GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 09:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ESR Analysis Needed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT ToolKit User
ESR Analysis Needed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Oct 2019, 03:03
HI Experts,

I wrote my GMAT yesterday and scored a disappointing 680. Although, i must confess, with a full time job, i had studied seriously for around one month and was just hoping that i cross the 700 barrier.

Studies:
1)1 month of serious 3 hr per day.
2) Half of OG 2020 questions and Experts Global crash course. Manhattan strategy guides for quants.
3) My Mock test results :
GMAT Prep 1 : May something 2019. 530 (After this shocker did not study at all)
Experts Global first test : Sep 12th - 630 ( Q47 and V30)
Experts Global second test : Sep 21st - 660 ( Q45 and V36)
Experts Global third test: Oct 5th - 680 ( Q48 and V36)
GMAT Prep 2 : Oct 12th - 720 (Q49 and V38)

Goals:
4) My goal is to cross 720 .. anything higher would be a cherry on the cake.
5) I am planning to apply this year and i know i am already late.
6) All Indian IIMs and dont know much about other schools.

During my exam, Quants was going very well,better than i expected, but i messed up dont know where. Verbal - I was pressed for time seriously and was thinking that i had tanked the paper badly.

As I am pressed for time, i will be applying with this score to colleges this year and in the meanwhile, the period when i am hoping that i get an interview call and the actual interview, i may appear for GMAT again.

Please advice the steps that i need to take to better my score the next time around.

GMATNinja ScottTargetTestPrep GyanOne bb EMPOWERgmatRichC

Thanks in advance !

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by sachin1114GMCKS on 20 Oct 2019, 10:51.
Last edited by sachin1114GMCKS on 21 Oct 2019, 03:03, edited 2 times in total.
HEC & IMD School Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: ESR Analysis Needed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2019, 21:31
I hope EMPOWERgmatRichC can help you :)
Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 13:19
Hi sachin1114GMCKS,

First off, a 680 is a strong Score, and depending on your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores, it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores; your improvement over the last 1+ month of your studies shows that you have the capacity to learn and improve, so you could potentially score notably higher if you continue to study. Since you know some of the Schools that you want to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

While the Enhanced Score Report doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you (you can feel free to PM it directly to me if you like).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 17:42
Hi sachin1114GMACKS,

680 is not a bad start. To improve your GMAT score to a higher level, you need to go through GMAT quant and verbal carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills. The overall process will be to learn all about how to answer question types with which you currently aren't very comfortable, and do dozens of practice questions category by category, basically driving up your score point by point. For example, if you find that you are not strong in answering Number Properties questions, then carefully review the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions and practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see, types that you would rather not see, and types that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

You can work on verbal in a similar manner. Let’s say you are reviewing Critical Reasoning. Be sure that you practice a large number of Critical Reasoning questions: Strengthen and Weaken the Argument, Resolve the Paradox, find the Conclusion, Must be True, etc. As you go through the questions, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get correct. If you missed a Weaken question, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize what the question was asking? Did you skip over a key detail in an answer choice? Getting GMAT verbal questions right is a matter of what you know, what you see, and what you do. So, any time that you don't get one right, you can seek to identify what you had to know to get the right answer, what you had to see that you didn't see, and what you could have done differently to arrive at the correct answer.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant and verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses. You also may find it helpful to read the following article about The Phases of Preparing for the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions. Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

e-GMAT Representative
P
ESR Analysis Needed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 13:35
Did you purchase your ESR @sachin1114GMACKS?

Regards,

Payal
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 22:03
egmat wrote:
Did you purchase your ESR @sachin1114GMACKS?

Regards,

Payal

I Did here it is..
Attachments

File comment: Sachin Verma ESR
Sachin Verma_360033126_ESR.pdf [487.03 KiB]
Downloaded 24 times

To download please login or register as a user

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2019, 13:33
Hi Sachin,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2019, 17:21
sachin1114GMCKS - you need to improve in 4-5 areas to score 750. Take a look at this analysis below. Also look at Jim's story. It is very similar to your's.

Jim's story: https://gmatclub.com/forum/trust-the-pr ... 07942.html

Key to success - Follow the meaning-based approach + do a strategic review

Take a look at our strategic review portal to learn how to understand the cause of a mistake. While this is just for SC, you can extend this approach to CR, Number Properties, and Algebra.

SC Strategic Review: https://e-gmat.wistia.com/projects/rppc2dtlfm

Attend CR Prethinking Webinar
https://e-gmat.com/master-pre-thinking/
We have a CR prethinking Webinar tomorrow. You can register for the same by clicking on the link here: https://e-gmat.com/master-pre-thinking/
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2019, 11:50
egmat wrote:
sachin1114GMCKS - you need to improve in 4-5 areas to score 750. Take a look at this analysis below. Also look at Jim's story. It is very similar to your's.

Jim's story: https://gmatclub.com/forum/trust-the-pr ... 07942.html

Key to success - Follow the meaning-based approach + do a strategic review

Take a look at our strategic review portal to learn how to understand the cause of a mistake. While this is just for SC, you can extend this approach to CR, Number Properties, and Algebra.

SC Strategic Review: https://e-gmat.wistia.com/projects/rppc2dtlfm

Attend CR Prethinking Webinar
https://e-gmat.com/master-pre-thinking/
We have a CR prethinking Webinar tomorrow. You can register for the same by clicking on the link here: https://e-gmat.com/master-pre-thinking/

Thanks a lot Rajat and Payal for this analysis. I am sure this will help me in improving my score if i take the GMAT again :)

Regards!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: ESR Analysis Needed   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2019, 11:50

ESR Analysis Needed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k