GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Aug 2020, 12:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ESR Analysis - [Post Enhanced Score Report Analysis Requests Here]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
ESR Analysis - [Post Enhanced Score Report Analysis Requests Here]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Jan 2020, 21:18

ESR Analysis Requests - Master Thread

!
If you would like to have an expert analyze your GMAT Enhanced Score Report, please post it here and give it 1-2 business days. One of the experts will post their feedback. We strongly recommend removing your personal details from the report before uploading it.

What is an ESR?
Enhanced Score Report (ESR) is a product marketed by GMAC and available to those who have taken the official GMAT (including those who have canceled their score). It costs $30 and you can learn more about it here. Note that they take about 3 days to activate and generate.

How does and ESR Look?
You can get a sample look of one here

Are ESR's useful?
This is a philosophical question and while most people agree that they are useful, there is a vast degree of disagreement of how much useful they really are... I hope you find them useful but at the same time, I feel they lack specifics and clarity besides pointing some big issues out (e.g. RC vs SC vs CR)

ESR Resources:
Conclusions from GMAT algorithm study based on ESR analyses by Hiline who scored 770
Initial ESR Announcement & Reports on GMAT Club
From 700 (Q51 V34) to 770 (Q51 V42) - ESR attached

Sample Score Report:

Attachment:
2020-01-15_21-16-55.png
2020-01-15_21-16-55.png [ 65.98 KiB | Viewed 1949 times ]

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!

Originally posted by bb on 08 Nov 2017, 09:25.
Last edited by bb on 15 Jan 2020, 21:18, edited 5 times in total.
Update
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: ESR Analysis - [Post Enhanced Score Report Analysis Requests Here]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2020, 15:32
aerograce wrote:

Hi, yes definitely! Would appreciate if you can give me some tips

I’m happy to help! I’ll start with CR.

When studying Critical Reasoning, you need to ensure that you fully understand the essence of the various question types. Do you know the importance of an assumption within an argument? Can you easily spot a conclusion? Do you know how to resolve a paradox? Do you know how to properly evaluate cause and effect? Do you know how to properly weaken or strengthen an argument? These are just a few examples; you really need to take a deep dive into the individual Critical Reasoning topics to develop the necessary skills to properly attack any Critical Reasoning questions that you encounter.

As you learn each Critical Reasoning problem type, do focused practice so that you can track your skill in answering each type. If, for example, you incorrectly answered a Weaken the Argument question, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

When practicing Reading Comprehension, you need to develop a reading strategy that is both efficient and thorough. Reading too fast and not understanding what you have read are equally as harmful as reading too slow and using up too much time. When attacking Reading Comprehension passages, you must have one clear goal in mind: to understand the context of what you are reading. However, you must do so efficiently, so you need to avoid getting bogged down in the details of each paragraph and focus on understanding the main point of each paragraph. That being said, do not fall into the trap of thinking that you can just read the intro and the conclusion and comprehend the main idea of a paragraph. As you read a paragraph, consider how the context of the paragraph relates to previous paragraphs, so you can continue developing your overall understanding of the passage. Furthermore, as you practice Reading Comprehension, focus on the exact types of questions with which you struggle: Find the Main Idea, Inference, Author’s Tone, etc. As with Critical Reasoning, analyze your incorrect answers to better determine why you tend to get a particular question type wrong, and then improve upon your weaknesses. You can perfect your reading strategy with a lot of practice, but keep in mind that GMAT Reading Comprehension passages are not meant to be stimulating. So, to better prepare yourself to tackle such bland passages, read magazines with similar content and style, such as the New York Times, Scientific American, and Smithsonian.

Sentence Correction is a bit of a different animal compared to Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning. There are three aspects to getting correct answers to GMAT Sentence Correction questions: what you know, such as grammar rules, what you see, such as violations of grammar rules and the logic of sentence structure, and what you do, such as carefully considering each answer choice in the context of the non-underlined portion of the sentence. To drive up your Sentence Correction score, you likely will have to work on all three of those aspects. Furthermore, the likely reason that your Sentence Correction performance has not improved is that you have not been working on all three of those aspects.

Regarding what you know, to be successful in Sentence Correction, first and foremost, you MUST know your grammar rules. Let's be clear, though: GMAT Sentence Correction is not just a test of knowledge of grammar rules. The reason for learning grammar rules is so that you can determine what sentences convey and whether sentences are well-constructed. In fact, in many cases, incorrect answers to Sentence Correction questions are grammatically flawless. Thus, often your task is to use your knowledge of grammar rules to determine which answer choice creates the most logical sentence meaning and structure.

This determination of whether sentences are well-constructed and logical is the second aspect of finding correct answers to Sentence Correction questions, what you see. To develop this skill, you probably have to slow way down. You won't develop this skill by spending less than two minutes per question. For a while, anyway, you have to spend time with each question, maybe even ten or fifteen minutes on one question sometimes, analyzing every answer choice until you see the details that you have to see in order to choose the correct answer. As you go through the answer choices, consider the meaning conveyed by each version of the sentence. Does the meaning make sense? Even if you can tell what the version is SUPPOSED to convey, does the version really convey that meaning? Is there a verb to go with the subject? Do all pronouns clearly refer to nouns? By slowing way down and looking for these details, you learn to see what you have to see in order to clearly understand which answer to a Sentence Correction question is correct.

There is only one correct answer to any Sentence Correction question, there are clear reasons why that choice is correct and the others are not, and none of those reasons are that the correct version simply "sounds right." In fact, the correct version often sounds a little off at first. That correct answers may sound a little off is not surprising. If the correct answers were always the ones that sounded right, then most people most of the time would get Sentence Correction questions correct, without really knowing why the wrong answers were wrong and the correct answers were correct. So, you have to go beyond choosing what "sounds right" and learn to clearly see the logical reasons why one choice is better than all of the others.

As for the third aspect of getting Sentence Correction questions correct, what you do, the main thing you have to do is be very careful. You have to make sure that you are truly considering the structures of sentences and the meanings conveyed rather than allowing yourself to be tricked into choosing trap answers that sound right but don't convey meanings that make sense. You also have to make sure that you put some real energy into finding the correct answers. Finding the correct answer to a Sentence Correction question may take bouncing from choice to choice repeatedly until you start to see the differences between the choices that make all choices wrong except for one. Often, when you first look at the choices, only one or two seem obviously incorrect. Getting the right answers takes a certain work ethic. You have to put in the necessary time to see the differences between answers and to figure out the precise reasons that one choice is correct.

To improve what you do when you answer Sentence Correction questions, seek to become aware of how you are going about answering them. Are you being careful and looking for logic and details, or are you quickly eliminating choices that sound a little off and then choosing the best of the rest? If you choose an incorrect answer, consider what you did to arrive at that answer and what you could do differently to arrive at correct answers more consistently. Furthermore, see how many questions you can get correct in a row as you practice. If you break your streak by missing one, consider what you could do differently to extend your streak.

250 REVIEWS

5-STAR RATED ONLINE GMAT QUANT SELF STUDY COURSE

NOW WITH GMAT VERBAL (BETA)

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

HEC & IMD School Moderator
D
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Please help me understand ESR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2019, 09:13
Hi,
I hope EMPOWERgmatRichC can help you as soon as he gets time. Please send him PM and request.
Experts - Bunuel , GMATNinja , SajjadAhmad
Useful forums All you need for Quant , Quant Megathread
SC , CR , RC , SC Megathread , CR Megathread , RC Megathread
Tutor
V
Re: ESR Analysis - [Post Enhanced Score Report Analysis Requests Here]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2020, 11:31
maber93 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I took the GMAT last week with extremely intense preparation (20+hrs per week) in the 4 weeks before it and consistent preparation since March. Unfortunately COVID-19 delayed my test date a little bit as well, but here we are...
In general I felt very well prepared this time. The official prep exams were all between 710 and 740, which is the range I am generally shooting for (my overall goal is 90+ percentile). I also did a not very wholehearted approach in the beginning of last year, but the preparation was more than insufficient. However, I felt like I knew how the test feels and guessed that the stress problems I had last time would be gone.
Unfortunately I only managed to get a 700 this time, which puts me in the 88th percentile. Therefore I want to do the test again in the not too distant future.
While Quant is generally my stronger side in both GMATs I was under pressure and ended up rushing in the second half to the Q section. Both times I scored a disappointing 44 when I expected at least 48. I am a little lost how I should tackle this problem. On the one hand I know I need to control my stress levels during the exam better. On the other hand there must be gaps in my knowledge that create this stress. It would be great if you could advise me based on my ESR from last week.

Studies:
- Prepared with ExamPal, very good for the basics
- After completing the course I moved over to the official questions from Wiley and got the advanced question pack somewhere down the line
- I did the 6 prep exams on mba.com prior to the exam to get in the right mode: Scored 690,710,730,720,730,740

Goals:
- 90+ Percentile (at least a 720, because I know I can do that)
- Planning to apply later in the summer for the fall intakes next year. Will most likely shoot for European B-Schools. LBS is my favourite

Unfortunately I cannot post with attachments yet, so please let me know when you are interested in my ESR. I am most interested in the skills section in Q, because I want to understand what my weak points could be. Thanks in advance!

-- Max

Hello, Max. It is not uncommon to see a drop of 20 points or so between practice tests and the actual test. Certain test-day factors seem to play a bigger role than many test-takers anticipate. With that said, a 700 is a decent score, but I agree that if I had achieved four practice test scores of 720+, I would want to earn such a score on the real exam. If you have not already, you may want to peruse this e-gmat article on GMAT™ scores and LBS admissions, based on 2018 and 2017 cohorts. One part that stands out to me is that among GMAT Club members who reported scores of 700-740, there was a high percentage who made it to the interview round. If the rest of your application looks to be in good shape, then you could consider applying with the 700.

In any case, it is unfortunate that you mention wanting an analysis in the skills section in Q, since I find the broad approach used by GMAC™ on those very measures to be the least helpful on the ESR. For instance, what does the category Value/Order/Factors mean if you did so-so? Were you great at two of the three, but poor in another, or did you make mistakes across the board that balanced out to the percents you see? Same with Counting/Sets/Series. It is hard to tease out meaningful discussion points when that is as far as GMAC™ goes in providing sub-scores. Even Geometry, which is at least a single subject, can mean any of a number of things. The best you can do on your own or with the help of a professional is to comb through what you had been missing in practice to see how those questions may map onto the data the ESR shows.

You may feel free to attach your ESR in a PM. I would be happy to take a look at it for you. However, you might find my insights into Quant topics less helpful than my analyses of your Average Difficulty and Time Management information. (I also think there are more useful data to glean from the Verbal breakdown.)

- Andrew
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 03:10
HI Experts - ScottTargetTestPrep ccooley MentorTutoring

Can you please help me to analysis the below four graph

Attachment:
File comment: ESR_Review
ESR_Review.jpg
ESR_Review.jpg [ 115.25 KiB | Viewed 590 times ]

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution
Tutor
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 06:04
Hello, NandishSS. Apart from the graph in the bottom-left, I cannot tell exactly which section the graph indicates. However, I will draw attention to whatever I do notice about each graph in hopes that such information may prove beneficial to you.

Top-left: This looks like a record of the overall performance on a section, either Verbal or Quant. It appears as though the test-taker was struggling with Medium-level questions, as indicated by the purple Incorrect line, so the difficulty never got bumped up. You can see from the light blue line that the Correct responses were always at a level below the incorrect responses. At a certain point, however, in the third leg of the section, the test-taker had finally reached a stasis, the point at which the algorithm had found the correct level of question difficulty for that particular test-taker. As would be expected, performance was similar at that level to how it had been before, observable by the symmetrical--V-shaped--performance statistics from the second to third to last points of capture. This was a low-medium-level performance for the test-taker in that section.

Top-right: Every question in the first quarter of the section was answered correctly, which is why the difficulty of the questions steadily increased, but also why the Correct line is the only one visible. The test-taker began to miss some questions in the second part of the section, but not consistently enough for the bar to be lowered substantially. You can see, for instance, that the Correct dot is only slightly below the Incorrect one. After the halfway point, the test-taker started making more mistakes, so the difficulty level dropped more, and even the Correct responses were to questions slightly less difficult, on average, than those that were missed. Again, the performance of the test-taker had been more or less dialed in by the time the third section had been completed. The difficulty of the questions went up slightly as performance increased, but the questions that the test-taker was missing or getting correct were on par with each other, in terms of difficulty. Overall, this was a medium-high performance.

Bottom-left: This appears to be a Verbal graph, although on recent ESRs I have seen, there is no bottom bar indicating numbers that would correspond to the old 41-question section or the newer 36-question section. This was a pretty strong showing from the test-taker, who missed medium-hard questions in the first portion of the test but was consistently answering the Medium questions correctly. Thus, the question difficulty was increasing all the while. In the second portion of the section, the test-taker was exposed to some very difficult questions but could not answer them correctly, so the question difficulty decreased from sections two to three. In the third section, there is a sad story that plays out, with the test-taker getting roughly the same level of questions from the previous section Correct but answering lower-level questions, those at a completely Medium level, incorrectly. Perhaps the mental challenge of those tough questions from section two had taken its toll, or perhaps the test-taker was distracted at this point. Whatever the case may have been, it is a shame, in my view, to see such an inversion in an ESR. It leads to negative thinking, as in, Why couldn't I get those easier questions right in the third part? What would have happened if I had? Should I take the test again? The overall difficulty of the questions dipped somewhat between the third and fourth portions of the section, but at least the inversion disappeared and the test-taker was missing only harder questions on average.

Bottom-right: This is like a hybrid of the top-left and top-right graphs, with an equilibrium being reached around the second portion of the section between questions missed and questions answered correctly (again, in terms of difficulty). Seeing such a convergence is a good thing, really, showing that the questions the test-taker was seeing fell in line with that person's ability in that particular measure. The near flatlining that occurs afterwards among questions missed is what you would expect to see. The third portion of the section appears to have been the hardest (again) for this test-taker. The Correct answers were at a lower level, but pretty much whenever the test-taker had the opportunity to work on harder questions, those answers tended to be Incorrect. Thus, the question difficulty did not really increase thereafter. The bar had already been set, and the convergence at the end more or less shows that once again, the algorithm had found the right spot for the student to perform consistently on questions. This was an average performance in the section, nothing great, but nothing horrible either.

I hope that helps. Details on the ESR are given in the blue Summary box for each section.

- Andrew
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 11:34
Hi NandishSS,

I remember discussing an earlier ESR with you (from August of last year). Have you taken the GMAT again since then? If you have an ESR from a more recent attempt (or attempts), then I'll be happy to analyze them for you - but I would need to see the FULL ESR. If you would prefer to not publicly post that information, then you can feel free to PM me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2020, 21:43
Hi Max,

First off, a 700/Q44 is a fantastic Score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. The Q44 won't "impress" anyone though, so it's understandable that you might want to retest (and you're closer to a 720+ than you probably realize). Since you're interested in at least one highly-competitive School, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement.

There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Before you can include attachments with your posts/PMs, you need to have at least 5 posts in the forums (right now, you have just 1 post). If you would rather not go through those extra steps right now, then you can feel free to email your ESR directly to me (at Rich.C@empowergmat.com) and I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Beyond that data, it would also help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
2) What Schools are you considering besides LBS?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Director
Director
V
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2020, 23:45
shanitin14 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Could you please provide me feedback on my ESR? I want to know what I need to do to improve my verbal score. Also, please comment on my AWA ability.

shanitin14 You haven't attached any ESR...

Upload attachment: Give the File name And attach the file.

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution
Manager
Manager
S
Please help me understand ESR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2019, 14:51
1. What is the difference between identify the inferred idea and identify the stated idea in RC?
2. What type of question come under Analysis/Critique and what type of question come under Construction/Plan category? (CR)
3. What is the difference between Grammer and Communication?

Please help me. This is acting as a significant hurdle in my prep.

bb Can you help me or connect me with someone who can help me with this?
carcass
souvik101990
Attachments

Annotation 2019-11-09 041208.png
Annotation 2019-11-09 041208.png [ 214.18 KiB | Viewed 2143 times ]

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 12:23
vyascd wrote:
1. What is the difference between identify the inferred idea and identify the stated idea in RC?

This refers to 'inference' questions versus 'detail' questions, generally. An inference question will ask for an answer that isn't explicitly stated in the passage: you have to use some logic to combine multiple ideas from the passage together, or to draw a logical conclusion from an idea in the passage. In a detail question, the right answer will pretty much be written explicitly in the passage, although it will probably use different wording.

I personally suspect, but don't know for sure, that general / 'main idea' questions are considered to be 'inferred idea' questions.

Quote:
2. What type of question come under Analysis/Critique and what type of question come under Construction/Plan category? (CR)

This refers mainly to the type of argument, not to the type of question. Some CR arguments are 'plan' arguments. In these, the argument presents you with a plan, and generally you're asked to show that the plan will or won't work, or to identify an assumption being made by the person proposing the plan. In non-plan arguments, nobody's proposing a plan - they're just trying to convince you that something is or isn't true. I'm not sure whether there's also a distinction between question types being made here. It seems more likely that you could get (for example) Strengthen, Weaken, Assumption, etc. questions for either type of argument, so those might fall into either category.

Here's the GMAC's official description of the categories:

"The Critical Reasoning Analysis/Critique graph displays the percentage of questions answered correctly. Problems in this category test your ability to analyze the information given to you in the passage and carefully make reasoned judgments demonstrated by evaluating and breaking down an argument."

"The Critical Reasoning Construction/Plan graph displays the percentage of questions answered correctly. Problems identified in this category test your ability to use the information given in a passage to construct a plan of action for find the best logical solution."

Quote:
3. What is the difference between Grammer and Communication?

Grammar refers to problems that primarily test grammar rules (for instance, the rule that says you have to use a plural verb with a plural subject.)

Communication refers to problems that test meaning or logic issues. For instance, there's no rule that says you can't use the word 'wearing' to modify the subject 'student'. But, this sentence would be wrong on the GMAT anyways, since its meaning is illogical:

The student walked the dog, wearing a collar.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Online tutoring and curriculum

My latest GMAT blog posts | My latest GRE blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 14:07
Hi vyascd,

I'll be happy to review your ESR for you, but I would need to see the FULL ESR. If you would rather not post it publicly, then you can feel free to PM it directly to me. In addition to that data, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2019, 19:41
Hi Vyascd,

I’m happy to help, but it would be very helpful if we could see your full ESR, so we can see the bigger picture of what is going on with your GMAT. If you post your ESR here, I can provide some further advice.

250 REVIEWS

5-STAR RATED ONLINE GMAT QUANT SELF STUDY COURSE

NOW WITH GMAT VERBAL (BETA)

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2020, 15:04
Hello GMATClub,
Below are my analysis for fundamental skills in GMAT ESR:

Critical Reasoning

Analysis/Critique

MBA.com: Problems identified in this category test your ability to analyse the information given to you in the passage and carefully make reasoned judgments demonstrated by evaluating and breaking down an argument.

Question Types: ??

Construction/Plan

MBA.com: Problems identified in this category test your ability to use the information given in a passage to construct a plan of action for find the best logical solution.

Question Types: ??

Reading Comprehension

Identify Inferred Ideas

MBA.com: These problems use statements that include the premise but do not state a conclusion; you are asked to draw a conclusion based on the provided information.

Question Types: Any inference based question for RC.

Identify Stated Ideas
MBA.com: These problems require you to clearly understand the explicitly stated main idea and supporting ideas which in order to answer the question.

Question Types: Any question that asks about the main idea/purpose of the paragraph/the role of paragraph with respect to the whole passage.

Sentence Correction

Grammar
MBA.com: Problems in this category assess your ability to identify the answer that will create a sentence which is grammatically and structurally sound. The resulting sentence will conform to all the rules of standard written English, e.g., noun-verb agreement, pronoun consistency, pronoun case, and verb tense sequence.

Question Types:
Any question that can be primarily solved by applying grammar rules and secondarily by meaning.

Communication

MBA.com: Problems in this category asses your ability to identify the answer that will create an effective sentence which expresses an idea or relationship clearly and concisely, as well as grammatically. The test taker must be able to recognise whether the words are well chosen, accurate, and suitable for the context and does not include superfluous words or needlessly complicated expressions.

Question Types:
Any question that can be primarily solved by applying meaning rules and secondarily by grammar rules. (I assume these tend to be tougher)

My Questions:

1. Can you please categorise the questions types in CR for me? (As per Rich I feel there will be 4 categories but still. Strengthen/Weaken/Assumption/Other types)
2. Can you validate question types I have mentioned in RC and SC section?
3. This question is based on my personal ESR. I have 80% accuracy in meaning based questions and 28% in grammar based question. But aren't these two connected? I mean how do you categorise a question in one of these two buckets?

Tagging experts : MentorTutoring EMPOWERgmatRichC egmat ScottTargetTestPrep

Others who read this post are also welcome to provide their inputs.

Regards
Rajesh!

Why You Don’t Deserve A 700 On Your GMAT

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Tutor
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2020, 11:16
Hello again, Rajesh. I am going to stick strictly to your questions, since you brought up a lot of issues in your post.
TheNightKing wrote:
My Questions:

1. Can you please categorise the questions types in CR for me? (As per Rich I feel there will be 4 categories but still. Strengthen/Weaken/Assumption/Other types)

The OG does so in a neat little table in chapter 8.2, Critical Reasoning, identifying nine question types:
Analyzing reasoning structure (e.g., boldface/dialogue questions)
Drawing conclusions (inference) (e.g., "follows logically from...")
Identifying sufficient or required assumptions
Evaluating hypotheses
Resolving apparent inconsistency
Identifying information that strengthens or weakens reasoning
Recognizing and describing logical flaws (an offshoot of a weaken question, in my mind)
identifying a point of disagreement
Finding a solution to a practical problem (e.g., "Which of the following would most help...").

TheNightKing wrote:
2. Can you validate question types I have mentioned in RC and SC section?

The OG lists the following six question types for Reading Comprehension in chapter 7.1:
Main idea
Supporting idea
Inference
Application (e.g., "is most similar to")
Evaluation (e.g., analysis/critique questions)
Style and tone (i.e. how the author approaches/presents the material)

In Chapter 9.2, the OG identifies eight categories of Sentence Correction questions:
Agreement (e.g., subject-verb)
Diction (e.g., "she" versus "her")
Grammatical Construction
Idiom
Logical Predication (e.g., misplaced modifiers)
Parallelism
Rhetorical Construction (e.g., active versus passive voice, conciseness)
Verb Form (i.e. verb tense).

Now for the real question: Do I carefully separate every single question into categories like these and attempt to pinpoint exactly where I or my students may go wrong? No. I consider each question holistically and look for patterns across missed questions, but as you know, one person might miss, say, an SC question for an entirely different reason from someone else, and in that case, what does logical predication, for instance, really mean to the person who did not fall for a dangling participle? For that matter, what would that same label mean to the person who did fall into such a trap? This is where I think being open and honest with yourself or with whomever you may be working beats out strict Linnaean-style categorization from the OG. That is, if you miss a question because you fell into a which clause trap, perhaps one that led to ambiguity of meaning (as they often do), then note the which clause in your Error Log, or whatever the true reason may have been that you missed the question. Going back over your errors, you will start to see certain topics pop up more frequently than others. Those are the areas you need to target the most. And if you do not understand why you may have missed something, then hey, you have plenty of people in the community who would love to help and offer their views on whatever the matter may be. This is a community that wants to see you succeed.

TheNightKing wrote:
3. This question is based on my personal ESR. I have 80% accuracy in meaning based questions and 28% in grammar based question. But aren't these two connected? I mean how do you categorise a question in one of these two buckets?

Yes, a single question in SC often covers multiple bases, as discussed above. This is why the ESR is of some interest, but it certainly does not tell the whole story. Either way, I would take the data at face value if my accuracy dipped below what I considered to be an acceptable threshold. In your case, it would help to practice more questions and review any grammatical issues that consistently cause you grief. That is the only way you will improve.

Best of luck, and keep at it. You know what Rich would have to say about GMAT assassins.

- Andrew
VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2020, 11:36
MentorTutoring

Thanks Andrew!

Thank you for writing such a detailed Post. I was just trying to fetch the maximum insights possible from the ESR (I believe everyone wants to do that) but what you mentioned makes more sense.
I will take a look at everything again and see what my key takeaways are.

Thanks once again!

Why You Don’t Deserve A 700 On Your GMAT

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2020, 21:07
Bump - this post is a placeholder. Please delete after merge

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Intern
Intern
B
Seek help for ESR analysis and retake recommendation for 730+  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2020, 23:04
Hi,

I took my first GMAT attempt this morning (Feb 1st) and scored 650 (V26 Q50), IR6. I canceled my score immediately as I'm aiming for top business schools, which prefer 730+.

I have been practicing for 2 months now, bought 6 office practice exams from GMAC (score four 620+, two 700 first attempt and all 730+ second attempt). I also did many GMAT prep exams online, probably 20 full tests and scored from 630 the first six to 710+ the last fourteen. I read all 10 Manhattan books, some main threads here and somewhere else talking about techniques for Verbals (SC: aims at meaning, parallel, SV, pronoun, modifier; RC: jot down main points in each paragraph and think like the author, what he would prefer and what he wants to know; CR: sticks to the premises and conclusions). I finished my exam on time this morning, but did rush through a few questions without much confidence.

I'm taking CFA Level II on June 6th, approximately 120 days left, and need 300+hrs preparation (average 3hrs/day after work).

I wonder if I should retake the exam on Feb 17th (President's Day), it might be my last chance in the next 6 months. But I don't know if 2 weeks of preparation are enough to boost my score from 650 to 730+ with current foundation (I also have to work 5 days/week). I felt a bit out of look and not in focus during the exam this morning though. I should have nailed it if I can concentrate more. And if I take such a long break, I might have to restudy and my foundation might weaken then.

Here enclosed my ESR report, please advise and let me know whatever you think and what I should do to improve my score now or later after the CFA exam.
Thanks in advance!! :please

* You must be a member for at least 5 days and have at least 5 posts before you are allowed to post URL's or attachments.
I cannot update the file but I can put in some Verbal report information here:
THE FIRST NUMBER IS MY SCORE AND THE SECOND IS RANKINGS (IN PERCENTILES)
Overall: 28 (51st)
Sub section:
+ CR: 38 (78th)
- Analysis/Critique: 100% (correct answers/performance fundamental)
- Construction/Plan: 75%
+ RC: 25 (41st)
- Identify inferred idea: 40%
- Identify stated idea: 80%
+ SC: 25 (39th)
- Grammar: 60%
- Communication 57%

Overall time: 1:48 (mean time and referred time for the past three years is 1:44)
+ CR: 2:04
+ RC: 2:01
+ SC: 1:28

Percent correct divided into 4 equal time quarters during the exam - Average time per response:
+ Q1: 62%/38% (correct/incorrect) - 1:59
+ Q2: 86%/14% - 1:59
+ Q3: 57%/43% - 1:51
+ Q4: 62%/38% - 1:26

Average difficulty for each answer: Incorrects are a stable (almost straight line) just a bit above Medium difficulty
Corrects line goes from mid low-medium (pretty low in first quarter) to right medium then finally slide down a bit in the last two quarters

YOUR TWO CENTS ARE VERY IMPORTANT AND I TAKE YOUR ADVISE SERIOUSLY. Hope I can make it in time to decide whether to retake the test on President's Day.
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Seek help for ESR analysis and retake recommendation for 730+  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2020, 23:32
Tyle - Thank you for your post. I am merging this post with the existing master ESR thread. Please take a few moments to review some of the insights already provided in the thread.
General GMAT Forum Senior Moderator | D-Day: ‎Tuesday, October 20, 2020‎ | 12:00 PM

New to GMAT Club? Start with the study plan!
Should I retake GMAT? Retaking GMAT Strategies!

What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2020, 15:11
Hi Tyle,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you've studied for just 2 months, then it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort to have scored higher yet.

I'll be happy to review your ESR for you, but I would need to see the FULL ESR. If you would rather not post it publicly, then you can feel free to PM it directly to me (or you can email me at Rich.C@empowergmat.com). In addition to that data, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used besides the books that you listed?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

GMAT Club Bot
Re: ESR Analysis - [Post Enhanced Score Report Analysis Requests Here]   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2020, 15:11

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 40 posts ] 

ESR Analysis - [Post Enhanced Score Report Analysis Requests Here]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep