It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Farmers get water at subsidized rates that are much lower

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 92 [2], given: 9

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Farmers get water at subsidized rates that are much lower [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2011, 01:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

24% (01:20) correct 76% (01:28) wrong based on 1069 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Farmers get water at subsidized rates that are much lower than the increasingly high prices fetched on the open market.
Some farmers are debating whether to continue irrigating their crops and sell their produce or to let the crops die and sell
their irrigation water to needy cities and other farms.

Which of the following would be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the farmers' current debate?

A: Whether farmers will get water at subsidized rates in the future.
B: Whether produce prices will increase if some farmers let their crops die.
C: whether irrigation water needs to be filtered and purified before drinking.
D: Whether their crops, if allowed to die, can easily be replanted the following year.
E: Whether the price of water will continue to increase at its current rate.

Hi,

Can you please help me understand the answer to the following question?

Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 92 [2], given: 9

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 361 [2], given: 22

Schools: Simon '16 (M)
Re: Evaluate - Farmers get water at subsidized rates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2011, 04:16
This post received
KUDOS
Premise1: Farmers get water at subsidized rates that are lower that outside rate
Premise2: Farmers are debating whether to continue irrigating and sell their crops or let the crops die and help the needy cities and other farms with their subsidized water.

Which of the following would be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the farmers' current debate?

Future doesn't matter. Farmers are debating whether to continue irrigating with already subsidized water that they have.

Produce price increment or decrement doesn't help the debating whether to help needy or continue irrigating.
We do not know if the irrigation water is going to be used for drinking. It could be used for any purpose.
D: Whether their crops, if allowed to die, can easily be replanted the following year.
If farmer knows that their crop, if allowed to die, can easily be replanted following year then they will be ready to help other cities and farms. But if their crops cannot be replanted then they will incur a loss and will be reluctant to help other cities
Does not matter so far farmers keep getting water at subsidized rate.

OA D.

My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.

Kudos [?]: 361 [2], given: 22

2 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2051 [2], given: 376

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2011, 04:21
This post received
KUDOS
eladshus wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

Farmers get water at subsidized rates that are much lower than the increasingly high prices fetched on the open market.
Some farmers are debating whether to continue irrigating their crops and sell their produce or to let the crops die and sell

Let's see what could be of any use to the farmer.

Farmers are just worrying about the crop they already planted. Future is not in picture

Even if the produce prices increase, the real question is whether it will outweigh the benefits incurred from the water business. This becomes hairier when we know that the price increase is in direct relation with number of farmers quitting irrigation. Unless farmers know all those granular detail, this will provide no great benefit to the discussion.
So, if someone says; yes, the prices will increase. That begets another question; by how much?

While the passage doesn't mention the difference in quality, type of water sold in open market and the one used for irrigation, I feel the passage is actually talking about the same type of water or the debate wouldn't even arise. Hope farmers know that for sure.

This question gives some tactical advantage for the farmers. Farmers may consider this to save their back in future should they have to revert back to their old vocation. Perhaps okay.

Increase or not. Farmers will always get it at a subsidized rate.

Not too convincing. If I were the farmer, I'd be more concerned about the numbers. Whether reselling the water will give me relatively more profit than producing and selling the crop, all other factors being negligible in both cases.

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 2051 [2], given: 376

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2011, 10:25
D is the answer. Farmers must consider whether they can plant the crops again in future years if they stop irrigating their land this year. Perhaps the land is permanently damaged if not irrigated this year. If the price of water goes up in the future (subsidies removed) then the farmers would have no income. Thus this is the key consideration that farmers have to think about.

My choices were either B or D. I didn't choose B in the end because it's a net 0 trade; a farmer could make the same amount of money in crops (value of crops would go up with no one farms anymore) or water (arbitrage to open market price).

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2011, 22:33
D ++

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 42

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Farmers get water at subsidized rates that are much lower [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2013, 05:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2013, 07:38
D was chosen based on the logic that farmers need to know if their crops die now, can they be replanted following year.
My challenge of this choice is as follows:
So farmers, based on their knowledge that crop can be replanted next year, but have no idea about water prices for next year, they'd kill their plants now, and then find out next year that water prices are not subsidized anymore. What's the gain here?

Well, the same logic can be applied to A: if farmers know if they will be able to get water at subsidized rates in the future, then they can evaluate whether its a good idea to let the crop die now and continue with selling the water in the future.

I don't see an advantage of either of those 2 choices over the other.
Any feedback?

Struggling: make or break attempt

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 23

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 401

Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2014, 15:18
eladshus wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

A lot of doubts concerning this question...

A seems much better than D.

i agree that we need to talk about the future and the perspective when answering this question. the only two answers left are A&D.

But in D they use the word EASILY which has a special meaning here: "It is perhaps not easy to replant my crops but it is POSSIBLE".

Therefore, I will chose A, because if subsidize water to not continue to flow in, than there is no reason to implement such a plan.

Suggestions?

Think outside the box

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 401

Expert Post
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2014, 16:41
eladshus wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Choice D means that the farmers if let their crops die i.,e it is based on some initially determined factors which if fails can be set right which is, the crops can easily be replanted the next year.

The above doesn't seem a very good choice because the factors should help to select one choice over the other. You do not say that if one choice fails, the other choice will work.

It would have been more appropriate had a choice been: the current differential between the subsidized rate and the rate in the open market will continue in the future.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com/regularcourse.php

Pay After Use
Standardized Approaches

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 21:25
Indeed D does not seem to be a right choice. It says, famers can not EASILY replant the crop next year. it infers that farmers have to make more efforts to replant next year. It surely does not say that farmers can't replant next year.

On the other hand, Choice A does make the sense. Concluding that next year they will not get subsidized water, farmers will make a decision to irrigate the crops.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 30

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 19

WE: Consulting (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2015, 03:43
Garbage question and very confusing..

eladshus wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2015, 06:40
The answer should be D and not A.

The debate is between irrigating the crop and selling the produce or letting the crop die and selling the water. Now, if we weigh options A and D: even if there is no subsidy available, the farmers will still be able to grow the crop (although at a higher cost). However, if they are unable grow the crop. the subsidy will not really help even if they get it. So, Option D is a better question to ask then Option A as it will be the deciding factor.

Hope this helps :)

Best Regards!

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 5

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16969 [0], given: 1961

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2015, 10:11

Kudos [?]: 16969 [0], given: 1961

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 20:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 23

Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 06:50
eladshus wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Lets talk about A.

Farmers decide to let the crops die and sell the water to cities.
City council comes to know of it.
Now no more subsidized water.
Now what will the farmer do?

We are evaluating selling water vs selling plants.

D says nothing about the first part.

D is clearly wrong. Even if they are not replanted, if the farmers continue to get subsidized water... can't they continue living on that?

Kudos if I helped ;)

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Farmers get water at subsidized rates that are much lower [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 10:52
Most people over here are assuming that the farmers want to sell to make more profits than selling crops. They indeed want to sell the water , might be at the subsidized rate cause if they did sell it for a higher rate, then the people from the town would not buy it from them but actually get it from the supplier who is already selling it to them at a higher rate. So since the farmers are selling water presumably at a more affordable rate, they are doing it to help the people. In turn they need to make sure that their sacrifice will not have a long lasting effect meaning that they should be able to farm the next year. The Answer is D.

The answer cannot be A, cause they are debating about the water they currently have. There is no indication that they are storing water now in case of a price fluctuation in the future . So there is no reason for them to evaluate about the future subsidy.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 11:11
since this question is from princeton, this question is unofficial?

Director
Director
S

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 11:12
B,C,E are out of scope.
D directly connects with the heart issue of the argument.

Re: Farmers get water at subsidized rates that are much lower   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2017, 11:12

Farmers get water at subsidized rates that are much lower

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap