Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [50]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [25]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [5]
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two dec [#permalink]
Bookmarks
trainspotting wrote:
Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two decades, stringent
rationing and planned distribution have allowed the People’s Republic of China to
ensure nutritional levels of 2,000 calories per person per day for its population.

(A) Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during
(B) Even though its per capita food supply has hardly increased in
(C) Despite its per capita food supply hardly increasing over
(D) Despite there being hardly any increase in its per capita food supply during
(E) Although there is hardly any increase in per capita food supply for

B - present perfect is best. "in two decades" is correct.
I think, "during two decades" is suspect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two dec [#permalink]
I still believe B is incorrect..... a modifier should be followed by a noun, and its not happening here...
Although I believe shruti's justification, "for being incorrect" is also correct.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
trainspotting wrote:
Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two decades, stringent
rationing and planned distribution have allowed the People’s Republic of China to
ensure nutritional levels of 2,000 calories per person per day for its population.

(D) Despite there being hardly any increase in its per capita food supply during

A- it uses simple past tense which is wrong. the principal clause uses present perfect.
C - hardly increasing is wrong
D-being hardly any increase is wrong
E- hardly any increase and hardly increased are different. Here it means there is no increase. and for two decades is also wrong.

B uses present perfect tense and in two decades is also right.

B is correct
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 584 [2]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
I chose B.

I think that 'its' correctly refers to China as there are no other nouns 'its' can possibly represent.

'Per capita food supply' is a statistic we use for countries, and there are no other countries present in the passage besides China.

Of course the passage would've been clearer if China was placed after comma, but I think B is still correct this way.

I used to automatically cross out the answer choices with ambiguous pronouns, but it's not always about the placement of the subject and the pronoun. As long as the pronoun clearly refers to a certain noun without confusion, it's usually correct
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
(A) Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during: wrong; the shift of tense from present perfect to past tense in the introductory sub-clause renders the sentence un //.
(B) Even though its per capita food supply has hardly increased in: Present perfect is ideal here as the sentence means to convey an element of currency in its meaning, as also the present perfect ideally parallels the have allowed in the un-underlined part. Correct
(C) Despite its per capita food supply hardly increasing over: C suffers from misplaced modification. Please note hardly increasing is not a verb but a present participle and the first portion as such is prepositional modifier phrase, unlike in the A and B, which have sub-clauses.
(D) Despite there being hardly any increase in its per capita food supply during: same misplaced modification as in C
(E) Although there is hardly any increase in per capita food supply for; It is unclear about whose per capita food supply is this choice talking about, as the sub clause, is missing the pronoun its. Wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
B is the best answer.
OE - In choice A, the simple past tense hardly increased does not match the present perfect have allowed; consequently, it seems that two different time periods are being discussed. In B, the best choice, has hardly increased parallels have allowed to indicate that the events described took place at the same time. Also in is the best word here for making a comparison between the beginning and the end of the twenty-year period. Choices C and D are awkward and unidiomatic, and choice E fails to specify where there was no increase in per capita food supply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
A – ‘during’ makes this option wrong. If ‘during’ is used, a specific two decades would have to be mentioned.
B – correct in every way
C – The tense changes (present participle)
D – Same issue as A
E – This phrase is just nonsense. An increase over two decades cannot happen in the present.

B is the only correct option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Why is the use of “during” incorrect in the first option ?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

The answer here is absolutely B, not E. Seems like there was enough confusion about this one to merit a good long look. So let's do it!

283. Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two decades, stringent rationing and planned distribution have allowed the People’s Republic of China to ensure nutritional levels of 2,000 calories per person per day for its population.

There are a number of issues here, which are worth noting before we start. There are preposition issues ("during" versus "in" versus "over"), which generally signals an idiom issue (in this case with increase, and a specified time constraint).

There are also verb tense changes (increased is past, has increased is present perfect, etc.). We solve these by looking elsewhere in the sentence for context. We have the verb "have allowed", which is present perfect. I can't think of any good reason to CHANGE tenses elsewhere in the sentence, and if you can't come up with a reason to change tenses, don't.

PROBLEM: Using the preposition "during" is incorrect. We'd have to specify a particular two decades. Also, we shouldn't use the past tense here if we can help it.

CORRECT: Correct tense, and correct idiom "hardly increased in ten years".

PROBLEM: Again we have a tense change (the present participle form). Also, the "over" is unclear. Do we mean "over the course of ten years" or "over ten years"?

PROBLEM: "Being" always sucks, plus it's not the best tense. Also, we have the same "during" issue as in A.

PROBLEM: The present tense verb "is" is wrong, both because it doesn't match the present perfect verb later, and because it turns this intro phrase into gibberish. There can't presently be hardly any increase for ten years. If you want to express something that started ten years ago and continues into the present, the correct tense choice is present perfect.

Hope that helps!

-t

But aren't A,B,C,D modifying 'stringent rationing and planned distribution'
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two decades, stringent rationing and planned distribution have allowed the People’s Republic of China to ensure nutritional levels of 2,000 calories per person per day for its population.

(A) Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during -> In non underlined part, "....have allowed" needs parallelism, "simple past- increased" doesn't satisfy it. Incorrect.

(B) Even though its per capita food supply has hardly increased in -> It is better than A. Let's keep it.

(C) Despite its per capita food supply hardly increasing over -> Participle "increasing" is incorrect.

(D) Despite there being hardly any increase in its per capita food supply during -> "being hardly any increase" is incorrect.

(E) Although there is hardly any increase in per capita food supply for -> "Is" denotes Present tense, doesn't makes sense, when we have non-underlined part is in Present perfect tense. Incorrect.

So, I think B. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
daagh wrote:
(A) Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during: wrong; the shift of tense from present perfect to past tense in the introductory sub-clause renders the sentence un //.
(B) Even though its per capita food supply has hardly increased in: Present perfect is ideal here as the sentence means to convey an element of currency in its meaning, as also the present perfect ideally parallels the have allowed in the un-underlined part. Correct
(C) Despite its per capita food supply hardly increasing over: C suffers from misplaced modification. Please note hardly increasing is not a verb but a present participle and the first portion as such is prepositional modifier phrase, unlike in the A and B, which have sub-clauses.
(D) Despite there being hardly any increase in its per capita food supply during: same misplaced modification as in C
(E) Although there is hardly any increase in per capita food supply for; It is unclear about whose per capita food supply is this choice talking about, as the sub clause, is missing the pronoun its. Wrong

Hello,

I rejected the choices that have its in the underlying portion because of my understanding that its should be followed by the noun entity. Could you please clarify my pronoun doubt? Would be of great help. Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
ParamjitDasGMAT

What is wrong with the usage of "during".

Is the "Increased in" the correct idiomatic usage?
Do we prefer though, Although, and even though over despite?

Please elaborate.

Thanks
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
ParamjitDasGMAT

What is wrong with the usage of "during".

Is the "Increased in" the correct idiomatic usage?
Do we prefer though, Although, and even though over despite?

Please elaborate.

Thanks

Hello krndatta,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your queries, when "during" is used to refer to a span of time, the noun that refers to that span must be followed by a prepositional phrase; since "in" is, itself, a preposition, such a phrase is not needed when "in" is used to refer to a span of time.

Further, "even though", "although", "despite", and "in spite" all function similarly, and no one is preferred over the others; in this case, the use of "despite" merely leads to less direct construction.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5

I didn't understand the first part.

Can you elaborate again please.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Schools: Carroll
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
Send PM
I like B better.

Option B alone seems to correctly uses the present perfect tense.

Thanks
Jenny
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts