GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 11:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Exit polls, conducted by an independent organization among voters at

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Board of Directors
D
Exit polls, conducted by an independent organization among voters at  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 04:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (01:32) correct 25% (01:36) wrong based on 190 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Exit polls, conducted by an independent organization among voters at five polling locations during a recent election, suggested that the incumbent mayor—a Democrat—was going to lose the election by a wide margin. But, in fact, by the time the final results were tabulated, the incumbent had won the election by a narrow margin.

Which of the following, if true, would explain the apparent contradiction in the results of the exit polls?

(A) The people chosen at random to be polled by the independent organization happened to be Democrats.

(B) The exit poll locations chosen by the independent organization were in predominantly Republican districts.

(C) The exit polls were conducted during the afternoon, when most of the districts’ younger voters, who did not support the incumbent mayor, were at work.

(D) The incumbent mayor ran on a platform that promised to lower taxes if elected.

(E) An earlier poll, conducted the week before the election, had predicted that the incumbent mayor would win.

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Exit polls, conducted by an independent organization among voters at  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 06:58
Exit polls suggest that the incumbent mayor, who is a democrat, will lose by a huge margin. But the mayor wins by a narrow margin. --> This is possible if the exit polls were conducted in an inconsistent manner and finding this inconsistency will help resolve the paradox.

(A) The people chosen at random to be polled by the independent organization happened to be Democrats. - Incorrect - This is an inconsistency but it widens the gap instead of resolving the paradox.

(B) The exit poll locations chosen by the independent organization were in predominantly Republican districts. - Correct - Since most of the surveyed members in the exit polls were Republican districts, the exit polls favored a Republican candidate. This inconsistency is what we are looking for.

(C) The exit polls were conducted during the afternoon, when most of the districts’ younger voters, who did not support the incumbent mayor, were at work. - Incorrect - Irrelevant

(D) The incumbent mayor ran on a platform that promised to lower taxes if elected. - Incorrect - Irrelevant

(E) An earlier poll, conducted the week before the election, had predicted that the incumbent mayor would win. - Incorrect - Out of context.

IMO answer is B.
Intern
Intern
Re: Exit polls, conducted by an independent organization among voters at  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 10:36
Ans is E. Others are out of context.
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: HEC Montreal '21
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2016, 10:59
Although i marked 'B', but that is only coz others were irrelevant. B does not answer the swing in defeat by a large no. of votes to a marginal win.
Board of Directors
D
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2016, 12:04
saurabhsavant wrote:
Although i marked 'B', but that is only coz others were irrelevant. B does not answer the swing in defeat by a large no. of votes to a marginal win.

IMHO (B) as well and I think we can spot the reason for that...

Quote:
Though the Exit Poll result suggest that Democrats would lose by a narrow margin , actually they won by a narrow margin.

The best reason for this contradiction will be to prove that the sample selected for the exit poll was itself faulty/biased.

Check, (B) does, exactly that..

Hence (B) answer the contradiction ...

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2019, 00:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Exit polls, conducted by an independent organization among voters at   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2019, 00:00

Exit polls, conducted by an independent organization among voters at

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics