Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 435 [36]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 868 [12]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
General Discussion
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8805 [4]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Re: Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and [#permalink]
Kudos
creativeminddu wrote:
Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and preserved in the 1880s have been found to contain only half as much mercury as feathers recently taken from living birds of the same species. Since mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird, these results indicate that mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago.

The argument depends on assuming that

(A) the proportion of a seabird’s diet consisting of fish was not as high, on average, in the 1880s as it is today

(B) the amount of mercury in a saltwater fish depends on the amount of pollution in the ocean habitat of the fish

(C) mercury derived from fish is essential for the normal growth of a seabird’s feathers

(D) the stuffed seabirds whose feathers were tested for mercury were not fully grown

(E) the process used to preserve birds in the 1880s did not substantially decrease the amount of mercury in the birds’ feathers

Source: LSAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LdXSJwF2NA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja nightblade354 VeritasPrepKarishma pikolo2510 generis

Can you help me to understand the argument?

Quote:
Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and preserved in the 1880s have been found to contain only half as much mercury as feathers recently taken from living birds of the same species.

Birds from today have 100 mg of mercury (for e.g) than those that lived in 1980 who had
50 mg of mercury. Both birds are of same species.

Quote:
Since mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird, these results indicate that mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago.

Mercury found in birds' feathers is derived from fish that birds eat.
There is a direct linear relationship between accumulation of mercury in feathers and
amount of fish that birds eat.

Final conclusion:
mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago.

Here is where I faltered? What a scope shift from birds to fish in the argument? I am nowwhere given
a hint to relate mercury level in fish. It is the birds that eat fish, how do I know mercury levels in fish and to
what do I co-relate it to?

the analysis of the argument was perfect :thumbup:

As you see there is a big scope shift. The assumption that should straight popup in your head is "Mercury in saltwater fish is directly responsible for the mercury in the bird's feather" . That's how you can draw the conclusion.

Hope this helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
adkikani wrote:

Quote:
Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and preserved in the 1880s have been found to contain only half as much mercury as feathers recently taken from living birds of the same species.

Birds from today have 100 mg of mercury (for e.g) than those that lived in 1980 who had

Quote:
Since mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird, these results indicate that mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago.

There is a direct linear relationship between accumulation of mercury in feathers and

Final conclusion:

Here is where I faltered? What a scope shift from birds to fish in the argument? I am nowwhere given
a hint to relate mercury level in fish. It is the birds that eat fish, how do I know mercury levels in fish and to

Hi adkikani,

1. Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and preserved in the 1880s have been found to contain only half as much mercury as feathers recently taken from living birds of the same species.

2. Since mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird--> the fish is the source of Mercury in the seabird's feather

these results indicate that mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago.---> Based on the premises 1 and 2 we can infer the given conclusion.

1.the proportion of a seabird’s diet consisting of fish was not significantly lower, on average, in the 1880s as it is today.
2. The seabirds whose feathers have been stuffed and preserved since the 1880s were not significantly younger than those whose feathers were taken recently.

Are these also valid assumptions?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , ccooley , GMATNinjaTwo ,
VeritasPrepKarishma ,other experts-- please enlighten

Skywalker18, you nailed it!

We are specifically told that the "mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird." Although we aren't given the exact mercury levels in the fish, we can infer that, all else equal, increasing the amount of fish eaten would increase mercury levels in the feathers. Also, increasing the mercury levels in the fish would likely increase mercury levels in the feathers.

And, yes, your highlighted assumptions (variations of choice A and choice D) would be valid assumptions. If either of those highlighted assumptions were not true, the argument would fall apart. You deserve a cookie. :-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2218 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Hey nightblade354

Please add the LSAT tag

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
Pre-thinking:

Conclusion: Mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago.

Premises on which it is based:
i) Mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird.
ii) Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and preserved in the 1880s have been found to contain only half as much mercury as feathers recently taken from living birds of the same species.

Prima facie the argument seems to make sense. If mercury in the feathers derives from fish eaten, and recent feathers have more mercury, it is logical to suggest that fish now have more mercury. Therefore, in order to find an assumption, we are looking for one of the following:

1) Rule out an alternate explanation.
2) Rule out a correlation (a third variable that influences both time and mercury in feathers).

Let us examine the answers:

(A) the proportion of a seabird’s diet consisting of fish was not as high, on average, in the 1880s as it is today This is worth considering. If mercury comes from fish, and the seabirds are eating more fish today, it is possible that this has led to more mercury. However, this assumes that the other portion of the diet does not contain any mercury. For now, we can hold on to this option.

(B) the amount of mercury in a saltwater fish depends on the amount of pollution in the ocean habitat of the fish This does not address the mercury in the feathers at all. Irrelevant. Eliminate.

(C) mercury derived from fish is essential for the normal growth of a seabird’s feathers This does not address the difference in the mercury levels in the feathers at all. Eliminate.

(D) the stuffed seabirds whose feathers were tested for mercury were not fully grown We know nothing about levels of mercury in the feathers of juvenile and adult seabirds. Out of scope. Eliminate.

(E) the process used to preserve birds in the 1880s did not substantially decrease the amount of mercury in the birds’ feathers Correct answer. This clearly rules out an alternate explanation for the different levels of mercury.

Since (E) is a much cleaner option, we can eliminate option (A).

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 527
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:
Veritas teaches a technique called the "assumption negation technique" that is very effective for solving critical reasoning assumption questions. In order to utilize the assumption negation technique, narrow down your list of potential answers to a couple you feel may be correct. Then, for each answer choice, negate the choice, insert the negated statement back into the argument, and gauge whether or not the argument falls apart. A correct assumption, when negated, will destroy the argument.

This argument is stating that mercury levels are higher in saltwater fish now than in the 1880s, and it uses the comparison of the mercury in feathers of currently living birds vs. those of birds stuffed in the 1880s.

Negating answer choice E, we have: "the process used to preserve birds in the 1880s DID substantially decrease the amount of mercury in the birds’ feathers." If that is the case, then the comparison between living birds and those stuffed in the 1880s is no longer relevant, as the mercury in those birds' feathers was significantly altered. This destroys the link between premises and conclusion, and thus answer choice E is a required assumption.

I hope this helps!!!

hi

its fairly easy problem, and like everyone, I also got it right, but...
I was wondering if you could tell me whether the way I have eliminated "C" is okay

Assumption is an unstated premise, but the premise that "C" states is clearly stated in the argument, so it cannot be an unstated premise, so I have ruled it out. Is that okay ..?

thanks in advance, man
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 490 [0]
Given Kudos: 467
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Went with E

(E) the process used to preserve birds in the 1880s did not substantially decrease the amount of mercury in the birds’ feather.

The argument has to consider the answer E before making the statement "mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago"
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8805 [0]
Send PM
gmatcracker2018 wrote:
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:
Veritas teaches a technique called the "assumption negation technique" that is very effective for solving critical reasoning assumption questions. In order to utilize the assumption negation technique, narrow down your list of potential answers to a couple you feel may be correct. Then, for each answer choice, negate the choice, insert the negated statement back into the argument, and gauge whether or not the argument falls apart. A correct assumption, when negated, will destroy the argument.

This argument is stating that mercury levels are higher in saltwater fish now than in the 1880s, and it uses the comparison of the mercury in feathers of currently living birds vs. those of birds stuffed in the 1880s.

Negating answer choice E, we have: "the process used to preserve birds in the 1880s DID substantially decrease the amount of mercury in the birds’ feathers." If that is the case, then the comparison between living birds and those stuffed in the 1880s is no longer relevant, as the mercury in those birds' feathers was significantly altered. This destroys the link between premises and conclusion, and thus answer choice E is a required assumption.

I hope this helps!!!

hi

its fairly easy problem, and like everyone, I also got it right, but...
I was wondering if you could tell me whether the way I have eliminated "C" is okay

Assumption is an unstated premise, but the premise that "C" states is clearly stated in the argument, so it cannot be an unstated premise, so I have ruled it out. Is that okay ..?

thanks in advance, man

Hi gmatcracker2018,
I don't think C is stated in the argument.

(C) mercury derived from fish is essential for the normal growth of a seabird’s feathers - Incorrect

mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird -- We can't infer that mercury is essential for the normal growth based on this sentence.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and [#permalink]

Quote:

Quote:

Final conclusion:

Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
adkikani, the above explanations are good. As for me, I simply negated (E):

(E) the process used to preserve birds in the 1880s did substantially decrease the amount of mercury in the birds’ feathers

If this is the statement, then the argument completely falls apart, and hence is the answer. Negation is always great on assumptions questions!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8805 [0]
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Skywalker18, you nailed it!

We are specifically told that the "mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird." Although we aren't given the exact mercury levels in the fish, we can infer that, all else equal, increasing the amount of fish eaten would increase mercury levels in the feathers. Also, increasing the mercury levels in the fish would likely increase mercury levels in the feathers.

And, yes, your highlighted assumptions (variations of choice A and choice D) would be valid assumptions. If either of those highlighted assumptions were not true, the argument would fall apart. You deserve a cookie. :-)

Thank you GMATNinja sir for your kind words :-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
(E) the process used to preserve birds in the 1880s did not substantially decrease the amount of mercury in the birds’ feathers

Negate this option:-
The process used to preserve birds in the 1880s DID SUBSTANTIALLY decrease the amount of mercury in the birds’ feathers.
This will make the argument fall apart.
If the mercury levels were altered deliberately, the comparison between birds of 1880s and birds of today becomes absurd.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 208
GMAT 1: 580 Q39 V31
Send PM
@
creativeminddu wrote:
Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and preserved in the 1880s have been found to contain only half as much mercury as feathers recently taken from living birds of the same species. Since mercury that accumulates in a seabird’s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird, these results indicate that mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago.

(A) the proportion of a seabird’s diet consisting of fish was not as high, on average, in the 1880s as it is today

(B) the amount of mercury in a saltwater fish depends on the amount of pollution in the ocean habitat of the fish

(C) mercury derived from fish is essential for the normal growth of a seabird’s feathers

(D) the stuffed seabirds whose feathers were tested for mercury were not fully grown

But don't you think that when you negate B that also makes sense?
The amount of mercury in a saltwater fish does not depend on the the amount of pollution in the ocean habitat of the fish.

Please help
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
cataakash wrote:
@
creativeminddu wrote:

But don't you think that when you negate B that also makes sense?
The amount of mercury in a saltwater fish does not depend on the the amount of pollution in the ocean habitat of the fish.

Please help

Hi,

Here you are assuming that pollution is changed from the time period of 1880 to 1980, nothing sort of that information is provided in the passage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Feathers recently taken from seabirds stuffed and preserved in the 1880s have been found to contain only half as much mercury as feathers recently taken from living birds of the same species. Since mercury that accumulates in a seabird???s feathers as the feathers grow is derived from fish eaten by the bird, these results indicate that mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago.

(A) the proportion of a seabird???s diet consisting of fish was not as high, on average, in the 1880s as it is today

(C) mercury derived from fish is essential for the normal growth of a seabird???s feathers

(E) the process used to preserve birds in the 1880s did not substantially decrease the amount of mercury in the birds??? feathers
I have a doubt why option A is not the answer and how does it weakens the argument and affects the main conclusion. how should we with such type of options.
THANK YOU
Hi,
please explain why A is wrong. If the proportion of diet is sholuld be same then only it is possible that the fishes in the comparision may have same mercury. IF we consider E, it is saying preservation decreased the mercury level substantially but it is not clear that whether the preservation has decreased it from same level.(The level found in feathers recently).
Please clear my confusion

thanks
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts