GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2019, 19:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ESR Analysis and the most effective 4-week study plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
ESR Analysis and the most effective 4-week study plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 09:47
Hopefully any of the experts can help me provide further details on my analysis of the ESR and help me create a study plan!

I've studied for around 11 weeks, of which the last week very intensive. I scored a disappointing 490 Q35 V23. I want to challenge myself a little bit and I'm aiming for a score of at least 580, although I only need a score of 550 to get into the first Dutch University (others in Holland ask for a minimum score of 600). The first 10 weeks I followed a course on the University where I hope to begin my Master Marketing in February. On every Monday evening we did Quant (3h) and on Wednesday evening we did Verbal (3h) during the course. These lessons began after I worked the whole day at the office. Besides that, I went one day per week to the library to study from 10 AM to 5 PM. The last week I took a week off from work and studied everyday (except the last day) from 10 AM to 5 PM.

Verbal:
I'm not a native English speaker since I'm Dutch. I have traveled through Asia for a half year and haven't had a problem there with my English language. During the course there was a lot of attention for Sentence Correction. I did this part pretty well on my practice exams and answered most of the questions correct. However, according to the ESR, I scored really bad on my Sentence Correction. Before I started my real GMAT test, I thought RC was my biggest weakness. I think I score average on the CR questions.

I'd like to aim for a score V27-28.
1) To get a higher Verbal score it is important to increase my speed whilst reading RC passages and make RC questions in general, the problem is that I don't see how to attack these kind of questions as quickly and efficiently as possible.
2) The second area is to improve on are the SC questions. I know the fundamentals of the grammar rules and I know some shortcuts to answer these question 'quickly', but I do not know why I scored so bad on these questions during my real test.
3) (CR) Sometimes I find it difficult to determine if one of the answers is correct or out of scope. Maybe this has something to do with determining the main clause?

Quant:
I've always been pretty good at Quant (strange enough). During the course we practiced a lot of questions, but little GMAT type questions (mostly open questions, no multiple choice). Especially in my last week I tried a lot of Easy and Medium questions from the Official GMAT Guide. Easy was often easy for me, Medium did go okay (6/10). I did not try a lot of Hard questions. Maybe this was one of the problems? I can see in my EDR I scored really good in the first part, then the difficulty level increased, and I failed in the last part (4/4). I still think Arithmetic (Counting/Sets/Series) is my biggest weakness, as you can see in the ESR. What could be the best way for me to improve this? Making more Difficult questions? During my test, I felt confident because I knew I was answering questions on a Medium/High level. Unfortunately, I failed the last part of the questions. I think this had a major negative effect on my Quant score (because I was answering questions incorrect in a row). Maybe I rushed a little in the end, but time management was not the problem.

I'd like to aim for a score Q42. (average of three practice exams was Q33)
1) It is clear that Arithmetic in its entirety is my biggest weakness. Although I think I know the rules, I still make many mistakes. Sometimes these are Easy questions where I make sloppy mistakes. How can I improve this?
2) When analyzing my ESR, there is a little difference between PS questions and DS questions. Are there any suggestions on test-taking strategies for DS questions?

My next attempt is in 4 weeks. Since I have to score 550 before the 10th of January (deadline study registration), I want to try this in the begin of December. If I would fail again, I can try it one more time before this deadline date. Although this sounds like a short time and I work four days a week, I've taken some vacation days and have about 80-90 full hours of studying available before retaking the GMAT.

Hopefully you have some suggestions regarding my study plan after the above stated information and a look at my ESR I attached to the message. I'm really wondering what my most effective 'battle-plan' is so that I can get the most out of my GMAT-score, since I know I have a pretty good score in me.

Thanks in advance!

Remco
Attachments

Remco van Twisk_363689365_ESR (1).pdf [507.86 KiB]
Downloaded 12 times

To download please login or register as a user

Sloan MIT School Moderator
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: ESR Analysis and the most effective 4-week study plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 15:20
RemcoVT wrote:
Hopefully any of the experts can help me provide further details on my analysis of the ESR and help me create a study plan!

I've studied for around 11 weeks, of which the last week very intensive. I scored a disappointing 490 Q35 V23. I want to challenge myself a little bit and I'm aiming for a score of at least 580, although I only need a score of 550 to get into the first Dutch University (others in Holland ask for a minimum score of 600). The first 10 weeks I followed a course on the University where I hope to begin my Master Marketing in February. On every Monday evening we did Quant (3h) and on Wednesday evening we did Verbal (3h) during the course. These lessons began after I worked the whole day at the office. Besides that, I went one day per week to the library to study from 10 AM to 5 PM. The last week I took a week off from work and studied everyday (except the last day) from 10 AM to 5 PM.

Verbal:
I'm not a native English speaker since I'm Dutch. I have traveled through Asia for a half year and haven't had a problem there with my English language. During the course there was a lot of attention for Sentence Correction. I did this part pretty well on my practice exams and answered most of the questions correct. However, according to the ESR, I scored really bad on my Sentence Correction. Before I started my real GMAT test, I thought RC was my biggest weakness. I think I score average on the CR questions.

I'd like to aim for a score V27-28.
1) To get a higher Verbal score it is important to increase my speed whilst reading RC passages and make RC questions in general, the problem is that I don't see how to attack these kind of questions as quickly and efficiently as possible.
2) The second area is to improve on are the SC questions. I know the fundamentals of the grammar rules and I know some shortcuts to answer these question 'quickly', but I do not know why I scored so bad on these questions during my real test.
3) (CR) Sometimes I find it difficult to determine if one of the answers is correct or out of scope. Maybe this has something to do with determining the main clause?

Quant:
I've always been pretty good at Quant (strange enough). During the course we practiced a lot of questions, but little GMAT type questions (mostly open questions, no multiple choice). Especially in my last week I tried a lot of Easy and Medium questions from the Official GMAT Guide. Easy was often easy for me, Medium did go okay (6/10). I did not try a lot of Hard questions. Maybe this was one of the problems? I can see in my EDR I scored really good in the first part, then the difficulty level increased, and I failed in the last part (4/4). I still think Arithmetic (Counting/Sets/Series) is my biggest weakness, as you can see in the ESR. What could be the best way for me to improve this? Making more Difficult questions? During my test, I felt confident because I knew I was answering questions on a Medium/High level. Unfortunately, I failed the last part of the questions. I think this had a major negative effect on my Quant score (because I was answering questions incorrect in a row). Maybe I rushed a little in the end, but time management was not the problem.

I'd like to aim for a score Q42. (average of three practice exams was Q33)
1) It is clear that Arithmetic in its entirety is my biggest weakness. Although I think I know the rules, I still make many mistakes. Sometimes these are Easy questions where I make sloppy mistakes. How can I improve this?
2) When analyzing my ESR, there is a little difference between PS questions and DS questions. Are there any suggestions on test-taking strategies for DS questions?

My next attempt is in 4 weeks. Since I have to score 550 before the 10th of January (deadline study registration), I want to try this in the begin of December. If I would fail again, I can try it one more time before this deadline date. Although this sounds like a short time and I work four days a week, I've taken some vacation days and have about 80-90 full hours of studying available before retaking the GMAT.

Hopefully you have some suggestions regarding my study plan after the above stated information and a look at my ESR I attached to the message. I'm really wondering what my most effective 'battle-plan' is so that I can get the most out of my GMAT-score, since I know I have a pretty good score in me.

Thanks in advance!

Remco

You can analyze the ESR yourself. They have written what you need to work on. However, when I started preparing for the GMAT, I came across various resources. I prefer the official resources only.
Here's a link to the plan that can get you a V40 if it is in fact the level you want to achieve
https://gmatclub.com/forum/beginner-to- ... l#p2313182
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 15:22
Hi Remco,

To start, with a 490, you're closer to a 550+ than you probably realize - and you do NOT have to correctly answer ANY of the really hard/weird questions to hit that Goal. As such, you could potentially retest in a month and hit that Score IF you're focused on learning and practicing the proper Tactics. If you're ultimately going to keep studying until you hit 580+ though, then you would likely need closer to 2 months of consistent, guided study.

Before we discuss the data in your ESR, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Have you used any other study materials besides the course that you took?
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) When is your exact Test Date?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 21:50
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2019, 04:50
EMPOWERgmatRichC

Hi Rich,

I replied by email, thanks!

Remco
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
ESR Analysis and the most effective 4-week study plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2019, 18:26
Hi RemcoVT,

I’m glad that you reached out, and I’m happy to help.

Since you scored 490 on your latest GMAT (90 points off you score goal), it’s likely that you have an array of quant and verbal weak areas that are dragging down your GMAT score. So, to improve to 580, you likely need to follow a study plan that allows you to learn GMAT quant and verbal from the ground up.

If you get too hung on the micro data from your ESR, my fear is that you’ll end up spinning your wheels and not realize the improvement you need. Furthermore, you may need longer than just 4 weeks to improve your GMAT score.

Meanwhile, while doing general quant work involving answering non-multiple choice questions could make sense as part of your preparation, to drive your GMAT score higher, you will likely have to do much more practice involving carefully answering many GMAT style questions of all levels than you have done so far. You have to better learn how to handle the challenges specific to GMAT quant questions and arrive at correct answers.

Certainly, if you’d like some further, general advice on how to improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills, feel free to each out.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
ESR Analysis and the most effective 4-week study plan   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2019, 18:26

ESR Analysis and the most effective 4-week study plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep