It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 05:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

Re: Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2012, 07:21
I ruled out c because it states historians' hypothesis that could be either right or wrong. facts rather than Opinions/hypothesis/beliefs strengthen an argument.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2012, 09:05
This question is mentioned in the live section of e gmat. we want e gmat expert do this question for us, using prethinking assumption first . pls, detail the process of prethink an assumption for this question. This step is key to success on CR. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 916

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: LBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7
Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2013, 11:47
mailnavin1 wrote:
scorpio7 wrote:
Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of Cyprus revealed a pattern of debris and collapsed buildings typical of towns devestated by earthquakes. Archaeologists have hypothesized that the destruction was due to a major earthquake known to have occured near the island in A.D. 365.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the archaeologists' hypothesis?

(A) Bronze ceremonial drinking vessals that are often found in graves dating from years preceding and following A.D. 365 were also found in several graves near Kourion. - The word following implies quake can also have happened in 366 or 367
(B) No coins minted after A.D. 365 were foundin Kourion, but coins minted before that year were found in abundance
(C) Most modern histories of Cyprus mention that an earthquake occured near the island in A.D. 365. - Nearby earthquake has no significance - Earthquake in India did not cause one in pakistan :lol:
(D) Several small statues carved in styles current in Cyprus in the century between A.D. 300 and 400 were found in Kourion. - same as A
(E) Stone inscriptions in a form of the Greek alphabet that was definitely used in Cyrpus after A.D. 365 were found in Kourion.- weakens the argument

Obviously this is an official question. However, read the stem: "Archaeologists have hypothesized that the destruction was due to a major earthquake known to have occured near the island in A.D. 365"

Now read C: Most modern histories of Cyprus mention that an earthquake occured near the island in A.D. 365

Its actually a perfect answer.

"B" doesnt prove there was an earthquake, although its plausible. It depends on which part of the conclusion you are attacking. Perhaps Kourion decided not to use coins, and switched to trading teeth as currency? "B" does not have to mean that there were earthquakes nor does it mean that the city was destroyed. I can poke a lot more holes into "B" than I can into "C".

That 700.. I can taste it

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 3

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [2], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 06-15-2013
GPA: 3.75
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2013, 19:17
This post received
KUDOS
(A) Bronze ceremonial drinking vessals that are often found in graves dating from years preceding and following A.D. 365 were also found in several graves near Kourion.---Irrelevant
(B) No coins minted after A.D. 365 were foundin Kourion, but coins minted before that year were found in abundance----shows that the coins something happened in AD 365 that stopped the normal coin production
(C) Most modern histories of Cyprus mention that an earthquake occured near the island in A.D. 365.--------Modern history is out of scope
(D) Several small statues carved in styles current in Cyprus in the century between A.D. 300 and 400 were found in Kourion.----------Irrelevant
(E) Stone inscriptions in a form of the Greek alphabet that was definitely used in Cyrpus after A.D. 365 were found in Kourion. ---------Doesn't make the argument strong

Kudos [?]: 5 [2], given: 0

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1327 [0], given: 820

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2013, 02:15
Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of Cyprus revealed a pattern of debris and collapsed buildings typical of towns devestated by earthquakes. Archaeologists have hypothesized that the destruction was due to a major earthquake known to have occured near the island in A.D. 365.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the archaeologists' hypothesis?

(A) Bronze ceremonial drinking vessals that are often found in graves dating from years preceding and following A.D. 365 were also found in several graves near Kourion.
(B) No coins minted after A.D. 365 were foundin Kourion, but coins minted before that year were found in abundance
(C) Most modern histories of Cyprus mention that an earthquake occured near the island in A.D. 365.
(D) Several small statues carved in styles current in Cyprus in the century between A.D. 300 and 400 were found in Kourion.
(E) Stone inscriptions in a form of the Greek alphabet that was definitely used in Cyrpus after A.D. 365 were found in Kourion.

Nothing but B,
A: talks about time after AD 365.
C: Talks abot earthquake near the island and also, the earthquake might not destroy the islands.
D: between 300 and 400 AD might include period after 365 AD also.
E: Talks about time after 365 AD

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 1327 [0], given: 820

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2013, 20:07
I don't buy the reasoning for 'C'. Just because the Option 'C' doesn't mention the words "earthquake destroyed" we cannot or rather we should not rule out the option. In fact if you guys put the same kind of reasoning in 'B' it clearly doesnt mention that the coins were stopped minting because of the devastation that the earthquake caused, it simply says that coins minted after AD 365 were not found which can also imply that kourions just stopped minting or they might have substituted coins with something else.

All I am saying is that Just because 'C' doesnt say the words "earthquake destroyed" we cannot/should not rule out C. If someone can really reason out with proper logic for both 'B' and 'C' that would be helpful.

I am also keen to know more about the reasoning that 'C' only repeats the conclusion and gives nothing more. This fact is true, 'C' does really says nothing more that just repeat the conclusion, but the main question is, in CR's of 'S' 'W' types where such type of options will/might be present, is it OK to eliminate it just because it restates the conclusion. Has any book/rule given something about it.

Please let me know

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

Kudos [?]: 735 [0], given: 80

GPA: 3.32

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2013, 13:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
let me try to unhitch the doubt if that helps anyone

A. .....dating from years preceding and following A.D. 365 were also found in several graves near Kourion--> how do we know if AD 365 earthquake was the end of the civilization
B. Something happened after which they stopped trading and minting coins? Probably no1 was alive to trade? Probably some major destruction. Looks great let's explore the other options.
C. Most modern histories of Cyprus mention that an earthquake occured near the island in A.D. 365---> Near the island(Near means how near? near enought to affect the civilization? we dont know or was that earthquake intense enough to wipe off the civilaztion? Again we dont know. For multiple reasons C goes off).
D. Several small statues carved in styles current in Cyprus in the century between A.D. 300 and 400 --> So? how does it helps us in the hypothesis?
E. Stone inscriptions in a form of the Greek alphabet that was definitely used in Cyrpus after A.D. 365 were found in Kourion --> OMG!! then definitely the civilization was alive, this one weakens the assumtions.

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 735 [0], given: 80

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 10

Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2014, 16:37

(A) Bronze ceremonial drinking vessals that are often found in graves dating from years preceding and following A.D. 365 were also found in several graves near Kourion.
(C) Most modern histories of Cyprus mention that an earthquake occured near the island in A.D. 365.
(D) Several small statues carved in styles current in Cyprus in the century between A.D. 300 and 400 were found in Kourion.
(E) Stone inscriptions in a form of the Greek alphabet that was definitely used in Cyrpus after A.D. 365 were found in Kourion.

i know the answer is B, but can any one explain to me why C is not correct ?

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 10

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Schools: HSG '16 (A)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2014, 10:15
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
let me try to unhitch the doubt if that helps anyone
C. Most modern histories of Cyprus mention that an earthquake occured near the island in A.D. 365---> Near the island(Near means how near? near enought to affect the civilization? we dont know or was that earthquake intense enough to wipe off the civilaztion? Again we dont know. For multiple reasons C goes off).

Why it is okay to say "Archeologists have hypothesised that the destruction was due to a major earthquake known to have occurred NEAR the island in A.D. 365" They say already that THIS nearby earthquake made the destructions. So we DO know that the city was affected by the earthquake.

What I fail to comprehend - like some have written here already, where there's any clue that the whole city/town was destroyed and ceased its life? Yes, it was devastated… yes, some buildings were in ruins…

What if the ore mines were collapsed after the earthquake, so no more gold/silver/copper could be mined to mint the coins? Or the skill of minting the coins was lost due to earthquake?
I think this question is too ambiguous. I'd like to see GMAC answering our questions here.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 183

WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2014, 04:10
I think providing evidence of earthquake is not sufficient to prove that destruction was caused by that particular earthquake so C should be incorrect

A. the word 'following' AD 365 makes this choice circumspect. we need evidence of destruction(meaning no activity to indicate civilization).

B. correct. Tells minted coins after AD 365 not found --> total destruction
C. as stated above it is incorrect
D and E indicate activity would've been possible after AD 365

I'm on 680... 20 days to reach 700 +

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 183

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 27

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Other (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2014, 20:50
Absence of coins after AD 345 means one of two things:

1) For whatever reason coin production stopped

2) For whatever reason people who used coins in that area stopped using coins in that area.

If you assume option 2) - which is what is used to justify answer choice C - you are only accepting that something happened which caused the people to move/die. It could very well have been something other than an earthquake. What if they just migrated for religious reasons? What if they moved out because of some disease? Floods? Who knows. We can't assume its an earthquake based on absence of use of coins.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 27

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2015, 04:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2016, 05:02

In this question, which portion in the question stem suggest that "occurrence of earthquake is not disputed"?
Sentence 1 says "typical of towns devastated by earthquake". This can imply that something similar to earthquake devastated the towns.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 20:42
Pre-thinking: (1) There was no earthquake other than the one in A.D. 365 in this area. or (2) evidence proves that the earthquake affected Kourion occurred in A.D. 365. ex: sth in Kourion that only can be found before A.D. 365

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 109

GPA: 3.92

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2016, 13:51
B. Pretty clear. If the researchers were able to pinpoint a certain date, there has to be strong evidence. Only B explains the researchers' confidence.

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 109

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 15:12
the choice supports the argument partially but not completely as the glasses found in the busrial sites does not mean that the city was detroyed by the earthquakel.
this choice proves that the city was destroyed as no coins minted after AD365 were found on the site proving that the city was indeed destroyed by the earthquake
the point supports the answer but choice b is more stronger as this point does not point that the city was destroyed.
th etimeline given in the choice is large and does not accuratly support the argument.
Does not prove any earthquake or any devastation of a city

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 232 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User
Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 15:28
scorpio7 wrote:

Which of the following,[i] if true, most strongly supports the archaeologists' hypothesis?[/i]

(B) No coins minted after A.D. 365 were found in Kourion, but coins minted before that year were found in abundance
(C) Most modern histories of Cyprus mention that an earthquake occurred near the island in A.D. 365.
(E) Stone inscriptions in a form of the Greek alphabet that was definitely used in Cyprus after A.D. 365 were found in Kourion.

Situation:

After excavation of the city, there have been got a pattern of debris and collapsed buildings, which are devastated by the earthquake. Archaeologists have hypothesized that the destruction
was due to a major (NOT minor) earthquake known to have occurred near the island in A.D. 365.
There are two situations I've to consider here:
1. Before A.D. 365 and
2. After A.D. 365

And also I must proof two things here simultaneously:
Part 1:

The destruction was due to an earthquake, which was major (our job is NOT to prove that the destruction was ONLY due to an earthquake because in first sentence of the argument it is already said that the destruction was due to an earthquake but we have to prove that the earthquake was a MAJOR earthquake rather than only earthquake
Part 2:
The destruction was happened in A.D. 365.
According to GMAC, option B is the 100% correct answer.

Part 1:
(B) No coins minted after A.D. 365 were found in Kourion, but coins minted before that year were found in abundance.
The fragment 1: No coins minted after A.D. 365 were found in Kourion,
The fragment 2: but coins minted before that year were found in abundance.
That means: (B) The coins, which minted after A.D. 365, were NOT found in Kourion, but the coins, which minted before that year (exactly in A.D. 364), were found in abundance.
What does the bold part infer?
The bold part infers that if someone gets the coin, which was made after 365 (i.e., 366,367,368 to till date), will proof that the destruction was NOT happen in A.D.365. If you got any coin in which there is written A.D. 366 on the site of the coin, it'll definitely proof that the destruction was happened in any day of A.D. 366 (NOT 365 as it is considered after 365 by The fragment 1), if you got any coin in which there is written 2015 on the site of the coin, it must proof that the destruction was happen in any day of 2015 (NOT 2014 or before as it is considered by me The coins, which minted after 2014, were...) to till date today but not tomorrow :) !
So, the fragment 1 ensures that the city had been destroyed by earthquake as ONLY earthquake is discussed in the argument.

Again, problem in option B:
The option B is totally unable to proof that the earthquake was major (NOT minor!). Suppose, someone has got some coins after earthquake, the guy may have these coins for a MINOR earthquake, isn't it?
The argument did not give any indication that if the earthquake is in 8 Richter scale then the earthquake will be major earthquake. And there also should have at least one indication in answer option, which must imply that the earthquake was, of course, major earthquake. But option B hasn't indicated that sort of things.

Analogy: [......statement.....].
[Conclusion]Finally, scientists have hypothesized that the reward was given by the white American. If answer option proves that it is ONLY by 'American' or it is by 'black American', it'll definitely be wrong! The correct answer option must prove that it is ONLY by "White American".

Here, I just want to say that ''adjective'' plays a vital role in this regard.

Part 2:
(B) The coins, which minted after A.D. 365, were NOT found in Kourion, but the coins, which minted before that year (this doesn't mean EXACTLY in A.D. 364, it may be FIRST month of A.D. 364 and also LAST month of A.D. 364), were found in abundance.

Analogy: Suppose, the coins were made on January, 2015 (but ONLY year 2015 will be written NOT January 1st , 10th, 31st , 2015 will be written fully/completely on the site of the coin!) and the earthquake occurred on May 1st , 2015. Suppose, GMAC has got some coins on this earthquake today (February 4, 2017). So, the GMAC MUST NOT say that the earthquake was happened in 2018 (The year 2018 has not come yet!). So, the correct answer option B can???t prove that the destruction was happened in A.D. 365; it, basically, will happen in any day of A.D. 364.

So, if my logic is correct, then GMAC's right option is wrong! But, if my logic doesn't fit with this situation and/or doesn't make any sense, then I'm really sorry for creating excitement to all the students and expert of GMAT Club! :)

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 3797 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2017, 05:08
iMyself wrote:
scorpio7 wrote:

Which of the following,[i] if true, most strongly supports the archaeologists' hypothesis?[/i]

(B) No coins minted after A.D. 365 were found in Kourion, but coins minted before that year were found in abundance
(C) Most modern histories of Cyprus mention that an earthquake occurred near the island in A.D. 365.
(E) Stone inscriptions in a form of the Greek alphabet that was definitely used in Cyprus after A.D. 365 were found in Kourion.

Situation:

After excavation of the city, there have been got a pattern of debris and collapsed buildings, which are devastated by the earthquake. Archaeologists have hypothesized that the destruction
was due to a major (NOT minor) earthquake known to have occurred near the island in A.D. 365.
There are two situations I've to consider here:
1. Before A.D. 365 and
2. After A.D. 365

And also I must proof two things here simultaneously:
Part 1:

The destruction was due to an earthquake, which was major (our job is NOT to prove that the destruction was ONLY due to an earthquake because in first sentence of the argument it is already said that the destruction was due to an earthquake but we have to prove that the earthquake was a MAJOR earthquake rather than only earthquake
Part 2:
The destruction was happened in A.D. 365.
According to GMAC, option B is the 100% correct answer.

Part 1:
(B) No coins minted after A.D. 365 were found in Kourion, but coins minted before that year were found in abundance.
The fragment 1: No coins minted after A.D. 365 were found in Kourion,
The fragment 2: but coins minted before that year were found in abundance.
That means: (B) The coins, which minted after A.D. 365, were NOT found in Kourion, but the coins, which minted before that year (exactly in A.D. 364), were found in abundance.
What does the bold part infer?
The bold part infers that if someone gets the coin, which was made after 365 (i.e., 366,367,368 to till date), will proof that the destruction was NOT happen in A.D.365. If you got any coin in which there is written A.D. 366 on the site of the coin, it'll definitely proof that the destruction was happened in any day of A.D. 366 (NOT 365 as it is considered after 365 by The fragment 1), if you got any coin in which there is written 2015 on the site of the coin, it must proof that the destruction was happen in any day of 2015 (NOT 2014 or before as it is considered by me The coins, which minted after 2014, were...) to till date today but not tomorrow :) !
So, the fragment 1 ensures that the city had been destroyed by earthquake as ONLY earthquake is discussed in the argument.

Again, problem in option B:
The option B is totally unable to proof that the earthquake was major (NOT minor!). Suppose, someone has got some coins after earthquake, the guy may have these coins for a MINOR earthquake, isn't it?
The argument did not give any indication that if the earthquake is in 8 Richter scale then the earthquake will be major earthquake. And there also should have at least one indication in answer option, which must imply that the earthquake was, of course, major earthquake. But option B hasn't indicated that sort of things.

Analogy: [......statement.....].
[Conclusion]Finally, scientists have hypothesized that the reward was given by the white American. If answer option proves that it is ONLY by 'American' or it is by 'black American', it'll definitely be wrong! The correct answer option must prove that it is ONLY by "White American".

Here, I just want to say that ''adjective'' plays a vital role in this regard.

Part 2:
(B) The coins, which minted after A.D. 365, were NOT found in Kourion, but the coins, which minted before that year (this doesn't mean EXACTLY in A.D. 364, it may be FIRST month of A.D. 364 and also LAST month of A.D. 364), were found in abundance.

Analogy: Suppose, the coins were made on January, 2015 (but ONLY year 2015 will be written NOT January 1st , 10th, 31st , 2015 will be written fully/completely on the site of the coin!) and the earthquake occurred on May 1st , 2015. Suppose, GMAC has got some coins on this earthquake today (February 4, 2017). So, the GMAC MUST NOT say that the earthquake was happened in 2018 (The year 2018 has not come yet!). So, the correct answer option B can???t prove that the destruction was happened in A.D. 365; it, basically, will happen in any day of A.D. 364.

So, if my logic is correct, then GMAC's right option is wrong! But, if my logic doesn't fit with this situation and/or doesn't make any sense, then I'm really sorry for creating excitement to all the students and expert of GMAT Club! :)

It appears that you are presuming that the question is about when the earthquake happened - it is not. It is already established that the earthquake happened in A.D.365. But whether the city was destroyed by that earthquake or by some other reason is the topic of the argument.

Kudos [?]: 3797 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 09:05
the ceremonail drinking vessals are used when there is a ceremony while the earthquake destroyed the town completely ther are little chances of the ceremony to have occured.

This answer choice makes clear that the destruction occured in 365 since no coins minted after the year were found and those minted before that year were found.

this choice also strengthens the argument but his choice is inferior to choice b as choice b presents clear evidence.

the 300-400 is a 100 year gap and does not points out the exact year of the earthquake and therfore not a good answer

this weakens the answer choice.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 19:29
Hi Bunuel,
Hope you are well. It seems that this question is seen in different places. So, I request you to merge this topics so that member of gmatclub easily find the topics in a particular place. Thank you...

Here is the link of this question in different places.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/excavation-o ... fl=similar
https://gmatclub.com/forum/excavation-o ... 79679.html

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Re: Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2017, 19:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 83 posts ] 

Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap