It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 02:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 19:53
First, a brief thank you note to Stratus Prep for being the most responsive member of the "profile evaluation" community here. I only wanted to post once--unsure if cross-posting is allowed here--so I wanted to choose the most responsive expert.

Work Experience:
I own and operate two businesses--one local and one web-based. The first, and the one that provides most of my income, is a local business providing private event DJs for weddings and private events and audio/visual solutions for weddings, conferences, rallies, panel discussions, etc. I've grown the business from just myself, $1000 worth of equipment and $30,000 of annual revenue to 5 part time employees, $200,000+ worth of equipment and over $300,000 in annual revenue in just 5 years. I also operate a blog about frequent flier miles and points monetized by affiliate marketing and individual consulting services. In the past 24 months, I've taken more than 10 intercontinental trips--all in first or business class--using points or miles, and advise others on how to do the same.

GRE (Yes, I also see the irony of choosing to take the GRE and posting on GMATclub): I'll be taking it next week and anticipate scoring somewhere in the 85-95 percentile. I've always been a good test taker (1480 SAT) and while practice test scoring is an inexact science, I believe I'm in the ~90th percentile neighborhood.

Undergrad
My undergraduate track record is spotty/unusual. I attended College of Charleston for 4 years ultimately suspended for poor academic performance. After starting my business and using that as a catalyst for success elsewhere in life, I attended some community college classes to get my GPA up and will graduate from University of Virginia this Spring with a ~3.25 GPA and business concentration.

Other
Obviously my focus will be on a maturation process and turnaround inspired by my successful business coupled with my demonstrated ability as a business owner and manager. My primary reasons for wanting to attend b school:
1) To refine management skills and understand the other side of the experience/learning approach to management.
2) To build a network of other like-minded people and potentially business partners in entrepreneurship.
3) Transition -- the event business is not one that offers "family-friendly" hours--often working all weekend--so I'd like to open some more doors in the corporate world if I decide to go that way.

Also, my capstone project at UVA is a comparison between the business climates in Shanghai and Hong Kong for SMEs. It's an ~80 page project and I'll be sending a copy to the admissions committees to hopefully demonstrate aptitude and interest for business.

I also believe I'm a very personable individual and will be a unique interview. One of my best skills is as a "people person"--indeed it's often one of the most important ingredients for local businesses--so it's another asset I'd like to highlight in that I deal with 20-30 "end-user type" customers per week which is an experience many coming from a consulting, banking, etc background will not have.

My absolute first choice school is UVA/Darden. I love their teaching style and I know it's the place where I can be most successful. I'm also likely applying to UCLA, Texas, UNC, Duke and Southern California.

How do you like my chances and approach?

ETA: I am a 28 year old male (would be 29 by fall enrollment)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2015, 11:53
Hi DCDJ,

Thanks for reaching out, and for your recognition.

If you have seen some of our other posts, you know that I do not like to give general advice on a specific case in a public forum. I would be happy to connect personally, and continue our conversation from there.

Warm regards,
Shawn and the Stratus Prep Team

Stratus Prep
info@stratusprep.com
(212) 307-1788
http://www.stratusprep.com

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Evaluation Request   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2015, 11:53

Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap