It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 21:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Federal legislation establishing a fund for the cleanup of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 77

Re: Federal legislation establishing a fund for the cleanup of sites damag [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2014, 04:33
chemicals permits compensating state governments for damage to their natural resources
but does not allow claims for injury to people.
(A) compensating state governments for damage to shoot
(B) compensating state governments for the damaging of unparallel
(C) giving state governments compensation for damaging wordy+unparallel
(D) giving compensation to state governments for the damage of reasons are same as C
(E) the giving of compensation to state governments for damaging reasons are same as C

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 77

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Federal legislation establishing a fund for the cleanup of sites damag [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2015, 00:37
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 176

Re: Federal legislation establishing a fund for the cleanup of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2016, 19:20
Could some experts please clarify this question in terms of "......permits compensating state governments for......"

What is "compensating state governments"? What is it role in the sentence?

chetan2u, could you please help?

---------------------------------------------------------
Please kudos me if this helps. Thank you.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5213 [1], given: 112

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2016, 20:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
johng2016 wrote:
Could some experts please clarify this question in terms of "......permits compensating state governments for......"

hi,
the sentence reads--
Federal legislation establishing a fund for the cleanup of sites damaged by toxic chemicals permits compensating state governments for damage to their natural resources but does not allow claims for injury to people...

A legislation permits SOMETHING...
WHAT is this something -- compensating state governments for damage to their natural resources but does not allow claims for injury to people...
so compensating here acts as a gerund and behaves like a noun..

How can you check whether it is gerund here..
replace with a NOUN and see if it still stands..
Federal legislation establishing a fund for the cleanup of sites damaged by toxic chemicals permits compensating state governments for damage to their natural resources but does not allow claims for injury to people alcohol..
may not make sense but is correct grammatically so the original --compensating- is a NOUN..

again compensating X for WHAT -- for damage to....

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5213 [1], given: 112

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2016, 22:25
chetan2u wrote:
johng2016 wrote:

hi,
the sentence reads--
Federal legislation establishing a fund for the cleanup of sites damaged by toxic chemicals permits compensating state governments for damage to their natural resources but does not allow claims for injury to people...

A legislation permits SOMETHING...
WHAT is this something -- compensating state governments for damage to their natural resources but does not allow claims for injury to people...
so compensating here acts as a gerund and behaves like a noun..

How can you check whether it is gerund here..
replace with a NOUN and see if it still stands..
Federal legislation establishing a fund for the cleanup of sites damaged by toxic chemicals permits compensating state governments for damage to their natural resources but does not allow claims for injury to people alcohol..
may not make sense but is correct grammatically so the original --compensating- is a NOUN..

again compensating X for WHAT -- for damage to....

Thank you for your explain, it's simply excellent.

---------------------------------------------------------
Please kudos me if this helps. Thank you.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 08:36

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 22:47
The answer to this question can be found here - http://www.grammaring.com/to-infinitive ... id-require

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 29

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2016, 12:50

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 36

Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 21:18
ananthpatri wrote:
Federal legislation establishing a fund for the cleanup of sites damaged by toxic chemicals permits compensating state governments for damage to their natural resources but does not allow claims for injury to people.

(A) compensating state governments for damage to
(B) compensating state governments for the damaging of
(C) giving state governments compensation for damaging
(D) giving compensation to state governments for the damage of
(E) the giving of compensation to state governments for damaging

slashing the modifiers, a fund for damage to their natural resources but not for injury to people.

Only A maintains this parallel structure.

+1 for kudos

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 36

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 09:11
in the dictionary, we see
permit something
permit sombody to do something
permit somebody something

now we can infer, from oa, that
permit doing something
is correct.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 916

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 56

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 07:41
Though I got the answer. The construction of the sentence seems awkward and I am not able to find the verb. Experts please help. anairamitch1804

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 56

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 148 [2], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
anje29 wrote:
Though I got the answer. The construction of the sentence seems awkward and I am not able to find the verb. Experts please help. anairamitch1804

We have the command subjunctive here. To be more precise, it is the case when verbs only take infinitive. Such verbs include permit, advise, allow, want, persuade, forbid.
The structure of the sentence is: PERMIT sth/someone TO
In our case: PERMITS [compensating state governments for damage] TO
Does this makes sense to you?
If we use the elimination method we can discard C, D and E for redundancy (they feature both give +compensation); on the contrary, A and B use a single verb to describe that action.
B is incorrect because of the parallelism issue: 'damaging' versus 'claims (in order to be parallel, it should be 'for claiming').

Both C and E make it sound like the state governments are damaging their own natural resources, which is incorrect, so those choices can be eliminated. The correct idiom is "damage to," not "damage of," which allows D to be eliminated. B is wordy and awkward; "the damaging of" has "of" instead of "to," and unnecessarily uses the definite article and a gerund ("the damaging") where a single word ("damage") performs exactly the same function. Therefore, the sentence is correct as written.

E's use of "for damaging" implies that the compensation was given to the state governments in exchange for the governments' damaging of natural resources. We can logically say that the state governments are not the ones who caused the damage, so E's meaning is incorrect.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 148 [2], given: 855

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 157

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 16:38
whichscore wrote:
Federal legislation establishing a fund for the cleanup of sites damaged by toxic
chemicals permits compensating state governments for damage to their natural resources
(A) compensating state governments for damage to there is nothing actually wrong with this- this is idiomatically correct
(C) giving state governments compensation for damaging this issue with this answer choice is that it significantly alters the meaning of the sentence- this sentence implies that Federal legislation is compensating state governments for damage that those state governments bring upon themselves - this is all implied by "damaging"

Could anyone explain the answer ?
tkx

A is actually both idiomatically and grammatically correct and it also concise.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 157

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 222

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 02:38
whichscore wrote:
Federal legislation establishing a fund for the cleanup of sites damaged by toxic
(A) compensating state governments for damage to
(C) giving state governments compensation for damaging

Could anyone explain the answer ?
tkx

I want to add some point. look at choice A and C
it is clear that "damaging" in C is different meaning from "damage to". "damage to" meaning is clear and correct. simply , we do not use the meaning of "damaging".

look at choice C at idiomatic perspective.
we know that in the dictionary, we have pattern
compensate somebody for something
we do not have
compensate sombody for doing something

so, it is possible that "compensate sombody for doing something" is not idiomatic. normally, when doing appear in a idiomatic combination of a verb, agent of doing is made clear. consider

I prohibit you from learning English

it is clear that agent of learning is "you".

is is likely that "compensate sombody from doing something" is unidiomatic.

the focus point of this problem is difference between noun and doing.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 222

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 856 [0], given: 71

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 12:00
Federal legislation establishing a fund for the cleanup of sites damaged by toxic chemicals permits compensating state governments for damage to their natural resources
(A) compensating state governments for damage to - Correct
(B) compensating state governments for the damaging of - damaging of is incorrect
(C) giving state governments compensation for damaging - ‘Compensating’ is better than “giving compensation”
(D) giving compensation to state governments for the damage of - same as C
(E) the giving of compensation to state governments for damaging - same as C

Answer A

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 856 [0], given: 71

Re: Federal legislation establishing a fund for the cleanup of sites damag   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2017, 12:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ]