Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3066 [21]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [4]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE:Sales (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Environmental scientist: It is true that over the past ten years, ther [#permalink]
Kudos
E is right then but don't show why A is not right?
A could also be an explaination to the situation there.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Environmental scientist: It is true that over the past ten years, ther [#permalink]
Environmental scientist: It is true that over the past ten years, there has been a sixfold increase in government funding for the preservation of wetlands while the total area of wetlands needing such preservation has increased only twofold (although this area was already large ten years ago). Even when inflation is taken into account, the amount of funding now is at least three times what it was ten years ago. Nevertheless, the current amount of government funding for the preservation of wetlands is inadequate and should be augmented.

Type-paradox

(A) The governmental agency responsible for administering wetland-preservation funds has been consistently mismanaged and run inefficiently over the past ten years.- incorrect; this deepens the paradox-
If the money has been consistently mismanaged, then the current amount of funding might be adequate
(B) Over the past ten years, the salaries of scientists employed by the government to work on the preservation of wetlands have increased at a rate higher than the inflation rate. - irrelevant; Salaries increasing at a rate higher than the inflation rate does not tell us that the level of funding is inadequate as there are lots of other things that add up to costs needed to preserve the wetlands.
Also, even if we assume that salaries of scientist are a major expense(from the fund), it still does not explain a 6x increase in funding.
(C) Research over the past ten years has enabled scientists today to identify wetlands in need of preservation well before the areas are at serious risk of destruction. - irrelevant; just the identification of more areas will not increase the need for funding
(D) More people today scientists and nonscientists alike, are working to preserve all natural resources including wetlands. - incorrect; at best this is not relevant and at worst this deepens the paradox as have all working to preserve
(E) Unlike today, funding for the preservation of wetlands was almost nonexistent ten years ago.- Correct; If the initial funding amount ten years was very little, then six times of that amount will still be little today

Answer A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 150
Schools: IIMA WBS '22
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
@martytatgettestprepmurty @varitaskarishma egmat GMATNinja

can u please tell me why option choice B is not better off e
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Skywalker18 wrote:
Environmental scientist: It is true that over the past ten years, there has been a sixfold increase in government funding for the preservation of wetlands while the total area of wetlands needing such preservation has increased only twofold (although this area was already large ten years ago). Even when inflation is taken into account, the amount of funding now is at least three times what it was ten years ago. Nevertheless, the current amount of government funding for the preservation of wetlands is inadequate and should be augmented.

Type-paradox

(A) The governmental agency responsible for administering wetland-preservation funds has been consistently mismanaged and run inefficiently over the past ten years.- incorrect; this deepens the paradox-
If the money has been consistently mismanaged, then the current amount of funding might be adequate

(E) Unlike today, funding for the preservation of wetlands was almost nonexistent ten years ago.- Correct; If the initial funding amount ten years was very little, then six times of that amount will still be little today

Answer A

Good explanation overall, I would have liked a bit more detail on why answer choice A deepens the paradox :p

Also; You mistakenly said "Answer A" although you clearly meant "Answer E"

And to add to WHY answer choice A is wrong:

To paraphrase the passage: A certain project has had consistent increases in funding over the past 10 years. Although the project is now receiving 3x the funding it was 10 years ago, and the project has only doubled in size since then, we should increase funding even further.

We are asked to reconcile, i.e resolve the paradox, or for this case: Why should we follow the suggestion given all the facts presented?

Answer choice A tells us: "Well because the project is being mismanaged!"

This isn't a logical argument ANYONE would reply with. How do we know that further funding won't actually make the mismanagement of funds EVEN WORSE?

As skywalker said, this deepens the paradox, it's not actually an explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Can anyone Please explain why "B" is wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Rakeshtewatia wrote:

You're looking to explain why it is that the seemingly contradictory statements aren't actually contradictory. (B) does nothing to address this; if you think it does can you explain how?

First we should establish whether you understand the passage & question (I find this to be very tough even as a native)

And second, we should establish whether you have correctly identified premises and conclusion

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
ahabib wrote:
Rakeshtewatia wrote:

You're looking to explain why it is that the seemingly contradictory statements aren't actually contradictory. (B) does nothing to address this; if you think it does can you explain how?

First we should establish whether you understand the passage & question (I find this to be very tough even as a native)

And second, we should establish whether you have correctly identified premises and conclusion

Posted from my mobile device

I also think answer can be B. The statement says that the funding has multiplied 6 times and adjusting inflation it is 3 times, an amount seems legit with the growth but still more is required. Why?

Maybe the funding is going somewhere else and option B says that the scientists are getting more money as it is costlier than inflation. Bingo! It says the costs are more going towards salaries and yes it will undermine the three times funding.

Based on the above reasoning, I would prefer option B over A or E.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
KaranB1 wrote:
@martytatgettestprepmurty @varitaskarishma egmat GMATNinja

can u please tell me why option choice B is not better off e

Before jumping into the answer choices, let's take another look at the key pieces of the passage and the question stem.

The environmental scientists concludes that:
Quote:
the current amount of government funding for the preservation of wetlands is inadequate and should be augmented.

S/he reaches this conclusion despite the following evidence:

• "Over the past ten years, there has been a sixfold increase in government funding for the preservation of wetlands while the total area of wetlands needing such preservation has increased only twofold."
  • "Even when inflation is taken into account, the amount of funding now is at least three times what it was ten years ago."

So, despite the fact that funding has at least tripled in the last ten years while the area of wetlands needing protection has only doubled, the scientist concludes that the government funding "is inadequate and should be augmented."

Our task is to the answer choice that, "if true, most helps to reconcile the environmental scientist's conclusion with the evidence cited above."

Let's take a look at (E) first:
Quote:
(E) Unlike today, funding for the preservation of wetlands was almost nonexistent ten years ago.

This reconciles the scientist's conclusion with the evidence nicely, because the evidence sets up a comparison between the growth of funding (at least tripled) and the growth of protected land (only twofold) in the past ten years. Tripling an "almost nonexistent" amount of funding could easily mean that the funding is still inadequate, even if the protected land area has increased at a lower rate than has the amount of funding. (E) is looking good.

Quote:
(B) Over the past ten years, the salaries of scientists employed by the government to work on the preservation of wetlands have increased at a rate higher than the inflation rate.

This statement provides one potential reason to validate increased government funding, but does it truly reconcile the evidence and the conclusion? The statement simply does not provide enough information to answer that question. For example, funding for the wetlands has already increased at a rate higher than the inflation rate -- does this gap account for the increase in scientists' salaries, or is the increase in funding still inadequate? We do not have enough information to know one way or the other.

The question stem asks us which answer choice "most helps to reconcile the environmental scientist's conclusion with the evidence." (B) may be tempting, but as it does not clearly reconcile the conclusion with the evidence, we can eliminate it.

(E) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts