It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 17:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Posts: 595
Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2005, 02:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

70% (00:53) correct 30% (00:48) wrong based on 190 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars planning a reservoir along the Ubi River, the project will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted.

(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted

(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution which the river received

(C) had to be abandoned because the river had received such heavy pollution

(D) has to be abandoned because of the river and its heavy pollution

(E) must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Regards, S


Last edited by hazelnut on 02 Jan 2018, 21:30, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2005
Posts: 485
Location: Milan Italy
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2005, 03:49
(E) for me.

in A "as a result of the river" is not correct should be "as a result of the pollution"
in B I think "the river received" is wrong tense, and there should be "that" instead of "which"
in C "had" is wrong (it could have been correct if the first clause had been "the state spent")
in D because of "the river", dont think the river can be cause of anything.

In E "has become" means that it was polluted and it is still polluted, so In my opinion is right.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1477
Location: Germany
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2005, 03:50
E)...

(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted => wrong tense
(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution which the river received => how can a river recieve heavy pollution ?
(C) had to be abandoned because the river had received such heavy pollution => same as above and wrong tense; the denial of the project happens now, so a present tense is required
(D) has to be abandoned because of the river and its heavy pollution => the project must be abandoned not because of the river AND the pollution of the river, but ONLY because of the pollution of the river
(E) must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted => right
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1477
Location: Germany
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2005, 04:26
Folaa3 wrote:
What is wrong with A?


i think "will have to be abandoned" is technically wrong. the right usage of simple future would be "will be abandoned".
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2005
Posts: 485
Location: Milan Italy
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2005, 04:46
christoph wrote:
Folaa3 wrote:
What is wrong with A?


i think "will have to be abandoned" is technically wrong. the right usage of simple future would be "will be abandoned".


"will be abandoned" is the future of the verb "to abandon" (passive form)
"will have to be abandoned" is the verb "to have to abandon" (passive form)
so it is correct (I don't think you could find a mistake of that nature in GMAT, this could be a TOEFL mistake)

I think the logical flaw is that the abandonment of the river is caused by pollution, not by (or "as a result of") the river itself
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2005
Posts: 485
Location: Milan Italy
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2005, 06:48
It is a restrictive clause, and it is better to introduce restrictive clauses with "that". To clarify your mind on the point, I think this link could be really useful.

Restrictive clauses are introduced by that and are not separated from the rest of the sentence by commas.
Non-restrictive clauses are introduced by which and must be separated by commas from the rest of the sentence to indicate parenthesis.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/which.htm
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1477
Location: Germany
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2005, 07:09
thearch wrote:
It is a restrictive clause, and it is better to introduce restrictive clauses with "that". To clarify your mind on the point, I think this link could be really useful.

Restrictive clauses are introduced by that and are not separated from the rest of the sentence by commas.
Non-restrictive clauses are introduced by which and must be separated by commas from the rest of the sentence to indicate parenthesis.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/which.htm


"that" is used to introduce ONLY restrictive clauses

"which" is used to introduce nonrestritive (non-essential information) AND restrictive (essential information) clauses, the "which" in a nonrestrictive clause is preceded by a comma
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Posts: 595
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2005, 07:20
christoph wrote:
thearch wrote:
It is a restrictive clause, and it is better to introduce restrictive clauses with "that". To clarify your mind on the point, I think this link could be really useful.

Restrictive clauses are introduced by that and are not separated from the rest of the sentence by commas.
Non-restrictive clauses are introduced by which and must be separated by commas from the rest of the sentence to indicate parenthesis.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/which.htm


"that" is used to introduce ONLY restrictive clauses

"which" is used to introduce nonrestritive (non-essential information) AND restrictive (essential information) clauses, the "which" in nonrestrictive clause is preceded by a comma

Well, then how do u chose between that and which when you
have restricitve clause?
S
_________________

Regards, S

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1477
Location: Germany
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2005, 07:30
saurya_s wrote:
Well, then how do u chose between that and which when you
have restricitve clause?
S


you can use "that" as well as "which". IMO there is no mistake in B) concerning the usage of "which". "which" is used in the right way. i tkink the mistake lies in the meaning, because a river cannot recieve pollution. a river becomes polluted.
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2734
Location: New York City
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2007, 09:16
christoph wrote:
saurya_s wrote:
Well, then how do u chose between that and which when you
have restricitve clause?
S


you can use "that" as well as "which". IMO there is no mistake in B) concerning the usage of "which". "which" is used in the right way. i tkink the mistake lies in the meaning, because a river cannot recieve pollution. a river becomes polluted.


on account of is wordy compared to because.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1954
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2013, 04:32
saurya_s wrote:
Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars planning a reservoir along the Ubi River, the project will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted.
(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted
(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution which the river received
(C) had to be abandoned because the river had received such heavy pollution
(D) has to be abandoned because of the river and its heavy pollution
(E) must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted


What's the OA for this one? Too many questions without OA nowadays
IMO should be A

Other answer choices have a tense issue
The state has spent, this happened first. Then the river will be abandoned because it has become heavily polluted
B - Awkward
C- had to be abandoned implies that the river was abandoned even before the city started spending so this one is out.
D- because of the river and its heavy polution is giving two reasons here. But the first one makes no sense. has to be abandoned because of the river? This one is out too
E- must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted, now this is a close contender. Let's see, I personally think that must changes the meaning. It should not be used in this way. When you say must you are giving an order. Here it is implying that it should be abandoned. So just cause of this wording I believe A is a better choice but I have to say this is a close call

So A

Happy to discuss further if needed
Cheers
J :)
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Battle for 700+ is ON!!
Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Posts: 13
Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 01-18-2014
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2013, 00:24
2
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All,

OA is E. Please refer this post.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/vie ... &view=next


Regards,
Brindha
_________________

Cheers,
BG

Hit 'Kudos' if you find my post helpful


OG 13 Verbal Directory: http://gmatclub.com/forum/official-guide-verbal-question-directory-og-13-and-og-161949.html#p1121171
Question Of the Day: http://gmatclub.com/blog/category/blog/gmat-tests/?fl=menu
Extreme Collection of 2000 PS & DS: http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html?fl=similar
CR Tips & Approach to arrive at Best Answer: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached. I won't stop till I hit 700+

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1954
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 07:09
brugopal wrote:
Hi All,

OA is E. Please refer this post.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/vie ... &view=next


Regards,
Brindha


There's no response by MGMAT experts
Would someone else elaborate on this problem? I still have my doubts regarding A vs. E

Particulalrly, why is A wrong here?

Cheers!
J :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 May 2014
Posts: 29
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 11:06
jlgdr wrote:

There's no response by MGMAT experts
Would someone else elaborate on this problem? I still have my doubts regarding A vs. E

Particulalrly, why is A wrong here?

Cheers!
J :)





Hi jlgdr,

1. I think one of the differences in option A and option E is the sense of urgency.

Roger will have to work hard, if he wants to pass the exam. (Will be effective at some point of time in the future)
Roger must work hard, if he wants to pass the exam. (Effective from now, Urgent)

2. One more error in option A in my opinion is that the abandonment of the project cannot be the result of river becoming polluted. The abandonment of the project can be the result of the decision taken by authorities.
Or we can say “the project needs to be abandoned because the river has become polluted”.

The result of the river becoming polluted might be that the water is causing harm to its users.


P.S.: I don’t think any expert is going to reply this question until a source is cited. I would stay away from such questions and devote my time to the official questions only, if I were you.


Hope this helps! :)
Manyu
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10321
Premium Member
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 12:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 11 Apr 2016
Posts: 53
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 09:33
One more issue with A is the verb tense of "become". We do not need a present continuous form of become and hence E is right over A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Status: Preparing for GMAT
Joined: 25 Nov 2015
Posts: 484
Location: India
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 09:45
must be abandoned is better than will have to be abandoned.
Moreover, becoming so heavily polluted is awkward
_________________

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 151
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
CAT Tests
Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 07:42
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo

Hi, I was wondering could one of you guys please explain why option A is incorrect? Other than being wordy, is there any other reason why option A is incorrect. The only reason why I eliminated the correct answer (E) was because I felt like "Must be abandoned" was a bit too strong compared to "will have to be abandoned" in option A. Could you one of you guys please help me clarify this doubt? Would greatly appreciate it!
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2455
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 15:38
csaluja wrote:
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo

Hi, I was wondering could one of you guys please explain why option A is incorrect? Other than being wordy, is there any other reason why option A is incorrect. The only reason why I eliminated the correct answer (E) was because I felt like "Must be abandoned" was a bit too strong compared to "will have to be abandoned" in option A. Could you one of you guys please help me clarify this doubt? Would greatly appreciate it!




Hello csaluja,

Although your doubt is not directed to me, I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

You are correct in saying that will have to be abandoned is not the reason for Choice A to be incorrect.

Choice A is incorrect because it says that the projects will have to abandoned because of the river.

Please note that the phrase becoming so heavily polluted has been used as a modifier for the river. As a modifier, this phrase just presents extra information about the river.

The phrase fails to convey that the project will have to abandoned because the river has become heavily polluted.


Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4680
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 17:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
csaluja wrote:
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo

Hi, I was wondering could one of you guys please explain why option A is incorrect? Other than being wordy, is there any other reason why option A is incorrect. The only reason why I eliminated the correct answer (E) was because I felt like "Must be abandoned" was a bit too strong compared to "will have to be abandoned" in option A. Could you one of you guys please help me clarify this doubt? Would greatly appreciate it!

Dear csaluja,

I see that Shraddha at eGMAT responded, and I will add a few more thoughts. :-)

You are correct that (E) is strong and direct and confident in its phrasing and that's a GOOD thing! First of all, think about advertising and other business talk. Imagine the person whose sale pitch is, "Gee, maybe my product might make some kind of difference in your marketing." That lily-livered disaster will put that salesperson out of business! By contrast, consider the person who says, "I know that my product will shoot your sales numbers through the ceiling! You will have so many new sales that you won't know what to do with them!" That's a much more powerful and confident sales approach. Even if the two products of these two salespeople are more or less the same, the latter will wildly outsell the former because of the power of his message. It's that way in all of business: if you can't speak with conviction about what you are doing, then this situation begs the question why you are doing it at all!

Also, think about the real live situation of this SC question in the real world. Even though the "Ubi River," and hence the entire location, is fictional, GMAT Verbal problems always have the "feel" of something that would happen in the real world. In this river, the state was planning a reservoir, but now the river is "so heavily polluted." Do you want to drink this water? Would you want your family to drink this water? Would you want anyone's family to drink this water? Of course not! Since it's clear that this is not going to become a reservoir, is there any reason to sink a few million more dollars into it? Do you want to pay for that? Again, of course not! This sentence properly needs to be phrased with words that have the same ring of certainty and conviction that the phrase "of course not!" has.

Here's (A):
Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars planning a reservoir along the Ubi River, the project will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted.
That has the urgency of a cold bowl of oatmeal. It's pathetically weak and spineless. The phrasing employs the passive voice for the main verb of the sentence. I would say the "becoming" is a gerund: it's position as a cause is casual and questionable, but certainly the sentence would have more punch if there were another verb rather than a verb form. This is a wordy flaccid disaster.

Compare (E):
Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars planning a reservoir along the Ubi River, the project must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted.
Two strong verbs: "must be abandoned" (passive but emphatic) and "has become." This version crackles with decisiveness. Yes! This really is a problem! We really need to do something about it! This sentence has the feel of urgency and significance appropriate to the situation.

My friend, if you interpret GMAT SC only at the level of what's happening with the grammar, you will miss more than half of what is going on. On the harder question, the GMAT loves to have incorrect answer choices that are 100% grammatically correct but wrong for other reasons. On a well-written GMAT SC sentence, grammar and logic and rhetoric all work together to support a single meaning. Here, the strong clear direct language in (E) is a wonderful example of the rhetoric supporting the meaning.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2018, 17:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.