It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 19:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Example: The experiment proved that securing control over

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 172

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

Example: The experiment proved that securing control over [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2009, 11:44
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Example:
The experiment proved that securing control over one's mind was a primary goal of the Indian scientists,
as it was of the Chinese scientists.

A. as it was of the Chinese
B. as that of the Chinese
C. like that of the Chinese.

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 896

Kudos [?]: 732 [0], given: 17

Re: SC: Simple pronoun reference it vs that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2009, 11:48
it refers to "primary goal"
hence A

can you pls elaborate more or paste the full Q
Thanks :)
ConkergMat wrote:
Example:
The experiment proved that securing control over one's mind was a primary goal of the Indian scientists,
as it was of the Chinese scientists.

A. as it was of the Chinese
B. as that of the Chinese
C. like that of the Chinese.

_________________

http://gmatclub.com/forum/math-polygons-87336.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Kudos [?]: 732 [0], given: 17

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 172

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Simple pronoun reference it vs that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2009, 12:10
what's wrong in B?
Doesn't "that of" also imply the same i.e goal of?

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 365

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

Location: India
Re: SC: Simple pronoun reference it vs that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2009, 13:45
Since we are comparing 2 clauses so it is clear that we need to use as.
Use of which and that should be close to the noun/phrase these modify.

Hence I will also go with A.

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 365

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

Location: India
Re: SC: Simple pronoun reference it vs that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2009, 13:45
Since we are comparing 2 clauses so it is clear that we need to use as.
Use of which and that should be close to the noun/phrase these modify.

Hence I will also go with A.

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1795

Kudos [?]: 1033 [0], given: 5

Location: New York
Re: SC: Simple pronoun reference it vs that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2009, 14:34
nitya34 wrote:
it refers to "primary goal"
hence A

can you pls elaborate more or paste the full Q
Thanks :)
ConkergMat wrote:
Example:
The experiment proved that securing control over one's mind was a primary goal of the Indian scientists,
as it was of the Chinese scientists.

A. as it was of the Chinese
B. as that of the Chinese
C. like that of the Chinese.


Nitya,

I don't think it --refers to goal
it refers to "securing control over one's mind"

X was primary goal of Y, as it (X) was [primary goal]of Z

A is the answer.


B - clearly out. comparing "clause" with "phrase"
"as" used to compare clause vs clause
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1033 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 251

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 9

Location: Kolkata
Schools: La Martiniere for Boys
Re: SC: Simple pronoun reference it vs that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2009, 23:51
x2suresh wrote:
nitya34 wrote:
it refers to "primary goal"
hence A

can you pls elaborate more or paste the full Q
Thanks :)
ConkergMat wrote:
Example:
The experiment proved that securing control over one's mind was a primary goal of the Indian scientists,
as it was of the Chinese scientists.

A. as it was of the Chinese
B. as that of the Chinese
C. like that of the Chinese.


Nitya,

I don't think it --refers to goal
it refers to "securing control over one's mind"

X was primary goal of Y, as it (X) was [primary goal]of Z

A is the answer.


B - clearly out. comparing "clause" with "phrase"
"as" used to compare clause vs clause



Doesn't 'it' have to refer to a thing? Does "securing control over one's mind" function as a noun or action.

Generally speaking, can 'it' refer to verbs? Can 'it' refer to gerunds?
_________________

Thanks
rampuria

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 9

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 298

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 7

Re: SC: Simple pronoun reference it vs that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2009, 05:08
my take on C ..
i think here sentence compares primary goal of chinese with that of indian scientist ..
and
Like is used to compare nouns and AS is used to compare clause/action..

Expert comments pls !!
_________________

"CEO in making"

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 7

Re: SC: Simple pronoun reference it vs that   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2009, 05:08
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 The below is a classic example of distinguishing the vivgmat 7 03 May 2011, 10:37
1 MGMAT SC: Confusing Example R2I4D 1 13 Jan 2010, 12:39
1 SC-Idiom Example Phoenix9 6 02 Jan 2011, 22:54
example of passive voice !! bigoyal 8 31 Jul 2009, 05:22
1 Disease control Yalephd 2 25 Jul 2011, 20:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Example: The experiment proved that securing control over

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.