Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Eval please! Can't get past low gpa in my mind [#permalink]
May I ask why not Duke, Darden, and NYU then?
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi - Thanks for your post.

I'm was sorry to read about your Dad's problems - it was really nice of you to help him out, but in terms of the MBA it was a little bit to your own detriment (grades suffering). You can attempt to offset with as high a GMAT as possible. I agree that taking additional courses now, given that you've already done stats etc would not be worthwhile.

There are lots of factors that come together to make a candidate attractive to an Adcom. Schools like MIT and Darden don't like to lower their average GPA/GMAT generally - so the GPA could be a dealbreaker unless you had some sort of extraordinarily compelling WE or Volunteer work or life story etc. Most of your narrative was about your GPA. You've got two separate incidents in which your grades suffered - when you were 18 and then when you transferred back to UMass for the second time. I wonder if it is even worth including your first experience in your story since UMass did not include it in your GPA...is it in your transcripts?

In terms of WE you said:
I have 3+ years of work experience at the same job out of college (small software company in Boston), but will be about 4.5 the time the Fall 2015 enrollment comes around. I have been promoted from Technical Engineer to Senior Technical Engineer, then to Implementation Team Lead and lastly to Manager of both Technical Support and Implementation.
Working for a smaller company vs' a traditional feeder company is always a little more difficult for the Adcom to assess. You've had some great promotions - how much responsibility to you have, how many people are you managing - what type of impact have you had in your current role (compared to other people in a similar role)?

What about extracurricular/volunteer work?
What are your post-MBA career goals? This is actually an important point because at whatever school you apply to, adcom and career services will want to know if they can place you. You would be 32-ish when you graduate - were you thinking about returning to the same industry in a different role?

BU is reasonable - you might need to look outside Boston for some other programs that interest you as well.

Best,
Leah Derus
fxmbaconsulting . com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@Psyched

I have discussed this with SO and we agreed to put all our chances in my corner for an MBA (she was considering law school in Boston, but instead passed and agreed to possibly relocate with me).

After attending a few MBA fairs and speaking with reps, my list is currently BU and BC for local, more favorable schools and then Tepper (top choice), Fuqua, UNC, and Darden.

@fxmbaconsulting

In my current role, I manage 7 people. Nobody in my company has managed the two departments successfully (I am the first one to not have my role split into two positions). I have developed better internal processes and reporting on monthly revenue churn averages to spot the origins of the churn and how to reduce these numbers. After 6 months of the new approach, our company saw a 70% decrease in monthly churn averages. We are now 1+ year into the new system with consistent performance. I have also brought renewal rates to all time highs along with our customer satisfaction metrics. I have other solid results, but these are some of the stronger instances. I am currently working with Engineering teams to monitor the release of our new product line that will disrupt our industry. If all goes well, I will be adding the role of Release Manager to my duties by the end of this year.

I am planning to focus (where I can) on the Strategy and Operations side during my MBA education, possibly incorporating a Business Analytics track at schools where this is offered (Tepper offers this). I would like to stay in Technology, but move towards Operations and monitoring departments dealing with revenue generating streams rather than revenue retention streams. I am also open to other industries, but within that same realm of work.
GMAT Club Bot