Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Assumptionx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 556 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
GMATNinja EducationAisle what is the meaning of "the proportion of students"? Furthermore, if we had an option stating that the number of students in the school has significantly increased. Would it have a negative impact on the argument?

10 years back:
Total Number of schoolchildren sent to Elementary school nurses = 100
Number of schoolchildren sent to Elementary school nurses for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals = 10

So, proportion of schoolchildren sent to Elementary school nurses for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals = 1 in 10.

Now:
Total Number of schoolchildren sent to Elementary school nurses = 100
Number of schoolchildren sent to Elementary school nurses for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals = 20

So, proportion of schoolchildren sent to Elementary school nurses for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals = 1 in 5.

This is meant by increase in proportion of schoolchildren sent to Elementary school nurses for treatment of allergic reactions.

Since the argument are talking about "proportion" (percentage), the absolute "number" does not matter.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mansha1412 wrote:
Thank you for such a prompt response. I get the example you wrote but I am still not convinced that how Option C is correct for the question that I have asked. Could you please explain that as well with respect to the contradictory part that I have mentioned in my post. That would be really helpful.

In this argument the premise is: the proportion of schoolchildren sent to school nurses for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years.

For the above premise, the argument says that the possible explanations are either of the following:

(X) Renston's schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or
(Y) they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago.

But then, for the above premise, a third possible explanation can be:

(Z) Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago (the way in my previous example, teachers were more lenient in marking now than was the case 10 years ago).

However, since the argument is concluding that (X) or (Y) are the possible reasons, the assumption is that (Z) is not the reason (the way in my previous example, the assumption was teachers were not more lenient in marking now than was the case 10 years ago).

This is exactly what C states.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
MihirTandon wrote:
Quote:
Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as cleaners or pesticides causes allergic reactions in some children.

The passage is clearly mentioning that exposure leads to allergic reactions.

And Statement C is saying that
Quote:
Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago.

Then how can this be said that it is leading to a separate reason and this statement is correct.

Kindly explain in more simple words or with example if possible.GMATNinjaKarishmaB

Observation: More and more children are being sent to the school nurses because of allergic reactions due to cleaning chemicals over the past ten years.

Conclusion: Either more chemicals are getting used or children are becoming more sensitive.

We are concluding that the cause of the observation is one of these two only. When we say that one of these two is the cause, we are assuming that nothing else is the cause of the observation (that more children are being sent to nurses for allergy).
So we are assuming that nothing else is the cause.

But there is another cause one can think of - what if the teachers are the ones getting more sensitive i.e. what if they are observing children more carefully? What if they are sending children to the nurses upon observing a tiny amount of allergy? What if because of this the children who get an allergic reaction today are more likely to be sent to the nurses than were the children 10 years ago. What if 10 years ago, the teachers did not bother that much until and unless they saw a case of full blown allergy?
That could be another reason why more children are being sent to the nurses now.

Note that the argument doesn't say that more children are getting allergic reactions. It very carefully says that more children are getting sent to the nurses (sneaky GMAT way)

(C) Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago.

This is an assumption as we discussed above. For our conclusion to hold that only one of those two causes is possible, we are assuming that children who get allergic reactions are not more likely to be sent today than they were 10 years ago.

Answer (C)

Check out this post on assumptions: https://anaprep.com/critical-reasoning- ... ssumption/
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vibhatu wrote:
I still don’t understand why the answer is not E. Suppose natural rate of children contact with the chemical is same as it was 10 years ago but population is larger. Mathematically it is possible. Can you please explain ??

As you suggest, if the number of elementary school children got bigger, and the rate of exposure to chemicals stayed the same, you'd probably expect more children to be sent to the nurse for treatment.

Notice, however, that (E) doesn't claim that the number of elementary school children stayed the same. Rather, it tells us they do not make up a larger proportion than they did ten years ago. This really isn't necessary to assume. Notice that the number of elementary school children could stay the same even if the proportion changed (depending on the number of non-elementary school people in the town). For this reason, (E) doesn't really relate to the conclusion.

From another angle: notice that the evidence supporting the conclusion doesn't claim that the NUMBER of school children sent to the nurse for treatment increased. Rather, it claims that the "proportion" increased. So even IF the number of elementary school children increased, this wouldn't explain why the proportion being sent to the nurse for treatment increased.

So we wouldn't really need to assume that the number of elementary school children stayed the same (though again, answer choice (E) is talking about the proportion of the town that are elementary school children, not the total number of elementary school children).

Since (E) isn't required to draw the conclusion, it isn't an assumption on which the argument depends, which makes it incorrect.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as [#permalink]
Kudos
Gmatguy007 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
The author concludes that one of two things has happened over the past ten years: either 1) Renston’s schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or 2) they are more sensitive to the chemicals than schoolchildren were ten years ago. How does the author arrive at this conclusion?

• We are given that exposure to cleaners and pesticides commonly used in schools can cause allergic reactions in some children.
  • Over the past ten years, the proportion of schoolchildren sent to school nurses for allergic reactions to THOSE chemicals has increased significantly.

The author states two possible explanations for this increase, but are those the only options? The author's explanation will only hold up if one of the following is assumed:

Quote:
(A) The number of school nurses employed by Renston's elementary schools has not decreased over the past ten years.

A change to the number of nurses doesn't impact the number of students sent to see the nurses, so (A) can be eliminated.

Quote:
(B) Children who are allergic to the chemicals are no more likely than other children to have allergies to other substances.

We are not concerned with allergies to other substances. Regardless of whether children allergic to the chemicals are more likely to have allergies to other substances, we still need to explain why more students are now sent to the nurses because of reactions to THOSE chemicals. The two theories in the conclusion are only meant to explain the increase in the number of schoolchildren sent to the nurses because of THOSE chemicals, so choice (B) is irrelevant.

Quote:
(C) Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago.

According to the argument, the increase in the proportion of schoolchildren sent to the elementary school nurses is due to either greater exposure to the chemicals or a greater sensitivity to the chemicals. But what if children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago? Maybe the amount and severity of the allergic reactions was the same ten years ago but students were simply less likely to be sent to the nurse back then. Maybe ten years ago the teachers simply let the suffering students remain in class with watery eyes and running noses (for example).

That could explain the increase in the proportion of schoolchildren sent to the elementary school nurses, even if students' exposure and sensitivity to the chemicals has not changed. In order for the argument to hold, the author must assume that children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are NOT more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago. Choice (C) looks good.

Quote:
 (D) The chemicals are not commonly used as cleaners or pesticides in houses and apartment buildings in Renston.

Perhaps the cleaners ARE commonly used in houses and apartments, but we don't care about WHERE the students were exposed to the chemicals. If exposure has increased, whether at school or at home, then the author's argument would be valid. The author does not say that exposure has increased AT THE SCHOOLS, so choice (D) can be eliminated.

Quote:
 (E) Children attending elementary school do not make up a larger proportion of Renston's population now than they did ten years ago.

We are trying to explain an increase in the PROPORTION of students sent to the nurses, not an increase in the TOTAL NUMBER of students sent to the nurses. Thus, an increase in the number of students or the proportion of the population attending elementary schools does not matter. We need to explain the increase in the PROPORTION sent to the nurses for those allergic reactions. Choice (E) is not a required assumption and can be eliminated.

Choice (C) is the best answer.

­
GMATNinja firstly many kudos for your explanations, are always so informative!!

After reading your post I understood the reasoning for choosing (C), but I'd like your guidance to also clearly spot my mistake.

I chose (A) since I thought that the proportion we discuss is number of students with allergic reaction in this chemical to the number of nurses. Given from the question stem that the number of students sent to the hospital rises, based on the first choice, the number of nurses has either increased or remain stable. In the first case, the proportion will increase which answer our question and in the second one there would be no increase in the proportion so it's out of scope.

What am I missing?

Can anyone chip in? GMATCoachBen avigutman Bunuel chetan2u

Thanks in advance ! :blushing:
 ­

­Hi Gmatguy007,

Perhaps I can chip in here. 

There are a couple of points to discuss.
Quote:
1 - "I chose (A) since I thought that the proportion we discuss is number of students with allergic reaction in this chemical to the number of nurses."

I am afraid you misunderstood what the given proportion is when you solved this one!

Let's deep dive into the pertinent sentence.

"Elementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years."

What the proportion is talking about -> Out of the schoolchildren sent to the nurses overall, how many were sent to the nurses for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals.

This is ( Number of children sent to nurses for treatment of allergies related to those chemicals / Number of children sent to nurses for treatment overall (including other reasons like stomach ache) )

This is not ( Number of students with allergic reactions / Number of nurses ). Number of nurses is nowhere in the picture here!

A quick example of proportion: If I say that the proportion of children sent to the principal's office for misbehavior increased, it means -> 

(No of children sent to the principal's office for misbehavior / Total number of children (Sent + not sent for the above reason) )

Bottom Line: The argument is not concerned with the proportion you have used - ( Number of students with allergic reactions / Number of nurses ). So, the logic you have used where you are trying to see how this proportion is impacted as a result of choice A - is incorrect.
Quote:
2 - Given from the question stem that the number of students sent to the hospital rises, based on the first choice, the number of nurses has either increased or remain stable.

I also wanted to focus on the bolded portion above as I feel you may be making an error here in interpreting what is given. 

Go through the argument once more - is it really given that the number of students sent to hospitals (for allergy treatment related to those chemicals) increased? 

We are only given that the proportion of such students increased. 

This is an important concept: An increase in proportion does not necessarily imply an increase in the absolute number.

For example:

10 years ago -> 100 students sent to hospital. 10 for allergies related to these chemicals. Proportion - 10%
Now -> 50 students sent to hospital. Again, 10 for allergies related to these chemicals. Proportion - 20%

The proportion can very well increase without an actual increase in the number. The argument only tells us that a proportion increased. We should be careful not to assume that the number increased too.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
___
Harsha
Enthu about all things GMAT | Exploring the GMAT space | My website: gmatanchor.com

Originally posted by HarshR9 on 13 Apr 2024, 21:46.
Last edited by HarshR9 on 21 Apr 2024, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
[textarea]

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 161: Critical Reasoning

Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as cleaners or pesticides causes allergic reactions in some children. Elementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years. Therefore, either Renston's schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago.

Summary - Nurses assume children are more exposed to chemicals, or more sensitive than children were 10 years ago as the # of cases has increased significantly.
Assumption - The likelihood of children sent to the nurse after being exposed is the same as it was 10 years ago. In other words, nothing has changed.

Quote:
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) The number of school nurses employed by Renston's elementary schools has not decreased over the past ten years.

The number of nurses has decreased over the past ten years. Great, but it has no impact on the conclusion. OUT

Quote:
(B) Children who are allergic to the chemicals are no more likely than other children to have allergies to other substances.

I won't even try an opposite test on this option, as it's irrelevant. OUT!

Quote:

Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are MORE LIKELY to be sent to a school nurse than they were ten years ago. If that's the case, it completely destroys the argument's conclusion that students are either more sensitive now, or are more exposed to the chemicals.

KEEP!

Quote:
(D) The chemicals are not commonly used as cleaners or pesticides in houses and apartment buildings in Renston.

This option is similar to in other countries blah blah blah happens. We are only concerned with the use of the pesticides and cleaners at the school.
TO make this assumption work, we would also have to assume that even though the students were exposed at home, they were sent to the school nurse instead of going to the doctor at a hospital etc.

OUT!

Quote:
(E) Children attending elementary school do not make up a larger proportion of Renston's population now than they did ten years ago.

This is irrelevant. OUT!

C is the answer IMO.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as cleaners or pesticides causes allergic reactions in some children. Elementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years. Therefore, either Renston's schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

The argument concludes by stating that the increase in proportion of school children sent to elementary school nurses for treatment of allergic reactions to chemicals might be either because the students have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or that they are more sensitive to chemicals than schoolchildren were ten years ago. The argument is hence, assuming that these are the only 2 possible reasons for the increased proportion. Thus, we need to find an answer choice that eliminates any alternative reasons. What would cause the conclusion to break down ? - Pointing out an alternative reason. Possible alternatives : 1) What if the number of students has increased over the past ten years ? Then the proportion could be higher without children being more sensitive or being exposed to these chemicals on a greater scale. 2) What if earlier also the magnitude of the reaction was similar but children were not sent to schools then ( ten years ago) probably because it was felt that a treatment is not required, however over the period of ten years more children are being sent to nurses.

(A) The number of school nurses employed by Renston's elementary schools has not decreased over the past ten years. - The number of nurses is irrelevant; the argument is talking about the proportion of reported cases here.
(B) Children who are allergic to the chemicals are no more likely than other children to have allergies to other substances. - argument talks about allergies to only chemicals and not other substances.
(C) Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago. - Yes, negate this: Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago. This would naturally lead in an increased proportion of students being sent to nurses and this breaks down the conclusion that there can only be two possible reasons.
(D) The chemicals are not commonly used as cleaners or pesticides in houses and apartment buildings in Renston. - This is irrelevant.
(E) Children attending elementary school do not make up a larger proportion of Renston's population now than they did ten years ago. - The comparison and argument is limited to elementary school children and is nowhere related to the rest of the population.

C is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
akshayk wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
[textarea]

Summary - Nurses assume children are more exposed to chemicals, or more sensitive than children were 10 years ago as the # of cases has increased significantly.
Assumption - The likelihood of children sent to the nurse after being exposed is the same as it was 10 years ago. In other words, nothing has changed.

How is this the assumption. The arguments states lementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantlyover the past ten years. It says proportion of school children sent for treatment has increases significantly. Can you please explain?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 540 Q42 V22
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
sayantanc2k GMATNinja,

I understand option A is clarified above and why it is wrong but I am not convinced yet. Proportion has increased that can also mean that nurses are same in count and students count has increased and so they are more cases as compared to past.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
This 'NOT' in option C is confusing me.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Schools: IMD '21
Send PM
I'm glad that i chose the right answer (c) but i really struggled a lot and it took me a lot of time.

I noticed that i struggle with negative modifiers with degrees such as "not more likely". When i really thought about this phrase it just means it is NEUTRAL. So when I substituted "not more likely" with the idea of it being just neutral. I understood it more.

As a non native english speaker, i struggle with tricky negative words like the one above.

Does anyone have tips with tricky words like this?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
The author concludes that one of two things has happened over the past ten years: either 1) Renston’s schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or 2) they are more sensitive to the chemicals than schoolchildren were ten years ago. How does the author arrive at this conclusion?

• We are given that exposure to cleaners and pesticides commonly used in schools can cause allergic reactions in some children.
  • Over the past ten years, the proportion of schoolchildren sent to school nurses for allergic reactions to THOSE chemicals has increased significantly.

The author states two possible explanations for this increase, but are those the only options? The author's explanation will only hold up if one of the following is assumed:

Quote:

A change to the number of nurses doesn't impact the number of students sent to see the nurses, so (A) can be eliminated.

Quote:

We are not concerned with allergies to other substances. Regardless of whether children allergic to the chemicals are more likely to have allergies to other substances, we still need to explain why more students are now sent to the nurses because of reactions to THOSE chemicals. The two theories in the conclusion are only meant to explain the increase in the number of schoolchildren sent to the nurses because of THOSE chemicals, so choice (B) is irrelevant.

Quote:

According to the argument, the increase in the proportion of schoolchildren sent to the elementary school nurses is due to either greater exposure to the chemicals or a greater sensitivity to the chemicals. But what if children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago? Maybe the amount and severity of the allergic reactions was the same ten years ago but students were simply less likely to be sent to the nurse back then. Maybe ten years ago the teachers simply let the suffering students remain in class with watery eyes and running noses (for example).

That could explain the increase in the proportion of schoolchildren sent to the elementary school nurses, even if students' exposure and sensitivity to the chemicals has not changed. In order for the argument to hold, the author must assume that children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are NOT more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago. Choice (C) looks good.

Quote:

Perhaps the cleaners ARE commonly used in houses and apartments, but we don't care about WHERE the students were exposed to the chemicals. If exposure has increased, whether at school or at home, then the author's argument would be valid. The author does not say that exposure has increased AT THE SCHOOLS, so choice (D) can be eliminated.

Quote:

We are trying to explain an increase in the PROPORTION of students sent to the nurses, not an increase in the TOTAL NUMBER of students sent to the nurses. Thus, an increase in the number of students or the proportion of the population attending elementary schools does not matter. We need to explain the increase in the PROPORTION sent to the nurses for those allergic reactions. Choice (E) is not a required assumption and can be eliminated.

But in A, the number of nurses matters? Because if the nurses number decrease, the proportion will be increase though after total number of students will not increase. So,shouldn't we assume that the number of nurse hasn’t decreased ? How A is wrong?

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
chowdhurysakib71 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:

But in A, the number of nurses matters? Because if the nurses number decrease, the proportion will be increase though after total number of students will not increase. So,shouldn't we assume that the number of nurse hasn’t decreased ? How A is wrong?

I'll steal a bit from this post that explains a similar issue with answer choice (E):

The author is trying to explain the proportion of elementary school students sent to nurses for treatment of allergic reactions:

• This proportion is a % of elementary school students.
  • In a fraction, it would be expressed as [# of elementary students sent to the nurse for treatment of specific allergic reactions] / [total # of elementary students].

You can see that the number of nurses plays no role in the relevant proportion -- we only care about the number of students sent to the nurse for treatment as a proportion of the total number of students.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM

Passage Analysis

• Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as cleaners or pesticides causes allergic reactions in some children.
    o Exposure to some particular chemical substances causes allergic reactions in some children.
    o These chemicals are commonly used in elementary schools as cleaners or pesticides.

• Elementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years.
    o Elementary school nurses in Renston have reported about the proportion of school children’s allergic reactions.
    o The nurses state that over the last 10 years, the proportion of schoolchildren sent to treat allergic reactions to the abovesaid chemicals (as a fraction to the total population of school children) has risen by a significant number through the period.

• Therefore, either Renston's schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago.
    o The author concludes that this phenomenon occurred because of either of the two possible reasons listed.
       One scenario is that the school children at Renston are exposed to higher amounts of the allergy causing chemicals.
       Another possibility is that the school children of Renston today are more likely to respond with allergic reaction to the same quantity of chemical exposure as the school children ten years ago were subjected to.

Conclusion: Either Renston's schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago.

Question Stem Analysis
We are required to identify the assumption needed to reach the conclusion of this argument.

Pre-thinking

Falsification Question
In what scenario is it possible that neither Renston's schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, nor they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago?
Given that
    • Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as cleaners or pesticides causes allergic reactions in some children.
    • Elementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years.

Thought Process
The two possibilities listed by the author as reasons for the observed increase in the proportion of school children sent to be treated for allergies to the said chemicals are, either that the children today are exposed to more quantity of the chemicals, or that the children these days are more sensitive to the chemicals and prone to have allergic reactions triggered by lesser amounts of the same. The implicit assumption made by the author lies in the link between the actual number of school children who had allergic reactions and the number of schoolchildren sent to the nurses for this reason. An assumption has been made regarding the strength of the chemicals in question as well.

Falsification Condition#1
What if students were not sent to nurses for allergic reactions to the chemicals ten years ago as often as they are sent for the same reason now? In that case the facts hold but the conclusion breaks down.
Assumption#1
Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago.

Falsification Condition #2
What if, during the last ten years, the strength of the chemical used in the cleaners and pesticides has increased? In that case, neither of the two possibilities listed in the conclusion will be needed and the conclusion will break down.
Assumption#2
The strength of the chemical used in cleaners and pesticides has not increased during the last ten years.

Answer Choice Analysis

INCORRECT
This option may confuse if the word ‘proportional’ in the passage is misunderstood as representing the ratio of schoolchildren sent for treatment to the number of nurses. But ‘proportional’ actually compares the allergic schoolchildren sent to be treated to the total population of school children. In this case, the number of school nurses makes no difference to the conclusion. Therefore, it is an incorrect answer.

INCORRECT
Allergies to other substances are totally out of context to our argument. Hence, this choice is an incorrect answer.

CORRECT
This information is necessary for the argument to hold and it is in line with our pre-thinking. Hence this is the correct answer choice.

INCORRECT
The usage of the chemicals in question anywhere outside elementary schools does not come under the purview of the argument, and hence, this option forms an incorrect choice.

INCORRECT
We are concerned only about the proportion of elementary school children sent to be treated for allergic reactions due to the mentioned chemicals as a ratio to the total number of elementary school children. The fraction the latter constitute among the total population of Renston is not a relevant factor in our analysis. Hence this is also a wrong answer choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
The correct answer is option (C).

Understanding the passage:

1. Exposure to certain chemicals has caused allergies in school children
2. These chemicals are used as cleaners or pesticides in the elementary schools
3. In Renston, elementary school nurses say that - "the proportion of children sent to them for allergy treatment has increased significantly over the last 10 years"
4. Conclusion: Either 1) Renston's schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals (OR)
2) They are more sensitive to chemicals today than students from 10 years ago

Understanding the question
Find the assumption on which the argument depends.

Thought Process:

An assumption is that implicit thought which is not stated, but has to be true for the conclusion to hold true. So, if an assumption is not true (negated), then the conclusion should break. A failsafe way to identify the assumptions is to identify the conditions under which the conclusion would definitely break.

So, let us falsify or break the conclusion:

In what scenario - 1) (Neither) have Renston's schoolchildern been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals
2) (Nor) are they more sensitive to chemicals today than students from 10 years ago

Given that 1) Exposure to these chemicals cause allergic reactions in school children 2) The proportion of students reporting to nurses for treatment of allergies due to these chemicals has increased.

Falsification Condition 1:
What if the concentration of the harmful component in these chemicals has increased, from ten years ago?
In such a case, even if the exposure level is the same as ten years ago (i.e. the amount of chemicals the children are exposed to is same), the amount of the harmful component of the chemical the children are exposed to will be more.

Example: 10 years ago, 50 grams of harmful component in 100 grams of chemical. Now, 75 grams of harmful component in every 100 grams of chemical. In terms of exposure to the chemical, the amount is still the same (say, 100 grams), but the exposure to the harmful component is higher (because of higher concentration (75 grams today instead of 50 grams 10 years ago)

Assumption 1: The concentration of the harmful component(s) in the chemicals has not increased today, as compared to 10 years ago

Falsification Condition 2:
What if students 10 years ago did not visit the nurse for allergies as often as students these days?
Maybe a significant number of students never visited the nurses for allergies, for whatever reason (maybe medicine those days was not good enough to justify going to a medic!). Then the increase in proportion observed is not because of the reasons mentioned in the conclusion, but because of this increased likelihood of visiting a nurse.

Assumption 2: Children who develop allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to visit a nurse today, than they were 10 years ago

Let us look at the answer choices:

Irrelevant. The conclusion is about schoolchildren visiting the nurses for allergies due to chemicals. The number of nurses has no relation to the conclusion.

Irrelevant. The passage is specific to the chemicals used in cleaners/pesticides, which can cause allergies in school children. Any other substance has no impact on our conclusion, and cannot therefore, be the correct assumption.

This is in line with our 2nd assumption. If children today are more likely to visit a nurse for allergies from these chemicals, then the increased proportion can be because of this increased likelihood rather than the points mentioned in the conclusion. Hence, this is the correct choice.

Let us try negating this assumption. Even if these chemicals are commonly used as cleaners/pesticides in places other than elementary schools, that only means that the children may be exposed to even more quantities of the chemicals than previously assumed. This may be happening 10 years ago as well (if the same chemicals were used then too), but we do not know. In no way will this option break the conclusion.

Irrelevant. The only relevant proportion in this argument is the proportion of students who went to nurses. The proportion of children in the population has zero impact on the conclusion.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34 (Online)
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35 (Online)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doesn't that make much sense that a reduced number of nurses mean that each nurse will attend more children?
Suppose the number of nurses has been decreased to half, then each nurse will attend twice the number of children, thus they ended up reporting the "higher proportion" of schoolchildren being sent to them for the treatment.

Can you please tell me why my justification is flawed?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
D4kshGargas wrote:

Doesn't that make much sense that a reduced number of nurses mean that each nurse will attend more children?
Suppose the number of nurses has been decreased to half, then each nurse will attend twice the number of children, thus they ended up reporting the "higher proportion" of schoolchildren being sent to them for the treatment.

Can you please tell me why my justification is flawed?

Take a look at this post that explains the reasons for eliminating (A).

Your reasoning isn't flawed, but you're looking at the wrong thing. The argument is about the proportion of students sent to a nurse -- in other words, what fraction of the student population is sent to a nurse. The number of nurses or the ratio of nurses to students is irrelevant.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts