be easy for these devices to catch counterfeit currency.

I think you are right in choosing A...

2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 667 [2], given: 210

Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution sca [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2008, 04:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Manhattan Prep Official Explanation

The intent of the sentence is to compare counterfeiting today to counterfeiting in the past, using difficulty as the measure. In the original sentence, the comparison is correctly drawn between “today…counterfeiting is” and “it [counterfeiting] was at the time of the Civil War.” Additionally, the use of “despite” accurately conveys the main point that although some new technologies are available, counterfeiting is nevertheless more difficult than it once was.

(A) CORRECT. The original sentence is correct as written.

(B) The intent of the sentence is to compare counterfeiting today to counterfeiting in the past. In this sentence, the placement of “today” after “high resolution scanners and printers” could lead to a misunderstanding about what occurs “today”: the equipment, or perhaps the wide availability of the equipment, rather than the counterfeiting itself.

(C) This sentence is missing “today,” which clearly indicated in the original sentence when the counterfeiting with scanners and printers occurs. The first instance of the pronoun "it" has also been dropped, creating an illogical comparison between an act, “counterfeiting,” and a time, “at the time of the Civil War.” A correct comparison could have been between “today” and “the time of the Civil War”: “…counterfeiting is more difficult today than at the time of the Civil War…”

(D) An illogical comparison is made between an act, “counterfeiting,” and a time, “when it was estimated.”

(E) The point of the original sentence is that counterfeiting is more difficult today “despite,” not “because of,” the technology that is available.

Kudos [?]: 667 [2], given: 210

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2011, 21:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(A) Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

(B) Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers today, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

(C) Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

(D) Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit at the time of the Civil War.

(E) Today, because of widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Note: This question is from MGMAT CAT test; so if you are CAT taker and don't want to see this question in your live test please ignore! I am not sure if this is illegal to post here; please let me know and I will remove the question from here. Forum moderators please let me know if I violated any GMAT Club Forum rule - in which case, please accept my Apologies in advance!

In questions like this:
where the entire "long" sentence is underlined, what kind of strategy could be used?

I read ALL 5 choices and it takes me > 1:30 mins for questions where the entire sentence is underlined. Is there a strategy I can employ that could help me improve this timing?

Last edited by hazelnut on 07 Jun 2017, 22:24, edited 2 times in total.
Added spoiler.

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 17

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2011, 21:49
i also struggle in these types of questions. But sometimes i just try to find out the problems by reading the main sentence and look for the choice that fixes the problem

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2011, 19:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here is a simple strategy i use with SC problems with the complete sentence underlined:

1) Read the choices first starting from the last one (E) - not deeply, but just superficially. I have found that there will be at least one or even two choices which are absolutely incoherent/incorrect. They are just junk and easy to eliminate.

Example: in your problem, choice D (and to some extent E) can be eliminated by a simple glance.

2) Now read the original sentence, eliminating any middleman(appositives/relative clauses etc) to understand the broader meaning. Then start the usual SC Strategy.

Try and see if it helps.

Crick

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 37

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1105 [1], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 08:54
This post received
KUDOS
+1 A

Try to solve the other SC questions in 1 minute to save time for these questions.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1105 [1], given: 109

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [1], given: 25

GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2011, 00:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
B Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers today, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
C Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
D Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit at the time of the Civil War.
E Today, because of widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.

Please explain your answer

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Kudos [?]: 81 [1], given: 25

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2011, 07:15
option B and C are not comparing the possibility of producing the counterfeit currency today to the time of world war.
Option E is completely modifying the meaning of the statement by using the keyword "because"
option D is wordy and awkward.
That leaves us with A which is best of all.

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 42

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [2], given: 5

Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2011, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nishtil wrote:
A Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
Clear and precise

B Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers today, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
Printers today ??? Makes no sense

C Despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
More difficult than at the time ??? Makes no sense

D Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit at the time of the Civil War.
Than When ?? incorrect comparison

E Today, because of widely available technology such as high-resolution scanners and printers, counterfeiting is more difficult than it was at the time of the Civil War, when it was estimated that one-third of all currency in circulation was counterfeit.
Because of ?? Changes the meaning of original sentence

PoE - 'A' :-)

Timing - 1.20 Mins

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

Kudos [?]: 28 [2], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2011, 04:57
nishtil wrote:

I choose A because C&D both have wrong in comparison, and E is wrong in logic(the sentence has no cause-effect relationship that led we use "because of"), but for A&B, the only difference is the placement of "today", and I just prefer A.... Is there any reason why B place "today" in wrong place?

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 235 [0], given: 82

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2014, 06:26
Y i think E shud be correct!

I think ..we use despite to show some negative ..for example.. "Despite abc..govt could not resolve xyz" or despite having lots of resources, manager fail ...

But I can't understand y r we using despite here..??

its because of high resoltion scanner and printers ..its dificult to counterfiet..

please anyone will explain??

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2014, 06:30
sanjoo wrote:
Y i think E shud be correct!

I think ..we use despite to show some negative ..for example.. "Despite abc..govt could not resolve xyz" or despite having lots of resources, manager fail ...

But I can't understand y r we using despite here..??

its because of high resoltion scanner and printers ..its dificult to counterfiet..

please anyone will explain??

Oh Oh.. Sorry after i posted this question.. I read the question again..and I got it now :P lol..

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2014, 23:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Re: Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution sca   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2014, 23:42

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 57 posts ] 

Today, despite widely available technology such as high-resolution sca

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap