Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Extensive research has shown that the effects of short-term price prom [#permalink]
Hi, from passage it can be inferred that the reason price promotion is not able to generate the intended effect is because of it's inability to attract new customers. Had that happended sales would have increased and hence future profit.
So for question 3, can you please helpe me understand how to eliminate option C - inability to attract new customers. - Official guide answer is B which I agree with but I was unable to eliminate option C
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Extensive research has shown that the effects of short-term price prom [#permalink]
Expert Reply

Question 3

Rickooreo wrote:
Hi, from passage it can be inferred that the reason price promotion is not able to generate the intended effect is because of it's inability to attract new customers. Had that happended sales would have increased and hence future profit.
So for question 3, can you please helpe me understand how to eliminate option C - inability to attract new customers. - Official guide answer is B which I agree with but I was unable to eliminate option C

Overall, the passage is arguing that "the effects of short-term price promotions on sales are themselves short-term." In other words, while short-term price promotions might increase sales in the short run, they don't increase sales in the long run.

Notice that this main idea doesn't address the idea of profits or a company's "bottom line." It's only talking about the effect on sales.

To support this main idea about sales, the author tells us in the second paragraph that price promotions fail to attract new customers. This fact explains why short-term price promotions only increase sales in the short-term. Notice, however, it doesn't explain why price promotions run at a loss. In theory, simply enticing existing customers to buy more probably could increase profits. As long as each good is still sold at a profit, a price promotion could theoretically run at a profit.

But either way, the failure to attract new customers isn't cited to explain why price promotions run at a loss. It's only cited to explain why the effect of short-term price promotions is itself short-term.

Let's now consider (C):

Quote:
Q3:The passage suggests that evidence for price promotions’ “effect on the bottom line” (Last line ) is provided by

C. price promotions’ inability to attract new customers

The passage talks about "price promotions' inability to attract new customers" in order to explain why their effect on sales is short-term. This fact doesn't explain why price promotions cause companies to run at a loss. For that reason, (C) is incorrect.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Question 3

Rickooreo wrote:

Overall, the passage is arguing that "the effects of short-term price promotions on sales are themselves short-term." In other words, while short-term price promotions might increase sales in the short run, they don't increase sales in the long run.

Notice that this main idea doesn't address the idea of profits or a company's "bottom line." It's only talking about the effect on sales.

To support this main idea about sales, the author tells us in the second paragraph that price promotions fail to attract new customers. This fact explains why short-term price promotions only increase sales in the short-term. Notice, however, it doesn't explain why price promotions run at a loss. In theory, simply enticing existing customers to buy more probably could increase profits. As long as each good is still sold at a profit, a price promotion could theoretically run at a profit.

But either way, the failure to attract new customers isn't cited to explain why price promotions run at a loss. It's only cited to explain why the effect of short-term price promotions is itself short-term.

Let's now consider (C):

Quote:
Q3:The passage suggests that evidence for price promotions’ “effect on the bottom line” (Last line ) is provided by

C. price promotions’ inability to attract new customers

The passage talks about "price promotions' inability to attract new customers" in order to explain why their effect on sales is short-term. This fact doesn't explain why price promotions cause companies to run at a loss. For that reason, (C) is incorrect.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja can you please elaborate why B is the correct answer. I was not sure how to justify "frequency" ..... ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
Send PM
Can someone explain Q3 in detail pls
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
nikitathegreat wrote:
Can someone explain Q3 in detail pls

Here you go

https://gmatclub.com/forum/extensive-re ... l#p3028442

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
@VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
Could you please help with elimination of options B and C for Q2?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Question 3

IN2MBB2PE wrote:
Quote:

GMATNinja can you please elaborate why B is the correct answer. I was not sure how to justify "frequency" ..... ?

The author thinks that price promotions have an "effect on the bottom line" -- a bad effect. They run at a loss.

Question 3 asks us about evidence to support this claim. We find that evidence earlier in the final paragraph: "price promotions are generally run at a loss, otherwise there would be more of them."

Here, the author makes a connection between the frequency of price promotions and their effect on the bottom line. He/she supports the claim that price promotions cause a loss by citing the relatively low frequency of such promotions. If the promotions caused a huge profit, then they would be run more frequently.

So, "the frequency with which price promotions occur," as stated in (B), is evidence that the price promotions run at a loss.

I hope that helps!

­What exactly does "bottomline" mean here? Are they front-line workers?­
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts