Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [2]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
Send PM
Re: Failed once again: 460 to 540 [#permalink]
Hello, Please don't lose your hope. I think there is room for improving your quant score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
Hang in there. I used the GMATPrep Question Pack 1 and the GMATPrep Exam Pack 1. Those were very useful. They contain questions similar to the real GMAT and you should be able to have a good feel about your real strengths and weaknesses. Practice these questions and try retaking after two months.

Also, it seems you are doing well in the practice tests but not so good in the real test. Maybe you should try changing the test center and see what happens.

Wish you all the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Hang in there man, one thing you have to realize is that there are gaps in your fundamentals. As others have said, you need to analyze where your weak areas are. Mine are definitely some areas of arithmetics so I focus my quant time there.

Im not sure what to tell you other than statistics sucks.. Actually, probability sucks. Because judging by your practice CAT'S, you most definitely should be over the 600 mark, actually you should probably be at least around the 650 mark. But on that test day, unfortunately, there is some probability for all of us that everything will go wrong.

Also, when you did take the CAT's, did you do it in a complete D-day like environment? Meaning you do all the AWA's and do every single part in the allotted time, no more no less? Because I think that is essential; if you do not let your body and mind get used to test-day environment, you're letting your guard down for elements of surprise - in your case they seem to lead to a worse score.

Other than that, it's about understanding HOW to practice for the GMAT, I guess.. Im not sure Im practicing correctly but what Im trying to do is to thoroughly UNDERSTAND every wrong answer I make. Not necesserily why a specific answer is the right answer, but why and where I failed to solve it (did I calculate wrong was I too quick, did I completely misunderstand the question, silly mistake, or do I lack fundamental knowledge?). Basically it is about understanding the flaws in your mental process; focus on what you do wrong rather than what actually is the right answer. The right answer is irrelevant if it isn't on the actual exam, preparation is all about leaving as little to chance as possible so minimizing errors in process is key.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts