Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Experts Global Mock1 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Adi93,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function - and that you took your CATs in a realistic fashion - your 3 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 630 +/- a few points). I have a few questions about how you took your CATs:

1) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
2) Were the CATs in the old format or the new, shorter format?
3) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
4) Did you take them at home?
5) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
6) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
7) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Adi93,

In addition to your rich discussion with EMPOWERgmatRichC, I suggest the following:

1. As you have access to our software, please visit the tab "Tips and Study Plans" and watch the "How to use Experts' Global's GMAT software" video.

2. Choose a study plan for yourself.

3. Use the study resources in the software for taking your prep further, in an organized way.

4. Keep the last two weeks of the prep for doing all official material, including the official tests.

All the best!
Experts' Global

Adi93 wrote:
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply.
Below are replies for your questions.

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? I have started my preparation for a while now, but from last 3-4 months I'm preparing rigorously.

2) What study materials have you used so far? I have used e-GMAT Verbal online course, Power Score CR Bible, OG , OG VR, Veritas Tests and GMAT Club Tests coupled with the materials from GMAT Club.

3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? My Scores are ranging from 620-640 in Veritas Tests and 640 in the Expert Global Mock which I gave recently.

Goals:
4) What is your goal score? My Goal score is 750
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT? probably by June last week.
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School? I am targeting at applying for R1.
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to? Top B schools
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply.
Some how I missed your post so sorry for the delay in my response.

Below are my responses

1) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? In Veritas Mocks which I had given in older format I got Q47 and V 32 and in 3 Mocks which I gave recently from Experts Global My scores are 650 Q46 V34, 680 Q48 V34, 650 Q46 V34 respectively.
2) Were the CATs in the old format or the new, shorter format? the last 3 mocks were in new format.
3) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)? Yes but mostly skipped the IR Section and AWA section
4) Did you take them at home? Yes
5) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT? No, actually I havent decided yet about the Time slot for Actual Exam
6) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)? No, just the sectional breaks similar to the Actual exam.
7) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)? No.90% questions were new

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Adi93,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become - and it's possible that this has happened here. By skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, taking them at times that are probably different when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc., you have not been properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Test Day involves a variety of really specific steps and parameters (including steps before the Test even begins - such as leaving your home, traveling, etc.). Every factor matters, including the psychological ones. When you sit down on Test Day, you KNOW that you're going to be in the Computer Lab for about 3.5 hours - but if you're just taking individual sections (or taking a CAT without the Essay and IR sections), then you KNOW that you'll be done in 1-2 hours. The attitude and energy that you use during practice will NOT be a match for what you'll need on Test Day, so it's not a proper way to practice. Thankfully, these issues are all relatively easy to 'fix', but you have to put in the necessary effort to take your CATs in a more realistic way. You should plan to research the time slots that are typically available at the closest Testing Facility - and how long it would likely take to travel to that location.

For your next CAT, I strongly recommend that you take one of the Official GMAC CATs and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you think you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss those results.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the Suggestions Rich!

Sure Rich will do that and let you know about the score.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Adi93,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become - and it's possible that this has happened here. By skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, taking them at times that are probably different when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc., you have not been properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Test Day involves a variety of really specific steps and parameters (including steps before the Test even begins - such as leaving your home, traveling, etc.). Every factor matters, including the psychological ones. When you sit down on Test Day, you KNOW that you're going to be in the Computer Lab for about 3.5 hours - but if you're just taking individual sections (or taking a CAT without the Essay and IR sections), then you KNOW that you'll be done in 1-2 hours. The attitude and energy that you use during practice will NOT be a match for what you'll need on Test Day, so it's not a proper way to practice. Thankfully, these issues are all relatively easy to 'fix', but you have to put in the necessary effort to take your CATs in a more realistic way. You should plan to research the time slots that are typically available at the closest Testing Facility - and how long it would likely take to travel to that location.

For your next CAT, I strongly recommend that you take one of the Official GMAC CATs and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you think you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss those results.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot