It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 11:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 2674 [0], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 15:17
Top Contributor
Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as cleaners or pesticides causes allergic reactions in some children. Elementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years. Therefore, either Renston’s schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
A. The number of school nurses employed by Renston’s elementary schools has not decreased over the past ten years.
B. Children who are allergic to the chemicals are no more likely than other children to have allergies to other substances.
C. Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago.
D. The chemicals are not commonly used as cleaners or pesticides in houses and apartment buildings in Renston.
E. Children attending elementary school do not make up a larger proportion of Renston’s population now than they did ten years ago

The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Critical Reasoning
Question No.: 637

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Last edited by Vyshak on 11 Jun 2017, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Merged. Search before posting.

Kudos [?]: 2674 [0], given: 220

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1581 [0], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 16:26
Deba2017 wrote:
In the passage it says :

Elementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years.

In Option C : Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago.

As per option C , less number of children reporting to nurses now compared to the number of reporting 10 years back , so obviously rate of reporting should be decreased. But the passage depicts opposite picture.

Please explain.

Thanks chiragmishra93 for the explanation!

According to the argument, the increase in the proportion of schoolchildren sent to the elementary school nurses is due to either greater exposure to the chemicals or a greater sensitivity to the chemicals. But what if children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals ARE more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago? That could explain the increase in the proportion of schoolchildren sent to the elementary school nurses, even if students' exposure and sensitivity to the chemicals has not changed.

Thus, in order for the argument to hold, the author must assume that children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are NOT more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago. Choice (C) is the correct answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 16:28
And I just realized notice that it was your very first post, chiragmishra93. Welcome to GMAT Club!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 02:52
joemama142000 wrote:
Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as cleaners or pesticides causes allergic reactions in some children. Elementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years. Therefore, either Renston's schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago.

(A) The number of school nurses employed by Renston's elementary schools has not decreased over the past ten years.
(B) Children who are allergic to the chemicals are no more likely than other children to have allergies to other substances.
(C) Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago.
(D) The chemicals are not commonly used as cleaners or pesticides in houses and apartment buildings in Renston.
(E) Children attending elementary school do not make up a larger proportion of Renston's population now than they did ten years ago.

OG2017, CR635, P536

for most cr questions, except bold faced, and inference ones, alway begin by criticizing the argument.

criticizing by: asking
whether the logic of argument is good
whether the evidence is distorted (whether the evidence is representative)

if evidence is not good, the argument fall apart. the answer choice support or weaken the factor affecting evidence will be strengthening or weakening the argument

choice C show that the evidence is not distorted, is representative, is good. and is the answer choice

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 314

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 06:49
This post received
KUDOS
i picked E , but E is not that relevant and it does not bridge the gap between premise and the conclusion. E only talks about proportion.

C bridges that the gap and is the correct answer.

in straight words, the author assumes that the trend is normal .

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 314

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 03:44
(C) Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago. > Assumption negation technique. Assuming children are more likely to be sent to school nurse today, this attacks the basis of conclusion that it is a result of greater quantities or greater sensitivity compared to school children 10 years ago.

All other answers are irrelevant :
(A) Number of nurses employed - Irrelevant; we are dealing with proportion of schoolchildren;
(B) Other substances - Irrelevant
(D) where chemicals are used - Irrelevant
(E) Overall population of children attending - Irrelevant as we are only dealing with proportions; ie those who are reported to be treated

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 826

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 04:32
joemama142000 wrote:
Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as cleaners or pesticides causes allergic reactions in some children. Elementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years. Therefore, either Renston's schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago.

(A) The number of school nurses employed by Renston's elementary schools has not decreased over the past ten years.
(B) Children who are allergic to the chemicals are no more likely than other children to have allergies to other substances.
(C) Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago.
(D) The chemicals are not commonly used as cleaners or pesticides in houses and apartment buildings in Renston.
(E) Children attending elementary school do not make up a larger proportion of Renston's population now than they did ten years ago.

OG2017, CR635, P536

Hi IanStewart

Here's another one for you, and really thankyou for thelast reply.
Consider this...

If the stimulus was worded as..

"the proportion of children, on average, sent to the nurses has steadily increased"

would this mean that the proportion of children per nurse has increased? If this is the case, then option A would be correct isnt it?

As per my understanding, the original question states that "collectively, the proportion of children that comes nurses for allergic treatments has overall increased". this would mean that even if the total number of nurses have decreased, the collective proportion of children that comes to the nurse is for allergic treatments has increased. For example, 40% of total school children used to come to 30 nurses. Now 50% of total school children comes to 20 nurses. In this question, we have nothing to do about "the average proportion of school children per nurse". Is my reasoning correct? Also please answer my question I asked earlier in this post. Please also tell, if the intended meaning was "proportion per nurse", then what kind of wordings could have been used?

Thanks a lot.

Posted from my mobile device

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 826

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 11:19

- We're dealing with PROPORTIONS (not absolute #s), and also, we're concerned with SCHOOLCHILDREN, NOT NURSES.

- Out of scope. Who cares about other allergies?

- Children are MORE likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were 10 years ago? Destroys the idea that schoolchildren are exposed to greater quantity of chemicals...also destroys the idea that they're more "sensitive" than schoolchildren were before. They're just more likely to be sent to nurses now than before.

- OPPOSITE. Chemicals are more commonly used, so schoolchildren are being exposed to it more often at home, right? Doesn't that mean that schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals? Yes...and that's what is explicitly written in the Conclusion. Remember, when we NEGATE A/C, we need to DESTROY the Conclusion.

- Out of scope. Who cares what the proportion of schoolchildren to overall population is?

This was tricky. Hopefully you can see why the Ans is C. Kudos please if you find this helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 18:44
I think option A is incorrect because it says it has not decreased but that does not mean that the number of nurses have increased, it can be the case that the number has remained constant and if that is so, then number of children cannot go up.

Correct me if my logic to eliminate option A was incorrect. Thank you

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2017, 18:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   [ 109 posts ] 

Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap