GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 00:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Even though the law mandates that all passengers in a vehicle wear a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
Even though the law mandates that all passengers in a vehicle wear a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 23:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (01:00) correct 64% (01:02) wrong based on 144 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Even though the law mandates that all passengers in a vehicle wear a seat belt, still approximately 20% of the population refrains from doing so.

A. Even though the law mandates that all passengers in a vehicle wear a seat belt, still approximately

B. Even though the law mandates that every passenger in a vehicle wears a seat belt, approximately

C. The law mandates that all passengers in a vehicle wear a seat belt, still approximately

D. The law mandates that all passengers in a vehicle will wear a seat belt, yet around

E. Even though the law mandates that every passenger in a vehicle is wearing a seat belt, approximately
Manager
Manager
S
Re: Even though the law mandates that all passengers in a vehicle wear a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 23:21
Hi expert,

It's right that we need to use subjunctive mood, but why A is wrong?

Should we not use "Even though". I got stumped there.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Even though the law mandates that all passengers in a vehicle wear a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Jul 2018, 23:49
None of the choices seem correct. C can't be the correct answer as 2 independent clauses are joined without FANBOYS.

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Originally posted by sdlife on 19 Jul 2018, 23:22.
Last edited by sdlife on 19 Jul 2018, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Jul 2018, 23:31
A. Even though the law mandates that all passengers in a vehicle wear a seat belt, still approximately

"Still" is repetitive INCORRECT
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

B. Even though the law mandates that every passenger in a vehicle wears a seat belt, approximately

Subjunctive mood and wears doesn't match. INCORRECT.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

C. The law mandates that all passengers in a vehicle wear a seat belt, still approximately

Correct form of verb for subjunctive mood. CORRECT

D. The law mandates that all passengers in a vehicle will wear a seat belt, yet around

wrong verb tense "will wear a seat belt" INCORRECT

E. Even though the law mandates that every passenger in a vehicle is wearing a seat belt, approximately

wrong verb tense. INCORRECT

Hence option C

If you like my post press kudos +1

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Originally posted by workout on 19 Jul 2018, 23:27.
Last edited by workout on 19 Jul 2018, 23:31, edited 2 times in total.
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Even though the law mandates that all passengers in a vehicle wear a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 23:28
anuj04 wrote:
Hi expert,

It's right that we need to use subjunctive mood, but why A is wrong?

Should we not use "Even though". I got stumped there.

Using "Even though" and "still" seems to be repetitive.

If you like my post press kudos +1

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 23:34
sdlife wrote:
The OA is wrong here. C can't be the correct answer as 2 independent clauses are joined without FANBOYS.

Hi,

The clause starting from "still" is not an independent clause. It's a dependent clause. You cannot have complete thought with "still approximately 20% of the population refrains from doing so".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 23:40
anuj04 wrote:
Even though the law mandates that all passengers in a vehicle wear a seat belt, still approximately 20% of the population refrains from doing so.

It's C.

A - Incorrect. One sentence can't have two contrasts. They cancel each other and change the intended meaning.

B - Subject - Verb agreement error.

C - Correct. Removes the redundancy of contrast.

D - Incorrect. Mandate and will should not come together

E - Incorrect. Changes the tense.

Posted from my mobile device

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 23:41
anuj04 wrote:
sdlife wrote:
The OA is wrong here. C can't be the correct answer as 2 independent clauses are joined without FANBOYS.

Hi,

The clause starting from "still" is not an independent clause. It's a dependent clause. You cannot have complete thought with "still approximately 20% of the population refrains from doing so".

I disagree. A dependent clause is one that has a subordinate conjunction, a subject, a verb and do not have a complete thought. A DC cannot stand on its own. While an independent clause only has a subject and a verb. Phrases lack subject and verb, and therefore also do not have a complete thought.

"still approximately 20% of the population refrains from doing so" -- is an independent clause because there is no subordinate conjunction such as although, because, even though, etc.. It does have a complete thought, a subject (20% of the pop) and a verb (refrains).

C could be correct if the comma before 'still' is replaced by a semicolon. That way the 2 independent clauses can be joined.

The above is my understanding. The best advice that I received a while back is - stay away from non-official verbal questions.

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 18:55
sdlife wrote:
anuj04 wrote:
sdlife wrote:

Hi,

I disagree. A dependent clause is one that has a subordinate conjunction, a subject, a verb and do not have a complete thought. A DC cannot stand on its own. While an independent clause only has a subject and a verb. Phrases lack subject and verb, and therefore also do not have a complete thought.

"still approximately 20% of the population refrains from doing so" -- is an independent clause because there is no subordinate conjunction such as although, because, even though, etc.. It does have a complete thought, a subject (20% of the pop) and a verb (refrains).

C could be correct if the comma before 'still' is replaced by a semicolon. That way the 2 independent clauses can be joined.

The above is my understanding. The best advice that I received a while back is - stay away from non-official verbal questions.

You may disagree, but clause starting from “still” is indeed not an independent clause.. it’s not a complete thought.
GMAT Club Bot
Even though the law mandates that all passengers in a vehicle wear a &nbs [#permalink] 21 Jul 2018, 18:55

Even though the law mandates that all passengers in a vehicle wear a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap