Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Exam temperament (Failed at 2nd attempt too) : Please help [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi retakegal95,

To start, you would likely get more of a response if you also posted your story in the Shared Experience Forum:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/share-gmat-experience-8/

In a prior series of posts back in October, here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/low-gmat-sco ... l#p1744691

You described how you had taken the 6 Official GMAC CATs. In this recent thread, you describe taking them all again. Unfortunately, that is NOT realistic - retaking a CAT that you have already taken almost always leads to 'repeat' questions. Even just a few of those questions will 'throw off' the algorithm as well as diminish any natural anxiety issues, pacing problems, etc. that you might normally have. The result is an artificially 'inflated' score that doesn't properly define what you need to work on to improve.

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Since this 2nd Official Score is 30 points above your prior Official Score, it's likely that you have the same general skills/ability that you had before. To score at a significantly higher level, you'll likely need to focus on changing how you 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT; that will almost certainly require learning/practicing new Tactics.

We also cannot discount the poor night's sleep that you described. That lack of sleep would almost certainly impact anyone's performance on Test Day.

1) Are you planning to apply to same Schools that you mentioned back in October? If those MIM/SIM Programs both still 'require' just a 600, then you're clearly in position to apply.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi retakegal95,

To start, you would likely get more of a response if you also posted your story in the Shared Experience Forum:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/share-gmat-experience-8/

In a prior series of posts back in October, here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/low-gmat-sco ... l#p1744691

You described how you had taken the 6 Official GMAC CATs. In this recent thread, you describe taking them all again. Unfortunately, that is NOT realistic - retaking a CAT that you have already taken almost always leads to 'repeat' questions. Even just a few of those questions will 'throw off' the algorithm as well as diminish any natural anxiety issues, pacing problems, etc. that you might normally have. The result is an artificially 'inflated' score that doesn't properly define what you need to work on to improve.

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Since this 2nd Official Score is 30 points above your prior Official Score, it's likely that you have the same general skills/ability that you had before. To score at a significantly higher level, you'll likely need to focus on changing how you 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT; that will almost certainly require learning/practicing new Tactics.

We also cannot discount the poor night's sleep that you described. That lack of sleep would almost certainly impact anyone's performance on Test Day.

1) Are you planning to apply to same Schools that you mentioned back in October? If those MIM/SIM Programs both still 'require' just a 600, then you're clearly in position to apply.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Heyy,

Thankyou so much for your response Sir.

Yes you are right I took the official CATs again. But, I didn't encounter any repeat questions in exam pack 1 and 2. As, during my last attempt, I didn't review these mocks so, all the questions I encountered were new. Gmat prep 1 and 2 had repeat questions. So, yes in these two the scores were inflated I guess. Moreover, I took 7 veritas prep test and scored the same in them. Also, I gave one kaplan and Economist free exam and scored 700 and 710 in both of them respectively.

I guess you are right in the respect that I need to change how i "see" (respond to) GMAT. But, I have taken approximately 100 timed quizzes for both verbal and quant. I scored pretty well in them. I understand the anxiety and stress are there when you give the real exam. I am not able to understand how to proceed further. What I can pin down from my whole experience is that the I tend to cling on a question thinking that I might get this one right and I waste time, because of which I am under pressure for the remaining ones. I need to improve my timing strategy and I realized that earlier too and made a plan but, I couldn't apply in the real thing. This is what is bothering me. That how can I deal with this problem. I will be grateful if you could suggest me something.

Moreover, as I was scoring well in my mocks and I was confident I was focusing on Masters in Management from US, I know that's pretty competitive and I need a better GMAT for the same. I am planning to write GMAT again, as I still feel I am clear with the concepts. But, I really dont know how can I work upon my exam temperament issue.

Thanks for taking out time to respond.

Regards
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
retakegal95 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
From your latest ESR, I see that you spend less time in CR and more in SC. Ideally, you don't need more than 1 - 1.25 mins for an SC question. But for CR, people usually take upto 2 mins. The point I am trying to make is, that you might want to increase your speed in SC (say, by focussing on the decision points). Also, in case you are a little more careful in CR questions, you might improve your accuracy. Yes, RC certainly did not work out in your favor but you already knew that. What was the problem you faced in RC during the exam? Was comprehension a problem? Or was time a problem?

Thankyou so much Ma'am for responding. Actually, the ESR shows the average time for CR less because I got CRs over the end and I had to guess them, otherwise my average time for a CR is 2:00-2:30 mins. I know I need to improve, but what I feel is it is a skill to take the test, and I really don't have that. Because I practiced a lot and prepared a lot for this attempt. What happened in the exam especially in RC was that I understood the whole passage, I was just stuck between 2-3 choices and I wasted time clinging to a specific question. The first time I did this thing was in first 10 questions when around 6th question, there was a long RC and comprehended that well, I read that RC in 2:40 secs. The first question was a main point question and none of the options was covering the whole passage. So, I was confused between the options and wasted my time there. I wasted around 4 mins on that question. I somewhat froze. I knew I should move on but I couldn't. After that, I was behind time the whole.

This is why I feel that this same thing could happen again. I thought that my second attempt would be the last one. I am planning to Masters in management in Fall 2018. So, I have to apply to schools before September this year. And, multiple retakes wouldn't be seen as a bad thing?
Also, even when I was practicing at home, my verbal timing during mocks was pretty bad. How can I improve my timing? When I practice questions individually my timing is good but, during mocks things are different.

Thanks again

regards

Firstly, let me respond to this concern of yours: And, multiple retakes wouldn't be seen as a bad thing?
You already have two scores on your score report. Now, decide on a target score, say 680, before going in the test. Anything less than that and you can cancel the score. No one will know about your attempt since a cancelled score does not appear in the score report provided to the school. You do lose some money but in the grand scheme of things, you shouldn't worry about it. Accept the score only if you are actually good with it. Thanks to this option, the attempt becomes a "real" attempt only if you want it to be. Hence, half of your worry is unfounded.

Your CR performance then makes sense. Usually, people who are strong in Quant, tend to be good in CR too. CR is logic based and most of its questions can be solved by a step-by-step Mathematical type of approach.
Establish set strategies for various question types and follow them. With enough practice, your speed should increase and stress should reduce.

As for clinging to a question, know that one odd wrong answer in a mix won't hurt your score much - in fact it may not hurt your score at all even if it is not an experimental question - but the added stress and reduced time it lead to will certainly affect your score badly. Sometimes, you need to lose a battle to win the war.
Here is a post which talks about such strategic "quitting" and why it is very important: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2010/1 ... for-field/
GMAT Club Bot