Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Weakenx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Fast-food restaurants make up 45 percent of all restaurants in Cantari [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
saby1410 wrote:
VeritasKarishma

if in option b All is mentioned instead of some will then optin is correct

like in this question it's not 100 % full proof weaken ans
i have seen many questions like the same which aren't 100% proof ans in strenthen and weaken type. So should i look for options which just provide belief of either strengthening or weakening

Any other insights you wants to give regarding this type of answers

If (B) has "all" in place of "some", it will negate this premise:
"studies have shown that the older people get, the less likely they are to eat in fast-food restaurants"

We need to take the premises to be true. It doesn't make sense then to have its negation true too.

Hi VeritasKarishma - what if option B had "49 % of the older people eat at fast food restaurants more frequently than the average young person"

Would that weaken in your view ?

Initially I thought it would weaken but now I am thinking , even if the percentage is 49 % or 100 %, it may not go against the premise

""studies have shown that the older people get, the less likely they are to eat in fast-food restaurants"

because it quite possible that 49 % or 100 % of the elderly just frequent fast food restaurants and it's quite possible they just order a coffee (1 $ value) whereas the young may frequent less and order on average 15 $ worth of food perhaps

Thoughts on if (B) was 100 % or 49 % instead of 'Some" -- would that still not weaken or would that weaken ?

Thank you !

Thank you !
VP
VP
Send PM
Fast-food restaurants make up 45 percent of all restaurants in Cantari [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

Hi VeritasKarishma - what if option B had "49 % of the older people eat at fast food restaurants more frequently than the average young person"

Would that weaken in your view ?

Initially I thought it would weaken but now I am thinking , even if the percentage is 49 % or 100 %, it may not go against the premise

""studies have shown that the older people get, the less likely they are to eat in fast-food restaurants"

because it quite possible that 49 % or 100 % of the elderly just frequent fast food restaurants and it's quite possible they just order a coffee (1 $ value) whereas the young may frequent less and order on average 15 $ worth of food perhaps

Thoughts on if (B) was 100 % or 49 % instead of 'Some" -- would that still not weaken or would that weaken ?

Thank you !

Thank you !

Given premise:
"studies have shown that the older people get, the less likely they are to eat in fast-food restaurants. "

So people at 40 yrs of age eat less frequently in fast food restaurants than do people at 20 yrs of age. Either a smaller fraction of 40 yr olds may be eating in these restaurants or all may be eating but less frequently than 20 yr olds.
Even if 100% 40 yr olds eat at fast food restaurants, they may be doing so only once a month while 20 yr olds may be eating there every week.

Option (B) says that "some" older people eat more frequently than do youngsters so they are giving "some" as the exception group to the rule that older people are less likely to eat. Had this been "all older people eat more frequently than do youngsters," that would make the premise false. So an option like that would be unacceptable.

The distinction is not between 'eat' and 'visit'. The argument as well as the option (B) talks about 'eat'.

Hi VeritasKarishma - Just one last follow-up

If "Some" Was 49 % in option B --it technically will not go against the premise [the premise says "studies have shown that the older people get, the less likely they are to eat in fast-food restaurant, so it could be a razor thin difference technically]

Option B tweaked) Studies have shown that 49 % of the older population eat more frequently than youngsters in fast food restaurants

Would this weaken the argument in your view ?

Why or why not ?
Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Fast-food restaurants make up 45 percent of all restaurants in Cantari [#permalink]
There is no evidence to suggest that the inbound population will be any younger than the current population. What if a new retirement village opened up on the island? B or D feel equally specious as potential answers here.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Re: Fast-food restaurants make up 45 percent of all restaurants in Cantari [#permalink]
Between B and D.
Not B because this option uses the word "some"
IMO: D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
Justinseaman wrote:
There is no evidence to suggest that the inbound population will be any younger than the current population. What if a new retirement village opened up on the island? B or D feel equally specious as potential answers here.

B is telling that some older people eat more than the average young person. Let there are 5 elderly people eat more than the average of young persons and the number you customers are 300. So the total consumption by young persons will outweigh. If the answer option would have ensured number of old persons are more than the number of young persons then Option B would be the answere.

On the other hand, D says the overall population growing steadily. The overall population comprises both old and young people. So, the answer is D.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Why isn't A correct? What it suggests is that there is increased demand so it’s not necessarily the case that the number of restaurants will decrease.. After all, why would restaurants get bigger if fewer customers are coming in?

GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
scarlatti wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
Younger people eat in fastfood. Average age of current population is increasing - Number of fastfood restaurants will decrease

Possible weakener: As the current population ages, younger people are added to the population

A) Fast-food restaurants in Canatria are getting bigger, so each one can serve more customers. - Incorrect - Out of context. We are not bothered about the increase in capacity of fast food restaurants.

B) Some older people eat at fast-food restaurants more frequently than the average young person. - Incorrect - Irrelevant

C) Many people who rarely eat in fast-food restaurants nevertheless eat regularly in restaurants. - Incorrect - Strengthens

D) The overall population of Canatria is growing steadily. - Correct

E) As the population of Canatria gets older, more people are eating at home. - Incorrect - Supports the argument

Answer: D

I have a problem with D. Just because Canatria´s population increased, it doesn´t mean that the number of young people in Canatria will increase, since that same increase in the population could have been due to immigration for example, and we can´t say that immigrants are young.

Vyshak, it's true that choice (D) might not weaken the argument. We can think of scenarios, like the one you described, in which choice (D) would have no effect. But remember that we are looking for an answer choice that most seriously weakens the argument, not an answer choice that definitely weakens the argument.

The author says that the number of fast-food restaurants is likely to decrease because the average age is increasing. Thus, according to the author, the number of young people will probably decrease. Choice (D) seriously undermines this reasoning. If the overall population is growing steadily ("steadily" is a key word here), then that will probably counteract the effect of the aging.

Sure, we might have a steady influx of older immigrants, but if we are talking about steady growth of the overall population, it is more likely that we will see increases across all ages. Choice (D) does not disprove the author's logic with 100% certainty, but it does seriously weaken the argument.

I hope that helps!

I am still a little hazy on this one GMATNinja. I am number guy, I get that if overall population increase, the whole demographic could grow proportionally. Thus, it could offset the number of old people intown and continue to have a steady number of fast food customer base. However, the "average" continues to grow as the problem stated. I thought this would overwrite any assumption *we thought* the author were making. In a way, I think the statement is trying to say there are way more old people and will continue to outweigh the young.
I probably do not make any sense here please correct me if I am wrong or assuming things. I am doing this assumption identification practice, and the one made in this excerpt: 1) no other possible factors would suddenly increase the demand on fast food 2) the overall age of the population will continue to grow old regardless of possible outside factors like migrations. I was ohonestly only looking at choices that resembles 1).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
Dear Experts, please assist me here: Isn't Option B valid? Although it states that "Some" older people eat more frequently than the younger people, the statement still attacks the conclusion made by the author! Although option B says "Some", the option is still strong enough to arrest the decrease of the fast food restaurants

Quote:
B) Some older people eat at fast-food restaurants more frequently than the average young person.

Even if some older people eat at fast-food restaurants more frequently than the average young person, it wouldn't change the evidence on which the argument is based: "Customers at these restaurants tend to be young; in fact, studies have shown that the older people get, the less likely they are to eat in fast-food restaurants."

This evidence only suggests that older people are less likely to eat in fast-food restaurants and does not suggest that ALL older people eat at fast-food restaurants less frequently than the average young person. Statement (B) does not interfere with the author's argument and can be eliminated.

I hope that helps!

Hi Charles,
I'm still struggling with this one. I rejected "D" because
a.) it was questioning a premise that the average age of the town is increasing
b.) population increase can be from new birth or migration. You've explained the this one, and I get that.
I picked "A" as my answer because I thought of this stimulus as Cause (increase in average age) > Effect (decrease in number of restaurants) and "A" provides an alternate cause for the number of restaurant to come down.
Let me know; thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
CONCLUSION - Number of fast food restaurants in Cantaria are likely to decrease

GIVEN -

1) Fast food restaurants are 45% in Cantaria
2) It's customers are mostly young
3) With the increasing age, people are less likely tp eat in fast food restaurants
4) Average age of Cantaria is increasing and will continue

WEAKNER - What new information would reduce the belief in the conclusion?

ANSWER CHOICE ANALYSIS -

A) Getting big doesn't impact the conclusion
B) Some older people - maybe from 0 to 100%, so concretely it doesn't weaken
C) Eating regularly in regular restaurants - not the part of argument
D) CORRECT - With the increase in population, the young population would be maintained and thus the restaurants won't decrease
E) Actually strengthens the conclusion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: ISB '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Let met try.

Why is B Wrong?

Because, the old people must have been eating before this information got published, and they will continue to eat. So, No change.

Why this thought ?
Some older people eat at fast-food restaurants more frequently than the average young person.
Eat is simple present, which implies fact or habit so if its a habit it must have been true before as well.

Makes sense?

Please comment to let me know!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
RichaChampion wrote:
Number & Percentages are two different things.
Percentages are actually numbers expressed on the scale of 100.

In various problems, they use number and percentages interchangeably to create a RIGHT or WRONG solution.

20% 100 < 5%1000 [20 < 50]

Fast-food restaurants make up 45 percent of all restaurants in Cantaria. Customers at these restaurants tend to be young; in fact, studies have shown that the older people get, the less likely they are to eat in fast-food restaurants. Since the average age of the Canatrian population is gradually rising and will continue to do so, the number of fast-food restaurants is likely to decrease.

The argument is saying that since the average age is gradually rising that means that the %age of older people is increasing and the percentage of young people is decreasing from 45%. Therefore the number of fast foods restaurant is likely to decrease.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

The existence or Presence or Survival of Fast Food restaurants depends on upon a minimum number of people who belong to the young age, but as the argument says that this %age is decreasing, therefore a lesser number of Young people.

CURRENT STATUS = 45% OF CURRENT TOTAL POPULATION = CERTAIN CURRENT NUMBER

But, The percentage in red is decreasing? Then how can we maintain the same number of young people?

As we discussed above with sample space - 20% 100 < 5%1000

(45-X)% OF FUTURE TOTAL POPULATION ≥ 45% OF CURRENT TOTAL POPULATION

Where,
FUTURE TOTAL POPULATION > CURRENT TOTAL POPULATION - This is what option D says.

In my opinion, basis of explanation for this post is incorrect.
Given stem says ''45 % of all restaurants" and not "45 % of population/people".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GRE 1: Q166 V153
Send PM
Fast-food restaurants make up 45 percent of all restaurants in Cantaria. Customers at these restaurants tend to be young; in fact, studies have shown that the older people get, the less likely they are to eat in fast-food restaurants. Since the average age of the Canatrian population is gradually rising and will continue to do so, the number of fast-food restaurants is likely to decrease.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) Fast-food restaurants in Canatria are getting bigger, so each one can serve more customers.

(B) Some older people eat at fast-food restaurants more frequently than the average young person.

(C) Many people who rarely eat in fast-food restaurants nevertheless eat regularly in restaurants.

(D) The overall population of Canatria is growing steadily.

(E) As the population of Canatria gets older, more people are eating at home.

Gist: The number of fastfood restaurants is likely to decrease (due to the average age going up). An obvious gap is that what if the population is being replenished by younger people at an increasing or positive rate. That would mean that even though on average age rising, if the total number of people is increasing, more young people are still available for the businesses to run, which would undermine the gist. Option D hits right at this point, undermining the assumption made by author (that the total population is either the same or decreasing in future, so there are no young people replacing the elderly people at a positive rate).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Other
GRE 1: Q164 V158
Send PM
Population increased => number of young folks increased

average increase => number of aged people also increased steadily

so this means that there needn't be a decrease in number of fast food restaurants as average age increases as the upcoming young folks will compensate ;) - option D is right
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
With due respect to all the posters, allow me to post my flawed logic despite having gone through all the excellent explanations (trying to improve my thought process when it comes to GMAT verbal

I chose A

Rationale :

Reason for fewer restaurants => They've gotten bigger and NOT anything to do with the ageing population, HENCE weaken

What's wrong with this approach?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts