Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tuck School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Kellogg, Ross, MIT
 Q50  V48
Send PM
Re: 570 to 720 [#permalink]
Wow, as you said, you put in the work and it paid off!

Quote:
Needless to say that getting a correct answer is what really matters, but preparation is best served when you divorce yourself from the feeling of achievement or any other emotional underpinning. Emotions typically activate our brain’s destructive powers, in that it begins to either think about the past or fantasizes about the future. I struggle with this on a daily basis and the challenge is to bring yourself to a point of indifference (almost like a mental equilibrium) where you show no emotion to a correct or an incorrect answer.

Wise words man. Sometimes studying is "easy" (straightforward, at least) compared to getting the mental part in order. Congrats.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1248 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Great show buddy!

I am on a similar track..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Wow! this is by far one of the best debriefs I have read. !

COngratulations on the great score. You inspire us to go ahead and crack this test!

Good luck in everything.

best,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Congratz. This is truly inspiring and I am glad all your hard work paid off.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GOSH! I am not alone in this world. I am neither genius nor a persistent person(before). I took GMAT 2 times already. I become allegic to the GMAT nowadays but i plan to retake it within 2 weeks. I am facing the same problem(cannot get the score as much as the simulated test) as you did but i am not yet past the conquering point. Your story is inspiring though.

I hope i have a chance to debrief as graciously as you do. :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1622 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Many Congratulations!!
Strategy, Persistence, Hard work (and staring at the bulb :wink: ) paid off. Very motivating read, and way to go buddy!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Send PM
great score . Seeing your GMAT challenge scores I am little nervous now.
I have taken 7 maths test so far and have not been able to cross 17 correct ones.
I have my exam scheduled for the 1st week of Jan.

Any suggestions to improve my qants scores in this type of tests.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Tania -

Keep practicing and believe me you will see improvement. And Do not worry about right or wrong....just make sure that you understand why you got them right or why you got them wrong.

Originally posted by TimePink2222 on 17 Dec 2009, 22:35.
Last edited by TimePink2222 on 28 Apr 2010, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
To vibhaj -

thank you for your kind words..I am sure everyone who is working on it will come through...it is about focused practice more than anything else.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
mxb908,

You deserve it! Congratulations!

Also you have my nomination vote for Most Valuable Improvement of the Year (MVI); very well rounded improvement.

Suggest GMATClub to think about starting such award(s) to encourage the persistence and resilience.

Personally I feel here are some wonderful take aways

The important difference this time was that I was focusing on the approach more than the correct answer. Needless to say that getting a correct answer is what really matters, but preparation is best served when you divorce yourself from the feeling of achievement or any other emotional underpinning. Emotions typically activate our brain’s destructive powers, in that it begins to either think about the past or fantasizes about the future. I struggle with this on a daily basis and the challenge is to bring yourself to a point of indifference (almost like a mental equilibrium) where you show no emotion to a correct or an incorrect answer. Instead the focus should be on trying to delve deep into the basics and understanding the underlying theory.

Anyways, I had recently read in a Science & Technology article on Economist (BTW, a great way to practice for RC, I would read all weekly S&T articles every week and I eventually started enjoying reading them) that doctors in the Scandinavian countries treat patients suffering from winter depression (since there is no sun then, some people are psychologically affected by it) by effectively asking them to stare at yellow light bulbs...so in the state of desperation I was in I put my face right next to the study lamps next to me and kept staring for close to 5 minutes and I think it helped me wake my brain up....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: experience [#permalink]
Brilliant!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: experience [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts