Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Failed GMAT score, what to do? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AmyBrown wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
AmyBrown wrote:
I'm 29 so I wanted to apply this year for next year's class. I unfortunately scored 640 on the GMAT twice with nearly identical split (Q44 V32-34). How bad does this look? Is it only giving the image that this is my true level? I had some timing issues on quant so I already thought I did bad on that section but I have no idea how I did so badly on verbal during this retake.

I feel that I have a good background at some blue chip companies to have a good shot at some of the top schools but this GMAT score became the biggest obstacle. With the round 2 deadlines coming up, I still have one more retake left in December (have to wait 31 days from today), but I am going to miss the round 2 deadline for my top choice school. The deadline is early December. Should I submit an application anyway and hopefully resubmit an improve GMAT score a week after or should I submit an application for round 3? I'm not confident anymore that I can pull my GMAT score up because I expected a big increase on the retake only to end up with the same exact score.

Hey Amy,
Round three can be pretty tough, so it's better not to bank on it if you can avoid it. I'd tend to advise that you make your R2 application with what you have, and if worst comes to worst, you have till end of july to retake the GMAT, and that should give you enough time to study.

But hopefully you won't have to worry about that becuase best will come to best.
;)

Do you think this 640 GMAT is something I should mention in the optional essay? That I plan to retake it and will send an updated score?
I also have a lower than average undergrad GPA of 3.1 that I planned to discuss in there. I believe having two negatives probably won't look that great. Finally, do you think I stand a shot at a top 10-16 school with this GMAT? I think if I scored even 680-700 on the GMAT, I certainly have the shot with the rest of my profile, but I'm not sure with a 640. I put myself in this tough situation with the GMAT limiting me because I didn't plan on going back to school for my MBA until some circumstances came about recently in my life.

Amy,
Well there's not really much you can write about a low GMAT other than the fact that it's a low GMAT, so there's no advantage to you writing about it. Now I don't know enough about your background or where you are applying to, but I have to be honest, a top 15 school with a 640 is going to be VERY challenging, even with Blue Chip companies. All I can say is that if you think you can score a 700 on a later exam, I'd suggest delaying your application till next year. Cause the difference between a 640 and a 700 with a good profile, can be the difference between getting in and not.
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts