It is currently 25 Jun 2017, 23:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligen

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member
Re: Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligen [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2016, 00:33
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

Could you please provide your comments on this.

I want to know what is the issue with option B?

Regards
EMPOWERgmat Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Re: Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligen [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2016, 02:39
The argument states that everyone who has graduated from Top Notch High school has an IQ over 120. "B" states that if a person is a high school graduate and has an IQ of 100, he or she could not have been a student at Top Notch High school. The case might be that this student studied in Top Notch High school for a while and the then shifted to some other school from where he graduated. In that case the conclusion does not hold. Hence "B" cannot be a possible answer

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V27
GPA: 2.5
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 04:21
vscid wrote:
Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120. Most students with an IQ of over 120 and all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them.

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following conclusions?

1]Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
2]If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.
3]If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.
4]At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
5]If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.

A; wrong, how about if T graduates don't apply?
B; wrong, they can be T student and they may quit in the halfway
C; correct, pay attention to "it is possible"
D; wrong, it can happen that only 5 T graduates with IQ just over 120 apply and none of them is accepted. (pay attention to "most"
E; wrong, it is possible that they are accepted, but they have better choices. So they applied but went to another school.

Correct me if i am wrong.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 01:13
PathFinder007 wrote:
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

Could you please provide your comments on this.

I want to know what is the issue with option B?

Regards

Hi PathFinder007,

This is an Inference question. To be 100% clear on our assignment with this question, we have to be able to look at the correct option and say, "yup, I know that for an absolute fact."

Let's pull up the salient points:
Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120. Most students with an IQ of over 120 and all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them.

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following conclusions?

B) If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.

Is it possible that TopNotch could have had STUDENTS (not graduates) with IQs of less than 100? Yes. From the information we're given, we can't rule out that possibility. For all we know, TopNotch could have had a student with a 99 IQ who got booted from the program and never graduated. That means we have to get rid of option B.

Bigger Picture: There's a reason why this question is rated at a 95% difficulty quotient. The granularity of these options, particularly B, reaches an unusual level.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 12:32
Contenders are C and D
C]If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.
>>> This is possible, and if you assign value of probability , this statement has a chance 1 or 100%

D]At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
>>> Nothing wrong with the statement, except the probability is less than 1 or 100%
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 00:28
JenRugani wrote:
[], your explanations for this one are great! People still seem a little confused on A and D, so let's look at those one more time.

A) Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.

We can't conclude that every graduate of TopNotch with a 150+ IQ has APPLIED to an Ivy-League school. If they apply, the argument tells us that they will be accepted to at least one, but there's nothing in the prompt to suggest that every 150+ student applies to at least one Ivy.

D) At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.

Let's say that every TopNotch graduate who applies to an Ivy-League school has an IQ between 120 and 150 (so nobody with a 150+ IQ applies). We only know that MOST students with a 120+ IQ who apply to an Ivy-League school are accepted to at least one. Therefore, there exists the possibility that nobody from TopNotch would be accepted to an Ivy, so D has to be eliminated.

Hope that helps for those two choices!

I am trying to understand why D) is incorrect.
We know that "Most students with an IQ of over 120 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them"
say 10 students from TopNotch high school (120<IQ<150) applied to one or more IVY league Universities, since most of them are accepted to at least one of them, we can expect at least 6(i.e. most of them) get accepted to one of the IVY leagues.
I see that C is a clear answer. But I am not able understand why D is wrong.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2016, 03:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
hemadri wrote:
I am trying to understand why D) is incorrect.
We know that "Most students with an IQ of over 120 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them"
say 10 students from TopNotch high school (120<IQ<150) applied to one or more IVY league Universities, since most of them are accepted to at least one of them, we can expect at least 6(i.e. most of them) get accepted to one of the IVY leagues.
I see that C is a clear answer. But I am not able understand why D is wrong.

Here is why:

Argument:
Everyone who graduates from topnotch high school has IQ > 120.
Most > 120 IQ and all > 150 IQ students who apply get accepted to at least one Ivy league university.

4]At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
Not necessary. It is possible that no student from top notch has IQ > 150 or even if there are students with IQ > 150, they may not have applied. We know that most students with IQ > 120 who apply get accepted but it is possible that all those who applied from top notch (and hence had IQ>120) got rejected. (Number of people who applied from top notch could be a very small % of the total number of people with IQ > 120 who applied)

Say this year 1000 students with IQ greater than 120 applied to Ivy League universities. Say only 20 of them did not get accepted to any university so most got accepted.
It is possible that all students of Top Notch who applied fall in this 20. What if only 5 of Top Notch had applied and all 5 are in this 20? Then (D) is not true.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 19:39
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button – closing this request.
Re: Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligen   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2017, 19:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ]