Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [23]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [2]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [0]
Send PM
Re: Every day the mailboxes of America are filled with solicitations provi [#permalink]
Hey Hi workout so I have been posting all the RC from Kaplan Advanced that aren't already uploaded on the GMAT club.
But this passage already exists and is not done in the right way here's the link, even all the Questions are uploaded:-
https://gmatclub.com/forum/every-day-th ... 58837.html

So can you do something
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Re: Every day the mailboxes of America are filled with solicitations provi [#permalink]
Expert Reply
saviofernanz wrote:
Hey Hi workout so I have been posting all the RC from Kaplan Advanced that aren't already uploaded on the GMAT club.
But this passage already exists and is not done in the right way here's the link, even all the Questions are uploaded:-
https://gmatclub.com/forum/every-day-th ... 58837.html

So can you do something

saviofernanz

I have locked the other topic and moved it into the archive. Also, for any new RC's you post, I would suggest you wait for at least 24hrs before posting official explanations. This will give the users to go through the RC first. If you post OE at the same time as RC, please make sure to include "spoiler" tags.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
Can someone explain me #4 question?

IMO, though i am not sure, D would be the correct answer. Please find below my reasoning on each option:

A. Despite its drawbacks, direct marketing has had an overall positive effect on American society. -- I don't see any discussion over positive effect on American Society through out the passage.
B. The attitudes revealed in opinion polls can provide insight into actual behaviour.-- In Paragraph 2, author describes the survey result but nowhere mention his own opinion.
C. Regarding the effects of commercial enterprises, presenting a nuisance is a more serious offense to society than is invasion of privacy.-- Author is nowhere comparing the effects.
D. Everyone who would prefer to remain on at least one mailing list thinks that direct marketing negatively affects society in some way.-- Though "Everyone" is a bit extreme but this sentence is a bit relatable to "Even those who believe that the direct mailing industry has a generally negative societal impact probably would prefer to remain on some mailing lists." There is one more contradiction between the passage and answer option: in passage flow goes from X to Y but in answer choice it is in opposite direction. I mean:
X: those who believe that the direct mailing industry has a generally negative societal impact
Y: remain on some mailing lists
In passage X would prefer to Y but in answer choice it is Y thinks that X. But still i would say it is more relatable than answer choice A to the passage. We can keep this for now.
E. The growth in direct marketing would be even more significant in the future if the percentage of people who found direct mail offers to be a nuisance were to decrease.-- This answer choice is a pure prediction about future effect. But in the passage, author nowhere made any prediction.

So, I am left with only answer choice D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 435
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
The OA for Q4 is listed as B but in the actual question tag itself it's listed as A which is incorrect. Please fix that error.
Director
Director
Send PM
aanjumz92 wrote:
The OA for Q4 is listed as B but in the actual question tag itself it's listed as A which is incorrect. Please fix that error.

Yup thank you pointing that out.
Its fixed
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Q 4 has to be (B)

i dont think A is the right answer - " overall positive ffeect on society " is a stretch .
B - is absolutely right. The second para tells us the second facet of the contradction with evidence of numbers.. i.e opinion and expenditure...with the help of stats we get to know that there is a contradiction.. so we do get insights...
Director
Director
Send PM
AdityaHongunti wrote:
Q 4 has to be (B)

i dont think A is the right answer - " overall positive ffeect on society " is a stretch .
B - is absolutely right. The second para tells us the second facet of the contradction with evidence of numbers.. i.e opinion and expenditure...with the help of stats we get to know that there is a contradiction.. so we do get insights...

Yes B was always the right answer, kindly check the spoiler and answers and explanations
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GmatWizard wrote:
aanjumz92 wrote:

Yup thank you pointing that out.
Its fixed

My comment was regarding your acknowledgement to this comment...

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Send PM
Oh okay sorry I thought you doubted the answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Explain q2 plz..i didnt find it related to passage

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

2. Which one of the following critiques most approximates the logic underlying the author's concern regarding the effects of the computer matching programs mentioned in lines 10-14?

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

We're asked to identify the criticism that most closely approximates the logic of the author's concern over the use of computer matching programs. Well, why is the author concerned about these? The line reference brings us right to the crux of the matter: "Sophisticated computer matching programs can produce intrusive personal profiles from information which, standing alone, does not threaten individual privacy." Extracting the general logical structure of this, we have a situation in which harmless individual elements, when combined, become harmful in some way. That's the situation we need to find among the choices, and (B) best approximates this situation: the species alone aren't dangerous to the ecosystem, but put them together and look out! The mechanism at work in (B) mirrors the mechanism the author describes in paragraph 1— namely, the way that computer matching systems can combine non-intrusive independent bits of information into a profile that threatens individual privacy. It's helpful to restate exactly what we're looking for in order to eliminate the wrong choices: the logic of the original example in the passage states that things (bits of information) that individually don't have a certain effect (i.e., threaten privacy) DO have that effect when put together.

(A) Here, we have species that individually don't harm the ecosystem (so far so good), but when put together may harm each other. Not the same thing.

(C), like all of the wrong choices, starts out okay with individual species that by themselves don't harm the ecosystem, so we have to look to the end of the choice to see where it goes awry. In this case, the ecologist is chastised for objecting to the joint introduction of all three species into the ecosystem on the grounds that doing so may not allow other species to join later. This result would not necessarily cause damage to the ecosystem, which is the result that we're looking for in order for this critique to match the logic of the passage's computer matching example.

(D) This time the ecologist's assertion is based on the grounds that the species in question may be happier somewhere else. Again, the "overlooked possibility" is not one that necessarily causes harm: The ecosystem might not be an optimal environment for the species, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the ecosystem itself will be damaged.

(E) Their previous ecosystems? What does that have to do with putting them together here in the ecosystem in question? This is far from the logic underlying the example in the passage. An 800 test taker is able to apply what she learns in the passage to other issues in different contexts.

Answer: B

KPraveen wrote:
Explain q2 plz..i didnt find it related to passage
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13960 posts