It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Even Though they do not sting or bite

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 15

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Even Though they do not sting or bite [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 20:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (00:47) correct 28% (01:00) wrong based on 137 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Even though they do not sting or bite , many people are surprised to learn that cicades are benign creatures because they appear threatening

A.Even though they do not sting or bite , many people are surprised to learn that cicades are benign creatures because they appear threatening

B. many people are surprised to learn that cicades are benign creatures, who appear threatening

C.surprising for many people to learn cicades are benign creatures because they appear threatening

D. cicades appear threatening . therefore many people are surprised to learn that they are benign

E. cicades appear threatening . which causes many people to be surprised when learning that they are benign
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Even Though they do not sting or bite [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 20:42
Kindly explain difference between D & E choices

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 224 [2], given: 49

GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Even Though they do not sting or bite [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 20:51
This post received
KUDOS
Now to think about it, what can the starting modifier "even though..." logically modify?
1) many people
2) OR surprising for many people
3) OR cicades?
Correct answer is 3). So options A), B) and C) are out.

D. cicades appear threatening , therefore many people are surprised to learn that they are benign
The use of "they" is inappropriate, as it can refer to either "cicades" or "people"!
However, the opening modifier has "they" which clearly modifies "cicades", so we know that "they" in 2nd part should also modify "cicades"

E. cicades appear threatening , which causes many people to be surprised when learning that they are benign
"which" appears to modify the entire clause "cicades appear threatening" however, that is NOT the function of "which". "which" can only and only modify the preceding noun. Never a clause!

Please consider giving Kudos if you like my explanation :)

Kudos [?]: 224 [2], given: 49

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 04:00
Agree with Patronus, 'they' is not completely accurate in the correct answer. All the othes are clearly flawed though.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 10:03
Hi,

D is best among the rest. Only D and E have cicades after the comma rightly modifying the first clause.

In E the which wrongly refers to threatening while being wordy as well. "when" does not refer to any specific time as well.

Both D and E have an ambiguous "they" which can refer to cicades as well as people.

Hence D is best among the rest.

Regards,
Dom

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 00:05
Hi DominicRaj,

Rightly I picked the Option D. But for some reason, I dont like the Option D for at least two reasons

1. Therefore is being used as a Conjuctive adverb and hence the structure is wrong.

2. in the second part of the sentence 'They' is used; The word they can easily reflect the nearest noun People. I would repeat the word Cicades again.

what are your thoughts. No doubt Option D stands better.

dominicraj wrote:
Hi,

D is best among the rest. Only D and E have cicades after the comma rightly modifying the first clause.

In E the which wrongly refers to threatening while being wordy as well. "when" does not refer to any specific time as well.

Both D and E have an ambiguous "they" which can refer to cicades as well as people.

Regards,
Dom

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 113

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 01:25
shriramvelamuri wrote:
Hi DominicRaj,

Rightly I picked the Option D. But for some reason, I dont like the Option D for at least two reasons

1. Therefore is being used as a Conjuctive adverb and hence the structure is wrong.

2. in the second part of the sentence 'They' is used; The word they can easily reflect the nearest noun People. I would repeat the word Cicades again.

dominicraj wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Dom

Hi Shriramvelamuri,

I am not sure if using a conjuctive adverb "therefore" is wrong in the way it has been used.

For Eg. see this sentence:
The true mushroom itself is to a great extent a dung-borne species, therefore mushroom-beds are always liable to an invasion from other dung-borne forms.

But like I have mentioned previously, in option E the "which" reference and "when" reference is wrong and both D and E carry ambiguous "they".

So best among the rest is D. :)

Regards,
Dom.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 403

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 02:10
dominicraj wrote:
shriramvelamuri wrote:
Hi DominicRaj,

dominicraj wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Dom

Hi Shriramvelamuri,

I am not sure if using a conjuctive adverb "therefore" is wrong in the way it has been used.

For Eg. see this sentence:
The true mushroom itself is to a great extent a dung-borne species, therefore mushroom-beds are always liable to an invasion from other dung-borne forms.

But like I have mentioned previously, in option E the "which" reference and "when" reference is wrong and both D and E carry ambiguous "they".

So best among the rest is D. :)

Regards,
Dom.

Hi

I think that the sentence that you wrote above showing the use of therefore is a run-on sentence.
The sentence would be correct if the use of "AND "or a semi-colon is made before therefore.

I quote the following from MGMAT SC guide-

Conjunctive Adverb - A transition word or phrase that is used after a semicolon to help connect two
main clauses. Conjunctive adverbs are not true conjunctions.
Examples:
therefore, thus, consequently, however, nevertheless, furthermore, etc.
The general was stuck in traffic; therefore, the ceremony started late.

I hope you find the above helpful.

As far as the main SC question under discussion is considered, I think that the sentence is poorly constructed and confusing.

Kudos if you find the post helpful :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 403

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 23:07
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Re: Even Though they do not sting or bite   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2017, 23:07

Even Though they do not sting or bite

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap