It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 05:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflati

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 21

Schools: Booth PT '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V21
GPA: 2.9
Reviews Badge
Re: Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflati [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 18:39
chetan2u & sayantanc2k would you please explain why E was chosen over D? Is there anything wrong with the D?

Expert Post
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5825 [0], given: 117

Re: Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflati [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 19:17
AnotherGmater wrote:
chetan2u & sayantanc2k would you please explain why E was chosen over D? Is there anything wrong with the D?

Hi AnotherGmater, sgrover18 and Keats,

The main problem is with the usage of believing in something as.....
Believing something to be nicely... should be OK..

Secondly, there is no requirement of 'still' here...

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5825 [0], given: 117

Intern
Intern
B

Schools: Booth PT '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V21
GPA: 2.9
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 19:30
So you are saying usage of as after believing is the problem? "believing in the American economy as"
And correct idiom or usage should be "believing in the American economy to be"

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3495 [2], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2016, 08:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AnotherGmater wrote:
So you are saying usage of as after believing is the problem? "believing in the American economy as"
And correct idiom or usage should be "believing in the American economy to be"

Believe X to be Y is correct, but believe in X to be Y does not make sense. "Believe in" means "to have faith in" - with "believe in", "to be ..." does not go.

Note that Chetan has not put "in" after "believing" in his example.

In short "believe in as" and "believe in to be" both are wrong.

Kudos [?]: 3495 [2], given: 22

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 88

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 07:58
Thank you sayantan...for sharing this information :)

sayantanc2k wrote:
rs47 wrote:
What is the OE for this question? I got it wrong in the test, hence asking..

Probably the most efficient way to solve this problem is to remember the idiom "continue to".

Although "continue + verb-ing" has not been proven to be wrong, in GMAT it is generally not used. Following is an excerpt from Manhattan GMAT SC guide:

Correct: The danger will CONTINUE TO GROW.
Suspect: The danger will CONTINUE GROWING.

This is definitely not one of the most convincing explanations, but in the real test all that matters is whether you click on the right option as per judgement of GMAC.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 88

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 148 [1], given: 51

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 03:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
inakihernandez wrote:
Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflation and shrinking profits margins, investors continue pouring money into the stock market, believing that the American economy was nicely balanced, with little inflation.

(a) continue pouring money into the stock market, believing that the American economy was

(b) continue pouring money into the stock market, believing in the American economy as

(c) still continue pouring money into the stock market in the belief that the American economy as

(d) still continued pouring money into the stock market, believing in the American economy as

(e) continued to pour money into the stock market in the belief that the american economy was

My take on the question as well... I was choosing between a & e but chose e in the end not for the 'in the belief' that reason but the tense between continue and continued. I saw that the non-underlined portion stated things in the past and the financial analysts are still the past, therefore to me 'continue' has verb tense error.

Is my reasoning for this question okay?

My GMAT Journey From 550 - 740

My application debrief to Kellogg '19

My MBA Blog

Kudos [?]: 148 [1], given: 51

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 4

GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 07:13
"believing in the economy as balanced" and "belief in the economy as balanced" ate incorrect. Words such as "think", "claim" and "belief" must almost always be followed by a clause, that is, a noun and a verb.

E.g. I believe that X is true.
In a sentence such as "I believe in X as Y" it is not clear whether the subject (I) or X is equated to Y.

--Prasad
EnterMBA

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)

GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 07:17
Note that in A, the subject of "believing" -- financial analysts or investors -- is unclear. Another reason to eliminate A.

--Prasad
EnterMBA

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.71
Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflati [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 18:29
What is there to make of the as vs was split? If we were using the proper "continue to" idiom and the proper past tense of "continue", would the "was" vs "as" split make a difference?

Secondly, does the ", believing" clauses modify the noun "stock market"?

Thanks All!

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 905 [0], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 00:29
ddb123 wrote:
What is there to make of the as vs was split? If we were using the proper "continue to" idiom and the proper past tense of "continue", would the "was" vs "as" split make a difference?

Secondly, does the ", believing" clauses modify the noun "stock market"?

Thanks All!

I actually did not get your first question.

To answer the 2nd query:

Believing is not modifying stock market rather it is modifying the act of continuously pouring money into the stock market.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 905 [0], given: 67

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 122

Concentration: Nonprofit, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 19:24
Noxy416 wrote:
Got the same question. I was stuck between A and E. I picked E because i felt that the Verbing usage is not. It would be great to get some insight from some experts regarding A and E.

Issue of tenses here. The analysts "were" surprised that investors "continued"

"Continued" fits with "were"

Kudos if you like the explanation!

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 122

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 11:14
IMO, there are three decision points: 1. Verb Tense 2. Logic 3. Redundancy 4. Idiom

I) As the root sentence is written in simple past, the entire time frame of the sentence should be in simple past, unless certain structures require a change. However, as there are no indications for a time change, the verb in the underlined portion should be in simple past.
Ask yourself, why should it be in present tense? It is not a universal through but rather an event that occurred in the past at some point and was reported by financial analysts.

II) Logic/Meaning Modifier: We have to options ", believing ... " which modifies the investors and " in the belief " which modifies the verb " to pour money into the stock market "
Well, so what is more logical to modify? Investors who believe that the economy was nicely balanced or " continue to pour money into the stock market in the belief"?
Here it is important to think about the function of the modifier. The modifier in this case should not describe the investors but rather give the reason for the investors' action!

III) Redundancy: still + continue is redundant, as continue inherently implies ongoing action

IV) Its not idiomatic to say " to believe X as Y ", and correct idiom is " to continue to + infinitive "

A) Verb Tense; Modifier
B) Verb Tense, Modifier; Idiom
C) Verb Tense; Redundancy; Modifier; Idiom
D) Redundancy; Modifier; Idiom
E) correct

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 10

Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflati [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 08:46
Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflation and shrinking profits margins, investors continue pouring money into the stock market, believing that the American economy was nicely balanced, with little inflation.

(a) continue pouring money into the stock market, believing that the American economy was

(b) continue pouring money into the stock market, believing in the American economy as

(c) still continue pouring money into the stock market in the belief that the American economy as

(d) still continued pouring money into the stock market, believing in the American economy as

(e) continued to pour money into the stock market in the belief that the american economy was

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 04:35

straight E

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 31

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 19:06
inakihernandez wrote:

I know I am asking the wrong question here, but isn't the statement "Financial analysts said they .." wrong?
I think it should be "Financial analysts said that ..". Am I wrong?

A kudo a day keeps the doctor away.

GMAT PREP1: 660 ( Q50, V30). (CR 41, RC 22, SC 27).
GMAT PREP: 740, 750, 760, 740, 740.

GMAT EXAM ( 4th November 2017). TARGET 760!! GOT 760!!

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 31

Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 226

GPA: 3
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 08:20
Can someone throw some light on despite also in this example
is it possible to eliminate options with just despite and not going deep in verb form

P.S i am super weak when it comes to verb forms

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 226

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8164 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 10:16
Top Contributor
'Despite' is not underlined and is relevant to all the five choices. Hence, we cannot take it as a split factor.
However, in D, the crux is the word 'still'. Still means even now - into the present. The use of the past tense 'continued' with even today is incongruous.
One mistake in the original transcription is that it says 'analyst' rather than analysts. I think it is a typo.
In D, the use of 'continue' rather than 'continued' also seems to be a typo.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8164 [0], given: 364

Re: Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflati   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2017, 10:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 37 posts ] 

Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflati

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap