Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Fuqua
GMAT 2: 650
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: Executive MBA at Fuqua Vs. Full time at Fuqua or Kenan [#permalink]
Hi wishbone, I still feel as if you're trying to treat EMBA the same as MBA. Again, these are two different things (like apples and oranges) and there's really no such thing as "something else to push you over to FT" because there's no correlation. If you feel that EMBA can help you reach where you want to go (it does seem like it how you want to stay in the healthcare industry), go for the EMBA. If you want FT and switch to another industry, go for FT. Ultimately, this is something you will have to weigh out and do cost benefit analysis on. I guess another side question you should think about is "why you want this MBA?" Do you perceive yourself in a better position, better career, better job opportunity because you have this MBA?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes, I see what you are saying bakfed, the health sector management (HSM) is something that I feel will directly impact my career goals and my work, which offered through the EMBA is not directly offered at the FT program (you can take additional courses after you graduate at no additional tuition cost, but it is rolled directly in to your program as an EMBA).

I think that at the end of the day an MBA from Fuqua can only help me obtain my long term career goals eventually including a better position, more responsibility, and more opportunity. I think networking will be key in achieving these goals, and at Fuqua I think there will be a great amount of this, and the networks of fellow students will open a wide variety of doors for me.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Network is definitely one of the key perks for going to b-school, but understand that you'll benefit at a higher rate with network if you went for full time, rather than EMBA. Also, full time MBA also offers HSM and you're able to take the HSM classes to satisfy a couple of the regular MBA courses. At the end, you get your MBA and still get your HSM certificate. But also realize that network is really an ambiguous term. Your networking lifetime is really from business school to probably 2 or 3 years after you leave b-school. Once you're beyond this imaginery threshold, network doesn't really get you anywhere anymore. This is really due to the inactive relationship you will have with some of these friends from b-school. Just think back to your own experience from high school or college. I bet that you had a lot of friends in high school but you talk to only a fraction of them now. On top of that, how many would you actually call up and chit-chat about life? The truth of the matter is, not many of us will keep the same number of relationships we garner during school, and this is simply due to a lack of common ground. Same as b-school networks then. You may be going to Fuqua full time and make friends with all other 440 classmates. But once you graduate, you become more and more distant from some of them and five years down the road, chances are you'll only be interacting with 10 or 20 of them, and that's probably for New Years' greetings. Then looking down 10 years from now, would you still call up the other 380 students that you've known in b-school? Probably not, let alone to ask for a job opening. Network is really an ambiguous term and I really do think that it only exists for so long before that network is severed, whether you want it or not. So in the short run, chances are full-time MBA will get you more network, but don't count too hard on these networks once you're out of school for 5 years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
First, I don't think your WE qualifies you for an EMBA since those programs are geared for people with 10-15 years WE in a pretty high level position. Think full time Fuqua and KF or just part-time KF.

Second, I would concentrate on your GMAT, specifically on the Quant section and start building an alternative transcript (economics, calc retake, stats). Search the threads to find out how to do this.

Third, start coming over to Fuqua and KF to visit the program and meet the adcom. You live in the area so I would highly suggest that you take advantage of this. This puts a face to the name when they go over your application. Remember, both programs are concerned about their yield.

Fourth, find some ECs. You could start by looking at Duke's tech transfer office, joining the Duke Start Up challenge, mentoring kids in the area. Whatever it is, make sure it's some you truly enjoy and will give you the opportunity to show leadership and personal qualities.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for all the suggestions Mike, I will certainly look in to those.
GMAT Club Bot