It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 436 [3], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2008, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (00:36) correct 26% (00:46) wrong based on 429 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been politically charged in the Pacific Northwest, politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend to protect the fish.

A. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend

B. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, proposing instead a series of smaller steps intended.

C. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan for protecting wild salmon and other endangered fish, and instead they proposed a series of smaller steps, intending.

D. an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish was postponed by politicians, who instead proposed a series of smaller steps, intending
E. an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish has been postponed by politicians, proposing instead a series of smaller steps intended.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 436 [3], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg '10
Re: Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2008, 12:15
B is my answer.

A. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend This is just nuts
B. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, proposing instead a series of smaller steps intended.
C. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan for protecting wild salmon and other endangered fish, and instead they proposed a series of smaller steps, intending. 2nd place...I believe it's just idiomatic to say an ambitious plan "to protect"; the other differences from B aren't as suspicious to me except that they are wordier.
D. an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish was postponed by politicians, who instead proposed a series of smaller steps, intending. Politicians reached the decision
E. an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish has been postponed by politicians, proposing instead a series of smaller steps intended. Politicians reached the decision

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2008, 19:57
another one for B. We can rule out D and E immediately. 'To protect' is much better than 'for protecting'

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 474 [0], given: 142

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2014, 09:35
Could someone help B Vs C ??

GMAT Prep Exam pack 1. OA: B

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 474 [0], given: 142

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 831 [6], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2014, 23:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ConnectTheDots wrote:

There would be idiomatic preference for "to protect" over "for protecting". There is also a subtle but material meaning difference between B & C with the difference between the modifiers "intended" and "intending".

In B, the sentence reads "a series of smaller steps intended to protect the fish". It's evident that the steps are what is intended to protect the fish. In C, the sentence reads "a series of smaller steps, intending to protect the fish". Using the participle form, "intending", after a comma changes the way the modifier works. Instead of simply modifying steps, now "intending" is modifying the preceding clauses, implying that the politicians both proposed the smaller steps AND postponed an ambitious plan in an attempt to protect the fish. This doesn't make sense because delaying the ambitious plan does not protect the fish.

Watch out for how changing modifiers change the meaning of the sentence.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Kudos [?]: 831 [6], given: 5

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 885 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2014, 04:35
KyleWiddison wrote:
ConnectTheDots wrote:

There would be idiomatic preference for "to protect" over "for protecting". There is also a subtle but material meaning difference between B & C with the difference between the modifiers "intended" and "intending".

In B, the sentence reads "a series of smaller steps intended to protect the fish". It's evident that the steps are what is intended to protect the fish. In C, the sentence reads "a series of smaller steps, intending to protect the fish". Using the participle form, "intending", after a comma changes the way the modifier works. Instead of simply modifying steps, now "intending" is modifying the preceding clauses, implying that the politicians both proposed the smaller steps AND postponed an ambitious plan in an attempt to protect the fish. This doesn't make sense because delaying the ambitious plan does not protect the fish.

KW

But per the original sentence politicians are the ones who intend.

Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been politically charged in the Pacific Northwest, politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend to protect the fish.

A. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend
C. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan for protecting wild salmon and other endangered fish, and instead they proposed a series of smaller steps, intending.

I don't see any other problem with (C) except 'for protecting'.

Per the original sentence also 'they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend'

Also in (C),

they proposed a series of smaller steps, intending.

Verb-Ing correctly modifies previous clause and makes sense with the subject of the preceding clause.

Any suggestions?

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 885 [0], given: 322

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 831 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2014, 10:53
TGC wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:
ConnectTheDots wrote:

KW

But per the original sentence politicians are the ones who intend.

I don't see any other problem with (C) except 'for protecting'.

Per the original sentence also 'they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend'

Also in (C),

they proposed a series of smaller steps, intending.

Verb-Ing correctly modifies previous clause and makes sense with the subject of the preceding clause.

Any suggestions?

OK - a few points to discuss here. First of all, answer choice A does not necessarily reflect the intended meaning of the sentence - it is simply one of the answer choices - so we can't use underlined portions of the original to determine proper meaning.

Second, using the -ing modifier shifts the role of the politicians within the answer choice. Earlier the politicians are the agents who have to decide about a plan that would protect fish but later the politicians take a direct role in protecting fish and the steps are de-emphasized. You will notice in B that the plan is designed to protect and the steps are intended to protect. The structure in B makes much more sense.

Beyond the meaning issues in C, there is the issue with "for protecting" and I don't like the use of the comma before and.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Kudos [?]: 831 [0], given: 5

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 07:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 89

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 03:03

A. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend - WRONG - "they" - pronoun ambiguity

C. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan for protecting wild salmon and other endangered fish, and instead they proposed a series of smaller steps, intending. - WRONG - "they" - pronoun ambiguity

D. an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish was postponed by politicians, who instead proposed a series of smaller steps, intending - WRONG - Modifier error
E. an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish has been postponed by politicians, proposing instead a series of smaller steps intended. - WRONG - Modifier error

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 89

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 08:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 109

GPA: 3.92

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2016, 11:03
How is the difficulty of SC problems determined? I've seen problems with ~70% correct answer rates be both sub-600 and 600-700.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 109

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.75
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 00:20
Sentence C is too wordy. hence b

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 18

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7875 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 02:27
Top Contributor
The point here is to decide what really is intended to protect the fish B says that it is the small steps that are intended to protect. This is forthright and touching the nose from the front.
C says that it is the politicians' proposing of small steps that are intended to protect. This is indirect and touching the nose from behind.
The entire canvas has changed in C due to a changed change of a word. Therefore, B is a better fit.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7875 [0], given: 363

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 23:07
This is primarily a modifier question. The original structure of the sentence is as follows:
Finally reaching a decision..., politicians decided to do X, instead of which they proposed Y, by which they intend to do Z.
The last modifier, "instead of ..." is incorrect.
A better structure would be, "Finally reaching a decision..., politicians decided to do X, proposing instead Y intended to do Z.
Choice (B) fixes it with the correct structure.
Choice (C) is incorrect because it introduces "and instead", which is less precise and inconsistent with the author's original intent.
Choice (D) and (E) both suffer from an error in the first modifier, suggesting that "an ambitious plan" is what finally reached a decision.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 855

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 162

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 00:51
Hi egmat

Can you help understand the use of participle in Option C? I eliminated C because it uses "for protecting" , but I would like to know whether the usage of "intending" is correct in option C?

It is correctly referring to the subject of the previous clause "they(politicians)" and giving additional info

Quote:

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 162

Re: Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2017, 00:51

Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap