GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 22:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Feedback please

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Location: United States
Schools: Rotman '22
GPA: 2.96
CAT Tests
Feedback please  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2019, 21:40
Hello,

I am looking to apply to MBA programs in the near future. I am planning to immigrate to Canada, so I am looking at schools in Canada. I have been researching various schools and I need some guidance. My top choice is Rotman but knowing fully well my profile, it is really unlikely that I will get in. However, I still want your feedback on it.

Undergraduate (USA): Finance and Applied Mathematics GPA of 2.96 both degrees combined

Work experience: 16 months as a budget and finance analyst

Nationality: Togo, West Africa

Current country of residence: USA

I have not taken the GMAT I am currently studying for it, my first practice test was 640. I am aiming for a 700+ score

Why MBA? 1. I have a social business idea that I would like to start, which is connected to some of the reasons for my low GPA. I felt an MBA would give me the tools and network to flesh it put properly and bing it to life. 2. Advance career, I would like to do corporate finance. 3. I will be settling into a new country alone and I know absolutely no one n the vast land that is Canada. I thought an MBA would allow me to integrate, make myself more marketable while providing me the opportunity to work on my short-term and long-term goals.

Please tell me your thoughts on this.

I am looking forward to hearing from you all.

Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 321
Location: Ghana
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
Re: Feedback please  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2019, 23:10
Hello you have an impressive profile,but sorry to tell you that Canada is very concerned with Undergrad Gpa as yours is on the lower side (at least 3.0/4.0 for most schools)
Again,your work experience of 16month: I think you should increase it to at least 40 months to be competitive
Lastly,Your GMAT target score should definitely be above average (a 710+) as this is the chance to show your academic skills though you had low gpa.
Hope it helps :)

AliveAgain wrote:
Hello,

I am looking to apply to MBA programs in the near future. I am planning to immigrate to Canada, so I am looking at schools in Canada. I have been researching various schools and I need some guidance. My top choice is Rotman but knowing fully well my profile, it is really unlikely that I will get in. However, I still want your feedback on it.

Undergraduate (USA): Finance and Applied Mathematics GPA of 2.96 both degrees combined

Work experience: 16 months as a budget and finance analyst

Nationality: Togo, West Africa

Current country of residence: USA

I have not taken the GMAT I am currently studying for it, my first practice test was 640. I am aiming for a 700+ score

Why MBA? 1. I have a social business idea that I would like to start, which is connected to some of the reasons for my low GPA. I felt an MBA would give me the tools and network to flesh it put properly and bing it to life. 2. Advance career, I would like to do corporate finance. 3. I will be settling into a new country alone and I know absolutely no one n the vast land that is Canada. I thought an MBA would allow me to integrate, make myself more marketable while providing me the opportunity to work on my short-term and long-term goals.

Please tell me your thoughts on this.

I am looking forward to hearing from you all.

Thank you.


Posted from my mobile device
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2316
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Feedback please  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2019, 00:40
If they feel that you can handle the academic rigor, they are likely to let you in because you have such an underrepresented nationality.

But they also want to make sure you can contribute and if you only have 16 months of work experience that's less likely.

So you would need to really emphasize how you could contribute despite the lack of work experience

and your job is definitely to articulate how you will be a better student this time around. You might look into hbx core, a way to develop an alternative transcript.

I did help someone get into rotman with a scholarship was far worse grades but he was a CFA and he had 5 yrs work experience. And of course an excellent application :-)

so your job is to articulate how you can handle the academic rigor by proving yourself on the GMAT, I recommend you get a tutor and take the fast track. Don't screw around.

And then you need to articulate contribution. It's very important for you to show how your fellow students fellow learning team fellow alumni will benefit from you joining their Club.

and show some type of progression at work. Give them a reason to understand how you will be a future leader.

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Location: United States
Schools: Rotman '22
GPA: 2.96
CAT Tests
Re: Feedback please  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2019, 04:19
Staphyk wrote:
Hello you have an impressive profile,but sorry to tell you that Canada is very concerned with Undergrad Gpa as yours is on the lower side (at least 3.0/4.0 for most schools)
Again,your work experience of 16month: I think you should increase it to at least 40 months to be competitive
Lastly,Your GMAT target score should definitely be above average (a 710+) as this is the chance to show your academic skills though you had low gpa.
Hope it helps :)

AliveAgain wrote:
Hello,

I am looking to apply to MBA programs in the near future. I am planning to immigrate to Canada, so I am looking at schools in Canada. I have been researching various schools and I need some guidance. My top choice is Rotman but knowing fully well my profile, it is really unlikely that I will get in. However, I still want your feedback on it.

Undergraduate (USA): Finance and Applied Mathematics GPA of 2.96 both degrees combined

Work experience: 16 months as a budget and finance analyst

Nationality: Togo, West Africa

Current country of residence: USA

I have not taken the GMAT I am currently studying for it, my first practice test was 640. I am aiming for a 700+ score

Why MBA? 1. I have a social business idea that I would like to start, which is connected to some of the reasons for my low GPA. I felt an MBA would give me the tools and network to flesh it put properly and bing it to life. 2. Advance career, I would like to do corporate finance. 3. I will be settling into a new country alone and I know absolutely no one n the vast land that is Canada. I thought an MBA would allow me to integrate, make myself more marketable while providing me the opportunity to work on my short-term and long-term goals.

Please tell me your thoughts on this.

I am looking forward to hearing from you all.

Thank you.


Posted from my mobile device


Thank you very much for the feedback. I will definitely aim for a higher score and I personally feel that it is doable. As I mentioned earlier, considering all the factors, although I would like to wait to have more experience, the best timing for me is now.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Location: United States
Schools: Rotman '22
GPA: 2.96
CAT Tests
Re: Feedback please  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2019, 04:23
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
If they feel that you can handle the academic rigor, they are likely to let you in because you have such an underrepresented nationality.

But they also want to make sure you can contribute and if you only have 16 months of work experience that's less likely.

So you would need to really emphasize how you could contribute despite the lack of work experience

and your job is definitely to articulate how you will be a better student this time around. You might look into hbx core, a way to develop an alternative transcript.

I did help someone get into rotman with a scholarship was far worse grades but he was a CFA and he had 5 yrs work experience. And of course an excellent application :-)

so your job is to articulate how you can handle the academic rigor by proving yourself on the GMAT, I recommend you get a tutor and take the fast track. Don't screw around.

And then you need to articulate contribution. It's very important for you to show how your fellow students fellow learning team fellow alumni will benefit from you joining their Club.

and show some type of progression at work. Give them a reason to understand how you will be a future leader.

Posted from my mobile device


Thank you very much. This is very helpful, you pointed out a point I was overlooking. :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Feedback please   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2019, 04:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Feedback please

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Karr32






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne