Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1748 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V47
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink]
good luck with your interview! let us know how it went :-D

vgeri wrote:
hey bajargyan! welcome to the roll call - that makes two of us in R1 for now! :)

so how did your interview go? what kind of questions did they ask you? did they tell you how long it'll take before they make a decision? good luck with the whole process mate!!

my interview is tomorrow! :shock: i'm so busy at work I had barely any time to prepare. it's nice to hear you had a pleasant experience. mine will be a face-to-face.

couldn't agree with you more re the experience with the school so far - seems very friendly, personal, but professional!

bajargyan wrote:
Hello Everyone,

it great to see a post on ESADE Business School. I have applied to the school in the first round and i had an interview on Monday 01. november on the Phone for about 40-50 mins long. It was a good interview i think, but still nervous on what is going to happen. :oops:

Vgeri when is your interview? good luck for it though and i believe it would be the better interview experiences you will have as they really make you feel at ease. :-D

I think ESADE is a great school and its very personalized compared to some other programs out there or atleast i have so experienced till now. They have a very flexible program which meets the needs for both young professionals and professionals with more than the average work experience.

There is not much u can say about barcelona! I think nothing can beat that in terms of location for and MBA. Have read great things about ESADE and barcelona on ex-students blogs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks for your input bajargyan!

beckee529 wrote:
good luck with your interview! let us know how it went :-D

vgeri wrote:
hey bajargyan! welcome to the roll call - that makes two of us in R1 for now! :)

so how did your interview go? what kind of questions did they ask you? did they tell you how long it'll take before they make a decision? good luck with the whole process mate!!

my interview is tomorrow! :shock: i'm so busy at work I had barely any time to prepare. it's nice to hear you had a pleasant experience. mine will be a face-to-face.

couldn't agree with you more re the experience with the school so far - seems very friendly, personal, but professional!

bajargyan wrote:
Hello Everyone,

it great to see a post on ESADE Business School. I have applied to the school in the first round and i had an interview on Monday 01. november on the Phone for about 40-50 mins long. It was a good interview i think, but still nervous on what is going to happen. :oops:

Vgeri when is your interview? good luck for it though and i believe it would be the better interview experiences you will have as they really make you feel at ease. :-D

I think ESADE is a great school and its very personalized compared to some other programs out there or atleast i have so experienced till now. They have a very flexible program which meets the needs for both young professionals and professionals with more than the average work experience.

There is not much u can say about barcelona! I think nothing can beat that in terms of location for and MBA. Have read great things about ESADE and barcelona on ex-students blogs.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V47
Send PM
andygee wrote:
hi guys,

I received an offer from ESADE yesterday... I interviewed with them at their open-day on the 30st of October, the whole day was a great experience and I am very impressed. I had about the same interview questions, even though I also had to do a short case study. This was basically a text with a couple of questions like summarize it, would you invest in this business, how would you market and sell it, what is the target market... so quite easy stuff...

about my profile: I studied biology in switzerland, did my phd in roche (pharma) and am now working at kings college in research... I got 3 years work experience (as a scientist), but have got very clear plans why I want to do an MBA and so on. GMAT I scored 710 and my academics are quite strong; I speak german, english, french and some italian.

I also applied to LBS and got an invitation for an interview... however, I am running into a problem here: ESADE wants my decision (and 8000 euros deposit) until november 27th, whereas LBS will only communicate their decision on december 16th... so what can I do? ask ESADE about an extension (which they obviously not gonna like as they want to be 1st choice)? the thing is that I really like ESADE and its feel: the people are great, the admin officers amazing and I was impressed by the level of personal interaction between professors, students and career service... students seem to see each other not as competitors which is great. however, I haven't made my mind up what I would do if I would get an offer from LBS as well since it is one of the top schools worldwide... but keeping both options open would only be reasonable I think, but I don't know how to handle this timing/deadline issue... has anyone got a suggestion or has had similar experiences?

any thoughts welcome

thanks

hey andygee, welcome to the thread!

first of all: congratulations for your admit - that's fantastic! :-D
it's really nice to hear you had a good feel for the school too at the open day.

second: that's a really tough call mate, and I definitely symphatise with you. I feel like I might be in your shoes pretty soon: I only applied with 2 schools, ESADE and LBS. I'd be really happy with either of those. I had an interview with ESADE this week, and got an invite from LBS. I don't want to get ahead of myself, as I'm far from being accepted anywhere yet, BUT - certainly crossed my mind what will I do if I get an offer and acceptance deadline is before LBS decision date....

I'd like to help you, but I am short of ideas myself. I guess you might have two options: either try to extend ESADE deadline, or try get an earlier decision from LBS after your interview. I don't know if that is possible at all, as they might want to make all decisions simultaneously. The advantage is that you could say 'you are my definite first choice, can you give me an early decision so I can turn down my second choice which already accepted me' rather than going to ESADE and say: 'well I'm happy with the offer but waiting for another one to come in, can you stick it out...?' But at the same time, ESADE obviously want you, and might be willing to extend for another 2 weeks?

I have a feeling this is a common problem for many, just with other schools involved - have you tried searching the forum for this topic? If not, I would post a new topic asking about decision deadlines specifically. There is so much great advice here, I'm sure you will learn somthing!

Other than that, it might be worth really thinking through what you want. Yes, LBS is a top school, but so is ESADE. You might be able to make a decision based on all your experiences in Barcelona? I see you're based in London - maybe go for a drop in, and see if you like the place as much as you did ESADE. You might be able to make up your mind without having to wait for their decision?

anyway, good luck with your decisions, and the LBS interview! it seems we might end up same place next year?
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V47
Send PM
bajargyan wrote:
From the experience i have had so far i believe MBA programs are aware that students apply to various schools and its normal for student to wait for results from couple of other schools. Just as the admission officer's says you should not wait on just one school.. i think they would not mind if you would like to ask for an extension...If you really would like to wait for LBS..then you should just ask them for an extension...

Congrats once again...and good luck with your LBS application... :-D

i am certainly no expert in the field, but just wanted to say that I was at an ESADE info event last week, and the presenter specifically said they are not keen on extending the decision deadlines.

the best approach might be to give your admissions contact an informal call (I assume you have a good relationship with him/her after the whole process) and explain the situation. If you do it nicely, i dont think it can hurt, and worst case scenario is that she says 'sorry, i understand, but we have a policy of not extending'. But they will definitely not revoke you admit or anything like that!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: PhD
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Management in Pharmaceuticals
Schools:LBS, ESADE
 Q45  V42
Send PM
hi guys,

thanks a lot for your help. I think the suggestion to try to make an decision based on your experiences with the respective schools is very good. I did go to an information evening at LBS and it confirmed two things: LBS is an amazing school, however it is very big and you won't be able to establish such a close relationship with the professors as it will be possible at ESADE. You also won't be able to get to know all the other students. It really depends on what you prefer.

however, I did some research on the deadline extension topic and there are a couple of threads. I can't post the link as it won't let me, but just look for deposit deadline extension.

there is a number of people who have got the same problem... most people suggest to pay the deposit and then withdraw. however, this is not an option at ESADE as the deposit is 8000 euros! other people suggest to ask the admin officers nicely for an extension. I think this is my best option, even though I will be a bit worried of spoiling my relationship with the admin team, but this is a risk that I will have to take I guess. you would think though that such a great school as ESADE will understand that you apply to more than one school. as you said, the lovely admin officer of ESADE pointed out that they are not keen on extending the deadlines (the event you mentioned was at the mba center, finsbury square... right? :) ) do you think I should give them a call or send an e-mail?

I will also e-mail LBS on monday and ask if the interview and decision communication process can be sped up. I believe it won't be possible as I think they like to stick to their announced deadlines, but it is worth a try...

I will keep you posted :)
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V47
Send PM
andygee wrote:
hi guys,

thanks a lot for your help. I think the suggestion to try to make an decision based on your experiences with the respective schools is very good. I did go to an information evening at LBS and it confirmed two things: LBS is an amazing school, however it is very big and you won't be able to establish such a close relationship with the professors as it will be possible at ESADE. You also won't be able to get to know all the other students. It really depends on what you prefer.

however, I did some research on the deadline extension topic and there are a couple of threads. I can't post the link as it won't let me, but just look for deposit deadline extension.

there is a number of people who have got the same problem... most people suggest to pay the deposit and then withdraw. however, this is not an option at ESADE as the deposit is 8000 euros! other people suggest to ask the admin officers nicely for an extension. I think this is my best option, even though I will be a bit worried of spoiling my relationship with the admin team, but this is a risk that I will have to take I guess. you would think though that such a great school as ESADE will understand that you apply to more than one school. as you said, the lovely admin officer of ESADE pointed out that they are not keen on extending the deadlines (the event you mentioned was at the mba center, finsbury square... right? :) ) do you think I should give them a call or send an e-mail?

I will also e-mail LBS on monday and ask if the interview and decision communication process can be sped up. I believe it won't be possible as I think they like to stick to their announced deadlines, but it is worth a try...

I will keep you posted :)

andygee - that was finsbury square indeed! :-D

I agree that best option is ask nicely for extension - personally, I would go for a phone call. Have a little chit-chat, explain how thrilled you are with the offer, and then explain how you want to make a decision once you have full info on your other application. you will get a much better feel for her reaction. just maybe prepare a few positive ways of closing the conversation depending on what she answers...

good luck and keep us posted!!
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V47
Send PM
guys, have you got any news?

andygee, have you tried asking for a deadline extension?

bajargyan - are you still waiting for your result?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy management
Schools:ESADE, IESE, HEC
 Q47  V31
GPA: 3.21
WE 1: ESADE
Send PM
hey vgeri

Yea i am still waiting for the result..haven't heard anything from them yet.. it will probably be coming any day now and its really getting to me.. how about you? is there any news ??
Intern
Intern
 Q45  V42
Send PM
Guys,

I haven't asked yet... first decided to meet up with an LBS alumni on Thursday in preparation of my interview... I will also ask him some more questions about LBS and hopefully get an even better idea of the school. If I still can't make a decision, then I will contact ESADE next week to ask for an extension.

I e-mailed two people who interviewed with me on the 30.10.2009 and neither of them has heard anything from ESADE... I thought you might be interested in that. Also, after my interview with ESADE I just e-mailed the admin office and asked when I could expect to hear from the... and they told me. :) They are very nice... and this is the reason why I am hesitant to ask for an extension!

Good luck and keep me posted!
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V47
Send PM
andygee wrote:
I e-mailed two people who interviewed with me on the 30.10.2009 and neither of them has heard anything from ESADE... I thought you might be interested in that. Also, after my interview with ESADE I just e-mailed the admin office and asked when I could expect to hear from the... and they told me. :) They are very nice... and this is the reason why I am hesitant to ask for an extension!

wow - that's interesting! do you think it's a case of getting back quickly to successful candidates and not so quickly to dings? that will make bajargyan and me a bit more nervous while we wait! :? good idea re finding out a bit more from your LBS contact. by the way, if he gives you some good tips, can you post them on the LBS thread? :)

bajargyan - like you I am still waiting. They have put me in touch with a current student so I can ask more direct questions about life at the school - will do that over the next few days. I'm quite keen on going to Bcn for their next open day (27 Nov) but obviously wouldn't like to go if they reject me - so for the moment I'm waiting.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy management
Schools:ESADE, IESE, HEC
 Q47  V31
GPA: 3.21
WE 1: ESADE
Send PM
Well.. i hope what you are saying vgeri is not true.. :?

I wonder how they are going to evaluate someone based on a telephone interview.. but as it is.. i hope they are more like really contemplating than already rejected us... if they had then i think they would have told us so..
I did ask the interviewer by when i should expect the result..and she told me it should be within 2 weeks.. so from the day of the interview i am into my second week..so i guess anytime now i should hear.

Vgeri i think you will know the response before Nov. 27th.
Intern
Intern
 Q45  V42
Send PM
I don't think they decided already. What I assume is that because I have got a very unusual profile (researcher), it was easier for them to decide as by nature only a handful of scientist (if that) apply every year...

I wouldn't be worried too much and I am sure they will let you know before the 27th. However, I will be in Barcelona as well on the weekend of the 27th...

If I get good tips and ideas from my LBS contact then I will post them on the LBS thread...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello guys,

This thread has been really useful for me. I have my interview with ESADE on the 21st of this month at NYC.

@bajargyan and @vgeri, thanks guys for your insights on the interview. Will update my experience once i'm done.

btw what is the name of the lady who interviewed you (vgeri and bajargyan)?
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V47
Send PM
ghk wrote:
Hello guys,

This thread has been really useful for me. I have my interview with ESADE on the 21st of this month at NYC.

@bajargyan and @vgeri, thanks guys for your insights on the interview. Will update my experience once i'm done.

btw what is the name of the lady who interviewed you (vgeri and bajargyan)?

hey ghk! welcome to the thread!

Best of luck with your interview! What's your background and what other schools are you looking at?

I will pm you the name of my interviewer

Keep us updated on your application progress!
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V47
Send PM
guys! I just got my admit!!

:lol:

I am in the same shoes now as andygee - deposit deadline is 4th Dec, LBS decision comes out 16th Dec. But I will worry about that later, for now I'm just very happy!

good luck everyone else! bajargyan - any news?
Intern
Intern
 Q45  V42
Send PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

... and welcome to my shoes... :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
vgeri wrote:
guys! I just got my admit!!

:lol:

I am in the same shoes now as andygee - deposit deadline is 4th Dec, LBS decision comes out 16th Dec. But I will worry about that later, for now I'm just very happy!

good luck everyone else! bajargyan - any news?

Thank you so much for the warm welcome.

And my hearty congratulations to you for your success. The dilemma your talking about - thats a good dilemma :-D - a joyful experience.

Now as for me, I live in NYC, and i'm targeting EU schools and then some Asian schools. I have 5yrs of exp as a consultant and now i'm looking for a change both professionally and geographically!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts