It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:29

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

European green crabs are an invasive species which have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Statistics, Technology
Re: #Top150 CR: European green crabs are an invasive species which have [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 15:21
souvik101990 wrote:
European green crabs are an invasive species which have recently colonized the Northwest coast of North America, among other places. They disrupt ecosystems and prey heavily on native shellfish. However, in Europe, the population of green crabs is kept relatively low by a parasitic barnacle called Sacculina carcini. This barnacle is hardy and could likely be introduced to areas where the European green crab threatens to ruin established ecosystems.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument that it would NOT be advisable to attempt to eliminate European green crabs from the Northwest coast of North America by introducing to the area the parasitic barnacle discussed above?

A. In their native habitat, the parasites often threaten the elimination of local green crab populations.

B. European green crabs are also occasionally preyed upon by fishes, gulls and other species of crab in their native ecosystems.

C. Though the parasite may survive in North American waters, no large-scale facility for breeding and harvesting the parasites exists as of yet.

D. Many other invasive species on the Northwest coast of North America are not suitable hosts for this parasite.

E. Though the barnacle cannot reproduce inside of native shore crabs, it can still infect and kill native shore crabs.

I'll go with E here:-

A. In their native habitat, the parasites often threaten the elimination of local green crab populations.
That is the whole purpose of introducing the parasites.

B. European green crabs are also occasionally preyed upon by fishes, gulls and other species of crab in their native ecosystems.
They are preyed upon, but in their native ecosystem i.e. in European waters. We have no idea if the same applies in American waters.

C. Though the parasite may survive in North American waters, no large-scale facility for breeding and harvesting the parasites exists as of yet.
Would not matter if the parasite affected only the European green crabs.

D. Many other invasive species on the Northwest coast of North America are not suitable hosts for this parasite.
There is no mention of other invasive species. We are only concerned with the European crabs.

E. Though the barnacle cannot reproduce inside of native shore crabs, it can still infect and kill native shore crabs
This seems valid as even the indigenous crabs of North America would be killed by this parasite.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 4

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 906 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 CR: European green crabs are an invasive species which have [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 23:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
European green crabs are an invasive species which have recently colonized the Northwest coast of North America.
They disrupt ecosystems and prey heavily on native shellfish.
However, in Europe, the population of green crabs is kept relatively low by a parasitic barnacle called Sacculina carcini.
This barnacle could likely be introduced to areas where the European green crab threatens to ruin established ecosystems.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument that it would NOT be advisable to attempt to eliminate European green crabs from the Northwest coast of North America by introducing to the area the parasitic barnacle discussed above?

(They keep crab population low in their native habitat but not eliminate them. Also native scenario does not affect the proposal in NA.)

(This is only occasional and even this is the info regarding their native ecosystems not NA. OFS)

(we are not bothered about the survivial of parasite in NA waters. OFS)

(we have info regarding any other invasive species other than European green crabs as of now. OFS)

E. Though the barnacle cannot reproduce inside of native shore crabs, it can still infect and kill native shore crabs.
(instead of green crabs we may lose shore crabs because of introducing these parasites. This indicates that the proposal may not be advisable.)

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 906 [0], given: 75

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: European green crabs are an invasive species which have [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 06:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member
Re: European green crabs are an invasive species which have recently colon [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 11:50
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 05:05
I chose E what is the OA? Please advise with explanation.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: European green crabs are an invasive species which have recently colon [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 07:15
gmatbull wrote:
(Am not convinced by the OE given for the problem below.)

European green crabs are an invasive species which have recently colonized the Northwest coast of
North America, among other places. They disrupt ecosystems and prey heavily on native shellfish.
However, in Europe, the population of green crabs is kept relatively low by a parasitic barnacle
called Sacculina carcini. This barnacle is hardy and could likely be introduced to areas where the
European green crab threatens to ruin established ecosystems.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument that it would NOT be advisable
to attempt to eliminate European green crabs from the Northwest coast of North America by introducing
to the area the parasitic barnacle discussed above?

A: In their native habitat, the parasites often threaten the elimination of local green crab populations.

B: European green crabs are also occasionally preyed upon by fishes, gulls and other species of crab in
their native ecosystems.

C: Though the parasite may survive in North American waters, no large-scale facility for breeding and
harvesting the parasites exists as of yet.

D: Many other invasive species on the Northwest coast of North America are not suitable hosts for this parasite.

E: Though the barnacle cannot reproduce inside of native shore crabs, it can still infect and kill native
shore crabs.

Barnacle must be introduced not to destroy the local ecosystem. However, option E states that it can kill native native shore crabs, hence disturbing local ecosystem.

E makes us to believe that idea of introducing barnacle is not justifiable.

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 69

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1146 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 08:38
nilboy wrote:
I chose E what is the OA? Please advise with explanation.

(E) is the correct answer ( Updated the OA ) , check discussion on this topic here from some of the experts -

am-not-convinced-by-the-oe-given-for-the-problem-below-106189.html

Hope that Helps...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1146 [0], given: 327

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 197

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 12:35
E is the answer that would justify "it is not advisable to introduce barnacles" because it states that such introduction would affect the existing eco system!

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 197

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 450 [0], given: 207

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 07:46
prashantbacchewar wrote:
European green crabs are an invasive species which have recently colonized the Northwest coast of North America, among other places. They disrupt ecosystems and prey heavily on native shellfish. However, in Europe, the population of green crabs is kept relatively low by a parasitic barnacle called Sacculina carcini. This barnacle is hardy and could likely be introduced to areas where the European green crab threatens to ruin established ecosystems.

(C) 2008 GMAT Club - s92#24

A) In their native habitat, the parasites often threaten the elimination of local green crab populations.
B) European green crabs are also occasionally preyed upon by fishes, gulls and other species of crab in their native ecosystems.
C) Though the parasite may survive in North American waters, no large-scale facility for breeding and harvesting the parasites exists as of yet.
D) Many other invasive species on the Northwest coast of North America are not suitable hosts for this parasite.
E) Though the barnacle cannot reproduce inside of native shore crabs, it can still infect and kill native shore crabs.

Can somebody pls explain?

looks like a negative weakener = strengthener....
which one weakens the plan?

A - irrelevant
B - occasionally - not big enough
C - irrelevant. how to implement is not an issue here.
D - this one seems to support the plan
E - barnacle will damage even more the ecosystem.

E seems to be the best option

Kudos [?]: 450 [0], given: 207

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 26

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 4: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 5: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 2.84
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 09:59
Clearly E.

The ecosystem will be disturbed as the parasite will attack the green crab as well as native crab species.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 26

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 08:45
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1391

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 14:41
Mahmud6, broall
what is the source of this question? Thank you.

To test takers,
A: In their native habitat, the parasites often threaten the elimination of local green crab populations. -> out of scope
B: European green crabs are also occasionally preyed upon by fishes, gulls and other species of crab in their native ecosystems. -> out of scope
C: Though the parasite may survive in North American waters, no large-scale facility for breeding and harvesting the parasites exists as of yet.
D: Many other invasive species on the Northwest coast of North America are not suitable hosts for this parasite. -> weaken
E: Though the barnacle cannot reproduce inside of native shore crabs, it can still infect and kill native shore crabs.

CR Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 198

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 02:12
chesstitans wrote:
Mahmud6, broall

To test takers,
A: In their native habitat, the parasites often threaten the elimination of local green crab populations. -> out of scope
B: European green crabs are also occasionally preyed upon by fishes, gulls and other species of crab in their native ecosystems. -> out of scope
C: Though the parasite may survive in North American waters, no large-scale facility for breeding and harvesting the parasites exists as of yet.
D: Many other invasive species on the Northwest coast of North America are not suitable hosts for this parasite. -> weaken
E: Though the barnacle cannot reproduce inside of native shore crabs, it can still infect and kill native shore crabs.

Thank you for query.

It seems the poster of this question is no longer active in the forum.

However, if we come across the original source of this question, we will update it in tag-line. :-)

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 198

VP
VP
S

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 16:58
Mahmud6 wrote:
chesstitans wrote:
Mahmud6, broall

To test takers,

Thank you for query.

It seems the poster of this question is no longer active in the forum.

However, if we come across the original source of this question, we will update it in tag-line. :-)

I am happy to hear a respond from you. I believe this question comes from Knewton, an unreliable source. (beatgmat and a chinese website says so)

Re: European green crabs are an invasive species which have   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2017, 16:58

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

European green crabs are an invasive species which have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap