Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [370]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [16]

Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [6]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [8]

Send PM
Re: Why You Should Use LSAT Tests for GMAT RC & CR [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Thank you for the kind words, Heseraj! And awesome to hear that you're putting so much effort into RC and CR.

The tough thing about CR and RC in general is that you can hit a plateau really quickly if you're struggling to decipher the language. Tons of practice over time will help, but it can be a long, slow process to get fundamentally better at fighting your way through that nasty LSAT language. So keep at it, and the language part of it will get better!

And if you end up feeling like your progress is slowing down, you might want to check out carcass's post in this thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/i-am-in-the- ... l#p1148290. There's some good general advice in there. :)

I'll also post some more general advice about how to approach RC in a Topic of the Week later this month. We talked about general approaches to RC quite a bit in our Wednesday verbal chat, and I'll put some of those ideas into a new thread. You might be too advanced for my basic advice at this point, Heseraj, but keep an eye out anyway, just in case.

And for whatever it's worth: if you can get to about 80% accuracy on the LSAT materials, you'll have a good shot at something around a 40 on GMAT verbal. So you're not too far off!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
Thank you for the kind words, Heseraj! And awesome to hear that you're putting so much effort into RC and CR.

The tough thing about CR and RC in general is that you can hit a plateau really quickly if you're struggling to decipher the language. Tons of practice over time will help, but it can be a long, slow process to get fundamentally better at fighting your way through that nasty LSAT language. So keep at it, and the language part of it will get better!

And if you end up feeling like your progress is slowing down, you might want to check out carcass's post in this thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/i-am-in-the- ... l#p1148290. There's some good general advice in there. :)

I'll also post some more general advice about how to approach RC in a Topic of the Week later this month. We talked about general approaches to RC quite a bit in our Wednesday verbal chat, and I'll put some of those ideas into a new thread. You might be too advanced for my basic advice at this point, Heseraj, but keep an eye out anyway, just in case.

And for whatever it's worth: if you can get to about 80% accuracy on the LSAT materials, you'll have a good shot at something around a 40 on GMAT verbal. So you're not too far off!

Thank you very much for the advice. I also read the passage shared by Caracas. It is absolutely right. My path though not easy is not impossible either.
Those comments might be OK for the majority of applicants but perhaps too much for a candidate like me who had to learn everything by himself specially about GMAT. For me, every night is a learning process and every question is another opportunity to learn something new. In fact, i spent 10 minutes solving the passage but more than half hour analyzing my responses, both those that i got right and those that i missed.

Lets see what happens. I will write to you once i needed more focused advice and resources to use.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Olin '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
Thanks so much for your sharing. Currently im solving 116 LSAT passage. Is it official lsat?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Are you talking about the 116 LSAT passages word document that's been floating around the internet for a few years? It's not an official LSAT book, and I'm not sure if the passages in there are 100% official, or a mix of official and non-official passages. You can always google the passages to see if they appear anywhere as official passages. And if you're not sure, then maybe an official LSAT book is worth the investment...?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
GMATNinja wrote:
Are you talking about the 116 LSAT passages word document that's been floating around the internet for a few years? It's not an official LSAT book, and I'm not sure if the passages in there are 100% official, or a mix of official and non-official passages. You can always google the passages to see if they appear anywhere as official passages. And if you're not sure, then maybe an official LSAT book is worth the investment...?

I do have exam 62 to 72 and two books for its explanation. However, i am willing to purchase ten more exams. Which one do you suggest? The ones i purchased are shared below:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19279 ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19279 ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09860 ... UTF8&psc=1

Respect.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Pretty much all of the "10 LSAT PrepTests" books are the same. I guess I'd mildly recommend one of the slightly older ones, since they don't include those comparative reading RC passages -- so anything before PrepTest #60 or so. The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests is my default (tests #29-38), but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Out of curiosity, are you finding those LSAT Hacks explanations useful?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
Pretty much all of the "10 LSAT PrepTests" books are the same. I guess I'd mildly recommend one of the slightly older ones, since they don't include those comparative reading RC passages -- so anything before PrepTest #60 or so. The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests is my default (tests #29-38), but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Well, i might not exactly understand the point of your question. But i can say yes. Why? Because, at least, i can compare my line of thinking with that of another one. Even if i learn one single point from those books, it will be good.

In the meantime, i am open and really appreciate if you could refer me to some good resources.
I also purchased three books for verbal (SC, RC and CR) from Powerscore, the three of which i found very helpful specially critical reasoning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
Heseraj wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

Well, i might not exactly understand the point of your question. But i can say yes. Why? Because, at least, i can compare my line of thinking with that of another one. Even if i learn one single point from those books, it will be good.

In the meantime, i am open and really appreciate if you could refer me to some good resources.
I also purchased three books for verbal (SC, RC and CR) from Powerscore, the three of which i found very helpful specially critical reasoning.

Hello,
It's very inspiring to see that somebody Works hard too.
Which powerscore books did you buy? For GMAT or LSAT? If you bought the GMAT books, are they enought to work on the LSAT tests? Or should i buy the LSAT Powerscore books right from the beggining?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [1]
Given Kudos: 275
Kudos
So is it true that you become a verbal Ninja after solving LSAT questions?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [9]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shiv2016 wrote:

Well, my wife became an unhappy attorney after solving LSAT questions... :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Shiv2016 wrote:

Well, my wife became an unhappy attorney after solving LSAT questions... :lol:

GmatNinja, as per below link someone mentioned that not all CR LSAT questions are applicable for GMAT. Do you have boundaries/ suggestion which CR and RC question we need to practice for the GMAT.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/lsat-gmat-16 ... fl=similar

I also found out that in LSAT RC the students are using VIEWSTAMP (View, Structure, Tone, Argument, Main Point, Primary Purpose)methods. But it seems there are no such discussion for this method in the Gmatclub, Are this method in your opinion applicable to GMAT?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
Hi GmatNinja ,

Its really helpful ...I am not doing LSAT question explicitly but there are a lot of good CR question floating in this forum.I found that difficult than GMAT CR .
what i observed is LSAT CR (Strengthen /assumption ) requires multilevel thinking to reach a particular point.unlike in GMAT CR (mostly), the answer will be exactly to the point (may be convoluted by wordings)...and if a answer choice requires multilevel thinking that answer choice is mostly wrong in GMAT .
just was curious to know, would LSAT question hamper the thinking process required in GMAT CR or just i am thinking too much
Thanks.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RUSDI wrote:
GmatNinja, as per below link someone mentioned that not all CR LSAT questions are applicable for GMAT. Do you have boundaries/ suggestion which CR and RC question we need to practice for the GMAT.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/lsat-gmat-16 ... fl=similar

Good question! I think it depends on what you're trying to accomplish by doing LSATs.

For test-takers who are already doing well on CR and RC and want a super-elite GMAT verbal score (mid-40s), I think that the LSAT is fantastic, just because it's really going to challenge your ability to power your way through miserably dense language. Sure, there are differences between LSAT and GMAT questions, but those differences aren't all THAT huge: the bottom line is that both will test the precision of your reading and logic. If you're already doing well on verbal and you're just fighting for every last inch, the differences between the LSAT and GMAT aren't terribly significant, and there's no reason to omit any particular LSAT question types. (See reason #3, above.)

If you're struggling a little bit more on verbal, I think LSATs can still be good, mostly because the language is really really hard, so it's a great "reading workout" if that's what you need. But I think the differences between LSAT and GMAT start to matter more if you're not already super-advanced, or if you're struggling with the logic of the questions more than you're struggling with the precision of your reading. The parallel reasoning questions can be absolutely brutal if you're not used to them, so it's not a big deal if you want to skip those, since they don't appear very often on the GMAT. Also not a big deal if you want to skip some of the LSAT questions that rely heavily on formal legal-sounding language -- sure, those might help you in the long run with GMAT boldfaced CRs, but you don't strictly NEED to do them.

In general, we assign full LSAT sections to nearly all of our students, since most of them are fighting hard for scores in the mid-700s. But that may or may not be the right thing for you. And if most of your errors are coming on question styles that don't generally appear on the GMAT, that's probably perfectly fine.

RUSDI wrote:
I also found out that in LSAT RC the students are using VIEWSTAMP (View, Structure, Tone, Argument, Main Point, Primary Purpose)methods. But it seems there are no such discussion for this method in the Gmatclub, Are this method in your opinion applicable to GMAT?

I don't use that particular acronym (which comes, I believe, from PowerScore), but I basically advocate similar methods here, just in a more stripped-down way: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41004.html.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sobby wrote:
Hi GmatNinja ,

Its really helpful ...I am not doing LSAT question explicitly but there are a lot of good CR question floating in this forum.I found that difficult than GMAT CR .
what i observed is LSAT CR (Strengthen /assumption ) requires multilevel thinking to reach a particular point.unlike in GMAT CR (mostly), the answer will be exactly to the point (may be convoluted by wordings)...and if a answer choice requires multilevel thinking that answer choice is mostly wrong in GMAT .
just was curious to know, would LSAT question hamper the thinking process required in GMAT CR or just i am thinking too much
Thanks.

I have no reason to think that doing LSATs would ever actually hamper your thinking process on the GMAT. The fundamental logic is still the same. Sure, you could argue that LSAT questions tend to be a little bit more complex on average (especially those parallel reasoning questions -- they're nasty), but the LSAT isn't going to teach you anything that would somehow be wrong on the GMAT. So I wouldn't worry about that. It's just a question of whether you really need LSATs. If the GMAT materials are enough to get you to your goals, awesome!

I do think that LSAT and GMAT questions can feel really different, though. The LSAT loves more abstract, deductive logic, and the LSAT has more legal and philosophical topics. The GMAT loves to give you passages that are more aligned with things you'd discuss in the real world, such as economics or business or politics. So if you end up using the LSAT, it's always wise to do more GMAT questions as you get closer to your actual exam, just so you don't find the GMAT questions jarring. For most people, the GMAT will just feel MUCH easier after you've done a bunch of LSATs. But still, it's always good to make sure that you're re-calibrated to the GMAT by test day.

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
For more on the LSAT, check out this fantastic thread from a few years ago: https://gmatclub.com/forum/lsat-books-f ... 97191.html

Hi,

I wanted to check if threre is any free source for LSAT RC passages..with explanations?

Thanks in advance!

Shinrai
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [5]

Send PM
Kudos