Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Assumptionx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
ThatDudeKnows MartyTargetTestPrep pls explain choice C and why it is wrong. If costs were not a factor and they still preferred it, means their export would increase if say, the costs were taken into consideration as well, because we now know that prices have become cheaper so of course if they take prices into consideration now, they will tend to but it even more. Not sure why it is wrong.

Additionally 'if cost were not a factor' means that if costs did not matter irrespective of costs being high, low or same. However, I am not sure why have the explanations by experts are saying it means " if costs were equal"

As you suggested, "if costs were not a factor" does not mean exactly the same thing as "if costs were equal." It means, "if costs did not matter," possibly because they were equal but also possibly because they were insignificant or for some other reason.

Still, (C) isn't correct because the argument works fine even if (C) isn't true, and here's why.

The argument has already provided support for the conclusion that exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. That support is that United States wood pulp will be cheaper than other wood pulp for paper manufacturers.

Now, here's (C).

(C) Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor.

Notice that (C) provides an additional reason why exports of United States wood pulp will rise: manufacturers prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States.

The thing is that the argument doesn't need this additional reason to work. It doesn't need what you termed "even more." The evidence provided supports the conclusion without this additional reason. So, (C) is not an assumption upon which the argument relies.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Re: Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
ThatDudeKnows MartyTargetTestPrep pls explain choice C and why it is wrong. If costs were not a factor and they still preferred it, means their export would increase if say, the costs were taken into consideration as well, because we now know that prices have become cheaper so of course if they take prices into consideration now, they will tend to buy it even more and this is necessary for the conclusion. Not sure why it is wrong.

Additionally 'if cost were not a factor' means that if costs did not matter irrespective of costs being high, low or same. However, I am not sure why have the explanations by experts are saying it means " if costs were equal"

Also can we use choice C to infer anything about what would haappen if costs were a factor: like they would buy more in that case?

Two arguments against C:

First, by analogy:
I live in Miami and would prefer to eat dinner at my favorite, very expensive, restaurant in Los Angeles every night if cost were not an issue.
Let's say I win the lottery. Will I eat dinner at my favorite restaurant in Los Angeles every night? No. My daughter still has school in Miami. So the assumption that I would prefer to eat there every evening has no impact on whether I actually will.

Second, by direct counter argument:
It's entirely possible that Japanese and European customers prefer to use pulp produced in Finland, not the US, if cost were not a factor. But maybe Finnish pulp is crazy expensive this year because of a recent rash of polar bear attacks slowing production, so Japanese and European customers will buy American this year. We just negated the assumption and still got to the conclusion. Oops, there went answer choice C!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
marshpa wrote:
Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source.

Which of the following is an assumption made in drawing the conclusion above?

(A) Factory output of paper products in Japan and Western Europe will increase sharply during this year.
(B) The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers.
(C) Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor.
(D) Demand for paper products made in Japan and Western Europe will not increase sharply during this year.
(E) Production of wood pulp by United States companies will not increase sharply during this year.

I am not convinced with OA for this question..

Responding to a pm:
The correct answer is (B).
Why not (C)? Because (C) is a sufficient condition for the conclusion to be true while (B) is a necessary condition for the conclusion to be true. An assumption is a necessary premise for the conclusion so (B) is the correct option.

To elaborate:

Premises:
- Dollar is falling.
- It will be cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source.

Conclusion:
- Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year.

The conclusion is linking 'Sale of pulp' to 'Cost of pulp'. It says since the cost will be lower, it will sell. We are assuming here that the American pulp is adequate in all other qualities that you look for while buying. Or that lower cost is all that matters while buying something.

Option (B) says that the quality is adequate and hence is an assumption. Notice that it is necessary for our conclusion. If the quality is not adequate, no matter what the cost, US pulp sale may not increase.

Option (C) says that Japanese and Europeans prefer to use US pulp if cost does not matter. Do we NEED this to be true? No. It is good if it is true because it means that if cost of US pulp goes down, US pulp will sell more (hence, it is sufficient for the conclusion to be true - assuming all else stays constant). But do we NEED them to prefer US pulp? No. It is not necessary for our conclusion to be true.

Beware of this difference between 'necessary' and 'sufficient' conditions. Remember that assumptions are NECESSARY conditions, they don't need to be sufficient. We end up incorrectly choosing sufficient because they cover a wider range. If sufficient is true, then conclusion has to be true. But mind you, that is not the question. THe question is looking for a necessary condition, not for a sufficient condition.

Check out another question on the same logic:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/since-mayor-d ... sufficient

and watch out for my this week's post. I will discuss this on my blog Quarter Wit Quarter Wisdom.

Hey KarishmaB,

I am having hard time understanding this logic. If other variables (complementing our sufficient condition) are at play as well, why will the export suddenly increase? For example, if US quality was preferred, it was preferred before devaluation as well, the only factor that will change is cost. So, this dynamic is captured better in option C. What am I missing?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
vshr wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
marshpa wrote:
Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source.

(A) Factory output of paper products in Japan and Western Europe will increase sharply during this year.
(B) The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers.
(D) Demand for paper products made in Japan and Western Europe will not increase sharply during this year.
(E) Production of wood pulp by United States companies will not increase sharply during this year.

I am not convinced with OA for this question..

Responding to a pm:
The correct answer is (B).
Why not (C)? Because (C) is a sufficient condition for the conclusion to be true while (B) is a necessary condition for the conclusion to be true. An assumption is a necessary premise for the conclusion so (B) is the correct option.

To elaborate:

Premises:
- Dollar is falling.
- It will be cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source.

Conclusion:
- Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year.

The conclusion is linking 'Sale of pulp' to 'Cost of pulp'. It says since the cost will be lower, it will sell. We are assuming here that the American pulp is adequate in all other qualities that you look for while buying. Or that lower cost is all that matters while buying something.

Option (B) says that the quality is adequate and hence is an assumption. Notice that it is necessary for our conclusion. If the quality is not adequate, no matter what the cost, US pulp sale may not increase.

Option (C) says that Japanese and Europeans prefer to use US pulp if cost does not matter. Do we NEED this to be true? No. It is good if it is true because it means that if cost of US pulp goes down, US pulp will sell more (hence, it is sufficient for the conclusion to be true - assuming all else stays constant). But do we NEED them to prefer US pulp? No. It is not necessary for our conclusion to be true.

Beware of this difference between 'necessary' and 'sufficient' conditions. Remember that assumptions are NECESSARY conditions, they don't need to be sufficient. We end up incorrectly choosing sufficient because they cover a wider range. If sufficient is true, then conclusion has to be true. But mind you, that is not the question. THe question is looking for a necessary condition, not for a sufficient condition.

Check out another question on the same logic:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/since-mayor- ... sufficient

and watch out for my this week's post. I will discuss this on my blog Quarter Wit Quarter Wisdom.

Hey KarishmaB,

I am having hard time understanding this logic. If other variables (complementing our sufficient condition) are at play as well, why will the export suddenly increase? For example, if US quality was preferred, it was preferred before devaluation as well, the only factor that will change is cost. So, this dynamic is captured better in option C. What am I missing?

Yes, option (C) does lead to the conclusion but is it what the question is asking you for? What the question wants to know is the assumption the author has made, not what will make the conclusion true.

An assumption needs to be true for the conclusion to stand. A sufficient condition does not NEED to be true for the conclusion. So a sufficient condition is not an assumption.

Take a simpler example:

Sana buys and eats an apple everyday.
Cost of US apples is falling and they will be cheaper than all other apples soon.

Conclusion: Sana will start consuming US apples soon.

What am I assuming? That Sana finds the taste of US apples acceptable. What if she doesn't find them acceptable? Will she start consuming them? Unlikely.
Now think about it - for my conclusion to hold, do I NEED that Sana prefers the taste of US apples over all others? No. It is good for my conclusion if this is the case but is it NECESSARY? No. Even if she doesn't prefer their taste over all others, she may still buy them if their cost is lowest and their taste acceptable.
The point is, we need to focus on what the question is looking for. The question wants an "assumption" made by the author.

Check out this blog post too: https://anaprep.com/critical-reasoning- ... open-mind/

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 31 May 2022, 03:05.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 08 Aug 2023, 02:53, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
I chose Option C. Now I know I was wrong. But I had a tough time eliminating it even after reading a few explanations.
Then I remembered having been given to understand that "The correct assumption is supposed to bring in new information." Can Option C be rejected on this basis that it does not bring in any new information, as the argument already says that the exports will go up since wood pulp will now become cheaper? And along the same lines, Option B brings in new information about adequacy of quality?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
KarishmaB

Could you please help me here?

exports (Wood pulp made in US) --> Increase ---> Because (fall in dollar value) --> cheaper wood pulp source for Japan and W.Eur (than any other)

This seems to be the most popular answer, and I admit, before I read option C, I thought this was the correct answer too

(C) Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor
This says Japan and W.Eur prefer to buy wood pulp made in US if cost was not a factor.
In other words, it does not matter if quality was good or not, if the cost is low (given that cost is not a factor), Japan and W.Eur will prefer wood pulp made in US over other sources
As per the wording of this answer choice, it is implied that Japan and West Europe prefer to buy wood pulp from US but could not do so because of cost

or let me say it like this - which one of the two appears more logical -

Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source. Furthermore - Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor

or

Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source. Furthermore - The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheBipedalHorse wrote:
KarishmaB

Could you please help me here?

exports (Wood pulp made in US) --> Increase ---> Because (fall in dollar value) --> cheaper wood pulp source for Japan and W.Eur (than any other)

This seems to be the most popular answer, and I admit, before I read option C, I thought this was the correct answer too

(C) Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor
This says Japan and W.Eur prefer to buy wood pulp made in US if cost was not a factor.
In other words, it does not matter if quality was good or not, if the cost is low (given that cost is not a factor), Japan and W.Eur will prefer wood pulp made in US over other sources
As per the wording of this answer choice, it is implied that Japan and West Europe prefer to buy wood pulp from US but could not do so because of cost

or let me say it like this - which one of the two appears more logical -

Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source. Furthermore - Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor

or

Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source. Furthermore - The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers

Sure, (C) is better than (B) but not as an assumption. We need to focus on what the question is asking, not what is best for our conclusion. As an extreme case, if the question asks for something that weakens the conclusion, we will not pick an option that strengthens it, no matter how good it is.
Here, we need an assumption, something that needs to be true, not something that if true, leads to the conclusion. There is a difference between the two.

Option (B) is necessary for the conclusion while option (C) is sufficient for the conclusion. Option (B) is an assumption while (C) leads to the conclusion (a sufficient assumption tested in LSAT)

This is an advanced question and that is the reason. Note that there is no "good" vs "better" answer in CR. There is only one correct answer in CR.

Consider a simple case:

Given more time, she will improve her GMAT score.

What is my assumption? That she has the capability to improve her score.
Am I assuming that she is very smart? No. I don't need to ASSUME that for my conclusion to hold. As long as she has the capability, it is certainly possible that she will improve her score. If she doesn't have the capability then she cannot improve her score. This is what an assumption is. If it is false, it breaks the conclusion.
Do I need her to be very smart? Can she not improve her score if she is not very smart? That is not the case. She can improve her score even if she is not VERY smart as long as she has the capability to improve.

It's the same logic here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
marshpa wrote:

CR69561.01

What if the price of the American wood pulp is cheaper because of the fall in dollar's value but the quality of the American wood pulp is inadequate, poor, or bad?

Will the other nations buy the cheap American wood pulp even though its quality is not up to the mark?
The answer is a clear no.

Basically, what's the use of cheap price if the quality is bad?

Keep B.

(A) Factory output of paper products in Japan and Western Europe will increase sharply during this year. This is out of scope.

Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. This is the right scope.

C is gone because Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor.
But, the cost - the falling dollar - is a factor.

D is eliminated because if the demand for paper products made in Japan and Western Europe will not increase sharply during this year then how will the US have considerably high exports this year?

E says that the production of wood pulp by United States companies will not increase sharply during this year.

Whether the production will increase or decrease sharply, the question clearly states that Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year.

B is the answer.

I hope I'm crystal - clear 🙏

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts