Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1870 [205]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64911 [34]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [14]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31918 [7]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Epidemiologist: In Brazil, schistosomiasis and malaria are the two mos [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Epidemiologist: In Brazil, schistosomiasis and malaria are the two most common infectious diseases. Over the past five years, schistosomiasis has been primarily responsible for the overall increase in infectious disease cases. Therefore it is likely that there were more cases of schistosomiasis than malaria five years ago.

Which of the following most strengthens the argument above?

A. Over the past five years, the percentage of infectious disease cases caused by schistosomiasis has remained unchanged, but the percentage of cases caused by malaria has increased substantially.
CORRECT...lets look at the logic. even though the % of infectious disease cases caused by schistosomiasis(S) has remained unchanged and the percentage of cases caused by malaria(M) has increased substantially, still schistosomiasis(S) has been primarily responsible for the overall increase in infectious disease cases.....
[b]this can be only possible if the number of schistosomiasis are way more than malaria five years ago, as a small %increase of a large S will result in a greater number than a high % in a smaller M[/b]

B. Trends in infectious disease data tend to persist for decades, unless there is a major breakthrough in treatment regimens.
Out of scope- major breakthrough in treatment

C. Five years ago, many more people died from schistosomiasis than died from malaria.
the number of deaths may not necessarily give you more number of cases of that diseases....
It is possible that the cases of schistosomiasis were less but so severe that many of them were fatal.

D. Over the past five years, the percentage of infectious disease cases caused by malaria was not significantly greater than the percentage of cases caused by schistosomiasis.
doesn help much

E. Over the past five years, the percentage of infectious disease cases caused by diseases other than malaria and schistosomiasis did not increase substantially.
out of scope
A
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: Epidemiologist: In Brazil, schistosomiasis and malaria are the two mos [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
thelosthippie wrote:
Epidemiologist: In Brazil, schistosomiasis and malaria are the two most common infectious diseases. Over the past five years, schistosomiasis has been primarily responsible for the overall increase in infectious disease cases. Therefore it is likely that there were more cases of schistosomiasis than malaria five years ago.

A. Over the past five years, the percentage of infectious disease cases caused by schistosomiasis has remained unchanged, but the percentage of cases caused by malaria has increased substantially.

B. Trends in infectious disease data tend to persist for decades, unless there is a major breakthrough in treatment regimens.

C. Five years ago, many more people died from schistosomiasis than died from malaria.

D. Over the past five years, the percentage of infectious disease cases caused by malaria was not significantly greater than the percentage of cases caused by schistosomiasis.

E. Over the past five years, the percentage of infectious disease cases caused by diseases other than malaria and schistosomiasis did not increase substantially.

Can someone quite eloborate on answer choices , i'm not quite getting this. please. :)

I feel C is the correct answer .

Question analysis:

schistosomiasis ->major cause in overall increase in infectious disease cases

conclusion: there were more cases of schistosomiasis thanb of malaria five years ago.

So we know that the percentage growth of schistosomiasis is greater to the percentage increase of malaria over the five years .

If only we can prove malaria and schistosomiasis were of same levels before five years or schistosomiasis was of much higher level than the cases of malaria we wold have achieved our goal.

Only option C satisfies this.
Please confirm the answer choice someone. Very good question. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Please look at my comments inline:

Question analysis:

schistosomiasis ->major cause in overall increase in infectious disease cases :You are correct here

conclusion: there were more cases of schistosomiasis thanb of malaria five years ago.

So we know that the percentage growth of schistosomiasis is greater to the percentage increase of malaria over the five years :Wrong we cant assume this.
May be the base of malaria was so small that a greater percentage will not mean more cases.Ex lets assume 10 cases of malaria and 90 of schistosomiasis means even if malaria grows my 100% to 20 and schistosomiasis doesnt grow,still schistosomiasis will contribute more cases.

If only we can prove malaria and schistosomiasis were of same levels before five years or schistosomiasis was of much higher level than the cases of malaria we wold have achieved our goal.
You are right here and this is proved by option A..
The reasoning is that as per option A ,the percentage of infectious disease cases caused by schistosomiasis has remained unchanged, but the percentage of cases caused by malaria has increased substantially and yet schistosomiasis has been primarily responsible for the overall increase in infectious disease cases..This means that schistosomiasis was of much higher level than the cases of malaria9as you have said above).

Only option C satisfies this. Wrong as option C talks only about death and not about number of cases so easy to eliminiate this option.

In these kind of question try to eliminate as many option as poosible so that your foucus is on understanding the implication of the options remaining.
Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A seems the best for the following reasoning, though I went with A, D seems very close, any alternate explanation why D can be eliminated?

From the argument, we gather that Schist has been primarily responsible for overall iincrease in ifectious diseases. Now lets come to this answer. Schist percentage remains same. With this infor schist is still major contributor, so let us safely assume that schist makes up 60% of infectious diseases. If malaria made significant increases, then malaria may have gone from 15% five years ago to 40% now, still a substantial increase. Therefore this answer gives us good reason to believe schist had more cases than malaria five years ago Correct answer.
The words like tend to imply a good possibility, but this in itself is not sufficient to best support above argument.
This choice is misleading, more deaths does not mean more cases of infection.
This only talks about past 5 years, this choice does not rule out possibility of more cases of malaria 5 years ago
Other diseases not increasing does not give us enough information to make a comparison between Malaria and schist.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Here are the mathematical proof that answer 1 is correct.

Posted from my mobile device
Attachments

File comment: Math proof
wx_camera_1494127641430.jpg
wx_camera_1494127641430.jpg [ 92.97 KiB | Viewed 25127 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
Send PM
mikemcgarry GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

Can you please shed more light on D?

Karishma you gave the following explanation :

This says that % of malaria cases was not much greater (though perhaps a little greater) than % of schistosomiasis cases over the past 5 years. If anything, this weakens our conclusion. It indirectly implies that out of 100 cases 5 yrs ago, malaria cases were slightly more than schistosomiasis cases.

Can you please tell me if my understanding of this is correct?
Say there were 100 cases 5 years ago!
51%-M - 51 cases
49%-S- 49 cases

so S cases were less than M but since now S is the cause of most cases, S would have increased over time.

But we can't say S was greater 5 years ago?

Am i right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Very tough..IMO OA is A
In my case, I was confused between A and E
This is my reasoning

-> Keep
-> 'treatment regimens' : Out of scope
-> incorrect.
Let's suppose malaria is more fatal than schistomiasis. Then we do not need to think about the percentage.
-> Incorrect. This is just a fact.
-> Keep

I chose A, because let's suppose there is another disease C.
If the percentage of C is 90%, then E can weaken the passage.
But in A, for example, the percentage of schistosomiasis was always 50%, but the percentage of malaria was changed suddenly
,for example, 5% to 50%(Because schistosomiasis was always 50%), it can strengthen the passage.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64911 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
HG0815 wrote:
Very tough..IMO OA is A
In my case, I was confused between A and E
This is my reasoning

-> Keep
-> 'treatment regimens' : Out of scope
-> incorrect.
Let's suppose malaria is more fatal than schistomiasis. Then we do not need to think about the percentage.
-> Incorrect. This is just a fact.
-> Keep

I chose A, because let's suppose there is another disease C.
If the percentage of C is 90%, then E can weaken the passage.
But in A, for example, the percentage of schistosomiasis was always 50%, but the percentage of malaria was changed suddenly
,for example, 5% to 50%(Because schistosomiasis was always 50%), it can strengthen the passage.

C cannot be 90% since two most common infectious diseases are malaria and schistosomiasis.

(E) is irrelevant since we are comparing malaria vs schistosomiasis increase. What happened to the number of others is immaterial.

We see that number of schistosomiasis cases has increased substantially. If the percentage of infectious disease cases caused by schistosomiasis has remained same, but the percentage of cases caused by malaria has increased substantially but still in actual number terms, the number of cases of schistosomiasis is the same, it could mean that the initial percentage of schistosomiasis cases was more.

Say if x% cases were of schistosomiasis 5 yrs ago and y% of malaria, assuming that the percentage of cases of schistosomiasis remains constant, when will they account for most of the new disease cases? The number of new cases of schistosomiasis will be x% of the additional number of total cases. They will be majority of the new cases if x > 50%.
Hence (A) works.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64911 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
srishti201996 wrote:

This says that % of malaria cases was not much greater (though perhaps a little greater) than % of schistosomiasis cases over the past 5 years. If anything, this weakens our conclusion. It indirectly implies that out of 100 cases 5 yrs ago, malaria cases were slightly more than schistosomiasis cases.

51%-M - 51 cases
49%-S- 49 cases

so S cases were less than M but since now S is the cause of most cases, S would have increased over time.

Am i right?

If schistosomiasis has been primarily responsible for the overall increase in infectious disease cases over the past 5 years and we want to conclude that there must have been more cases of schistosomiasis 5 years ago, we need to say that percentage of schistosomiasis cases has either remained same or decreased slightly.
Only then , if today too they are majority in number in the extra cases, they must have been majority in number 5 years back too.
So (A) works.

Let's look at (D).
Over the past five years, the percentage of infectious disease cases caused by malaria was not significantly greater than the percentage of cases caused by schistosomiasis.
(D) says that percentage of malaria cases was not significantly greater than percentage of schistosomiasis cases. We actually want the percentage of schistosomiasis cases to be higher than those of malaria over the past 5 yrs so that majority of extra cases are of schistosomiasis. So option (D) does not work.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
srishti201996 wrote:

51%-M - 51 cases
49%-S- 49 cases

Am i right?

Dear srishti201996,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, context is everything. The prompt says, "Over the past five years, schistosomiasis has been primarily responsible for the overall increase in infectious disease cases." That's evidence. That means that when we look at the total number of new cases of infectious disease, schistosomiasis accounts for well over 50% of them. If the number new cases of malaria were anything close, anything comparable, to the number of new cases of schistosomiasis, then this statement would be false. To say one thing is primarily responsible is to say that all other things combined are, in aggregate, not as powerful, not as influential, as that one thing. This is absolutely crucial to keep in mind with this argument.

Choice (D) directly contradicts this piece of evidence.
If about the same number of people had one or the other, then it would be patently false to say that only schistosomiasis was "primarily responsible for the overall increase in infectious disease cases."
This directly contradicts the evidence in the prompt. That's not the sign of a good strengthener!

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 932 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
thelosthippie wrote:

Understand :
1) S and M are most common [ ie. if there are 100 cases of infec diseases , S and M account for more than 50 (S+M>50%)
2)S is the major contributor for the INCREASE for IDs

Conclusion: FIVE YEARS AGO - number of cases of S>M ( note : NUMBER OF CASES)

Prethinking :
let cases with scisht = S
Cases with malaria = M
other cases = O
Therefore : S+M+O =100

New cases =50
S= 30 (assumed as per given info as S is MAJOR contributor for INCREASE)
M= 15( assumed as per given info as S and M both are MOST COMMON so M will still be GREATER than OTHER cases
O=5

Conclusion : before the increase S>M

Do not try to prethink here as there will be 3 cases which you would have to test in order to concur with the conclusion

ANswer choices :

: Now as per given ans choice the percentage of cases 5 years ago and over past 5 years is the SAME and percentage of M has inreased (Note: percentage is given and not numbers)
5 years ago : no. of Schiest = S
suppose S account for (x) percent for all cases.--- S= (x)/100 * total cases (100) ........ (1)

over past 5 yrs : total number of sciest cases : S+30
As per A : S+30 = (x)/100 * new total cases (150)........ (2)

Therefore : substitute value of (x)/100 from (1) in (2)

S+30= S/100 *150
Solve for S >> S=60

Therefore , M has to be less than or equal to 40 but cannot be greater than 40..... Therfore the conclusion = S>M
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos

Official Veritas

Explanation

The logic in the original argument is clearly flawed. You are given two premises: 1. The total number of infectious disease cases is growing (in other words the size of the pie has increased), and 2. Of those new cases, schistosomiasis accounts for the greatest number. Then the conclusion erroneously states that there were likely more cases of schistosomiasis than malaria 5 years ago. There is a huge gap between the two premises and the conclusion. What if, if for instance, there were 5000 cases of malaria 5 years ago and 1,000 cases of schistosomiasis. In the past 5 years, there could have been 500 new cases of schistosomiasis and only 100 new cases of malaria.

Then you have met all the conditions given by the premises (the total has increased and schistosomiasis has accounted for a majority of those cases) but there were clearly more malaria cases than schistosomiasis cases 5 years ago. You need something that removes this possibility and increases the likelihood that there were more cases of schistosomiasis than malaria 5 years ago. Answer choice (A) does this perfectly (it guarantees the conclusion), but it is very difficult to comprehend because of the difficult presentation of data.

Combining (A) with the premises in the original stimulus, you know that schistosomiasis accounted for the most number of new cases over the past five years AND its percentage of the pie remained unchanged. Malaria accounted for fewer new cases AND its percentage of the pie INCREASED. This means that there must have been more cases of schistosomiasis 5 years ago than malaria cases. If there had been more malaria cases, then an increase in its percentage of an increasing pie would have meant that it accounted for more new cases than schistosomiasis. (B) and (C) are relatively easy to eliminate because the death rates are not relevant and the trends may or may not have changed over the time period as you know nothing about what has happened with treatment regimens. (D) is the difficult sucker choice and is the opposite of answer choice. You need the percentage of new cases to be higher for malaria in order to prove this conclusion, so (D) is wrong. In (E) the percentage of other infectious diseases is not important, as it does not affect the important relationships between malaria and schistosomiasis in this conclusion. Answer is (A).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:

CORRECT...lets look at the logic. even though the % of infectious disease cases caused by schistosomiasis(S) has remained unchanged and the percentage of cases caused by malaria(M) has increased substantially, still schistosomiasis(S) has been primarily responsible for the overall increase in infectious disease cases.....
[b]this can be only possible if the number of schistosomiasis are way more than malaria five years ago, as a small %increase of a large S will result in a greater number than a high % in a smaller M[/b]

Out of scope- major breakthrough in treatment

the number of deaths may not necessarily give you more number of cases of that diseases....
It is possible that the cases of schistosomiasis were less but so severe that many of them were fatal.

doesn help much

out of scope
A

Hello Chetan,

The explanation for statement (A) seems so logical to me. However, I have a doubt. Is the question not referring to percent over the last five years (= Number of cases of disease caused by schistosomiasis /Total number of cases of Disease)? How can we calculate the percent during last five years as a fraction of number of cases before 5 years?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 821
GPA: 3.93
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I found a very novel approach for this question which I would like to share ----> growth graph.

Do plot the graph as you read solution to understand better.

For answer A:

Place imaginary points for "todays" scenario. S>M. Also S is primarily responsible for total increase.
Plot points Total, S, M on graph. For example to visualize: put Total= (5,5), S = (5,4) and M = (5,2).

Now, option A says, % of S/T is same today as 5 years ago.
Plot points for this statement. But here is the catch. S/T is same. So, gap between S and T on graph must remain same (in our example Y = 1 is the gap).

Plot points for statement A : put Total= (3,2), S = (3,1). Now what can M be? Statement A: cases of malaria increased significantly. Which means, gap today between M and T(y=2 from graph) is much much less today than 5 years ago. Plot these figures, and see for yourself. So 5 years ago gap between M and Total MUST be alot more than 2. Let it be 5.
So M would be (3,-6). Definitely it strengthens that S >> M which is our conclusion.

Kudos if it helps :)

Regards
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts