It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 22:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflati

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 570 Q42 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V35
Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflati [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 09:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (00:43) correct 32% (00:59) wrong based on 1178 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflation and shrinking profits margins, investors continue pouring money into the stock market, believing that the American economy was nicely balanced, with little inflation.

(a) continue pouring money into the stock market, believing that the American economy was

(b) continue pouring money into the stock market, believing in the American economy as

(c) still continue pouring money into the stock market in the belief that the American economy as

(d) still continued pouring money into the stock market, believing in the American economy as

(e) continued to pour money into the stock market in the belief that the american economy was
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by inakihernandez on 25 Apr 2016, 12:07, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Re: Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflati [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 09:55
"was nicely balanced "is missing in OA.
Is it correct?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 570 Q42 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V35
Re: Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflati [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 12:09
Yes, you are right! there were couple of mistakes... I already changed them. Thank you
Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 12:52
Got the same question. I was stuck between A and E. I picked E because i felt that the Verbing usage is not. It would be great to get some insight from some experts regarding A and E.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Insead '14, NUS '16
GMAT Date: 10-17-2014
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 21:01
Hi daagh, I am confused with the usage of infinitive and gerund. I chose A in this question. Please help. Thanks!
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 21:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nishith17 wrote:
Hi daagh, I am confused with the usage of infinitive and gerund. I chose A in this question. Please help. Thanks!

Hi,
Continued is the VERB and to pour is Infinitive..
infinitive can come after a verb..

also since the analysts are talking of an earlier time when they were surprised, continued is correct..
the problem is not between 'to pour' and 'pouring' as much it has to do with the VERB 'was'..

another Point about the Q-- you are not likely to see a 3-2 split in terms of AS vs WAS..

inakihernandez, could you please share the source.. and please mention SOURCE next time onwards, so that students know which Qs to spend time on..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 05:40
chetan2u wrote:
nishith17 wrote:

Hi,
Continued is the VERB and to pour is Infinitive..
infinitive can come after a verb..

also since the analysts are talking of an earlier time when they were surprised, continued is correct..
the problem is not between 'to pour' and 'pouring' as much it has to do with the VERB 'was'..

another Point about the Q-- you are not likely to see a 3-2 split in terms of AS vs WAS..

inakihernandez, could you please share the source.. and please mention SOURCE next time onwards, so that students know which Qs to spend time on..

The source is gmatprep, just got the same Q. Thanks for explanantion

You have to dig deep and find out what it takes to reshuffle the cards life dealt you

Manager
Manager
G
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 05:32
What is the OE for this question? I got it wrong in the test, hence asking..
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 14:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rs47 wrote:

Probably the most efficient way to solve this problem is to remember the idiom "continue to".

Although "continue + verb-ing" has not been proven to be wrong, in GMAT it is generally not used. Following is an excerpt from Manhattan GMAT SC guide:

Correct: The danger will CONTINUE TO GROW.
Suspect: The danger will CONTINUE GROWING.

This is definitely not one of the most convincing explanations, but in the real test all that matters is whether you click on the right option as per judgement of GMAC.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 07:47
sayantanc2k wrote:
rs47 wrote:

Probably the most efficient way to solve this problem is to remember the idiom "continue to".

Although "continue + verb-ing" has not been proven to be wrong, in GMAT it is generally not used. Following is an excerpt from Manhattan GMAT SC guide:

This is definitely not one of the most convincing explanations, but in the real test all that matters is whether you click on the right option as per judgement of GMAC.

Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflation and shrinking profits margins, investors continued to pour money into the stock market in the belief that the american economy was nicely balanced, with little inflation.

Is this idiomatic? Can you specify a couple of examples for this usage
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 12:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
unuk50 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
rs47 wrote:

Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflation and shrinking profits margins, investors continued to pour money into the stock market in the belief that the american economy was nicely balanced, with little inflation.

Is this idiomatic? Can you specify a couple of examples for this usage

A relative clause "that American economy...." is used to refer to (modify) a noun "belief", a very common usage.

Moreover "in the belief" is also not very uncommon phrase. Search on the internet "in the belief that phrase" - you will have plenty of authentic examples.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 08:32
This post was
BOOKMARKED
inakihernandez wrote:
Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflation and shrinking profits margins, investors continue pouring money into the stock market, believing that the American economy was nicely balanced, with little inflation.

(a) continue pouring money into the stock market, believing that the American economy was

(b) continue pouring money into the stock market, believing in the American economy as

(c) still continue pouring money into the stock market in the belief that the American economy as

(d) still continue pouring money into the stock market, believing in the American economy as

(e) continued to pour money into the stock market in the belief that the american economy was

The sentence must continue in the past tense-> He said.....Continued. STILL and continue points redundancy.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 08:54
Imo E.. what's OA?

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2016, 21:24
Even though I got this one right, I struggled between A and E.

Why I chose E was because the sentence felt like it was narrating something that had happened (as in, happened in the past) - and that it was a narrative - option E - vs. option A - which was more of an ongoing thing...
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2016, 12:25
8Everything wrote:
Even though I got this one right, I struggled between A and E.

Why I chose E was because the sentence felt like it was narrating something that had happened (as in, happened in the past) - and that it was a narrative - option E - vs. option A - which was more of an ongoing thing...

shashanksagar wrote:
Imo E.. what's OA?

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Probably, you missed this post above:

financial-analyst-said-they-were-surprised-that-despite-higher-inflati-217293.html#p1697916
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Tuck '19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 01:21
inakihernandez wrote:

(d) still continue pouring money into the stock market, believing in the American economy as

Does the use of different tense- continue and continued in option A and E respectively also contribute to error analysis or usage of either is correct?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sudhirgupta93 wrote:
inakihernandez wrote:

Does the use of different tense- continue and continued in option A and E respectively also contribute to error analysis or usage of either is correct?

Yes, the difference in tense in one major "split" that can be used to eliminate answer(s).

Since this verb (continue) occurs within a statement that occured in past (said), simple present is applicable ONLY when the statement is an universal truth (e.g., sun rises in the east). However this statement is not a universal truth and therefore use of simple present is wrong.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 13:37
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi All,

I got a different statement in option D. it said " still continued". While i understand that we need to use past tense since the author is narrating a past event secondly still and continue present redundancy but i am still struggling to find out if " in the belief" is the correct usage.

chetan2u & sayantanc2k, can you guys please take a stab at ruling out option D for me ? Unless redundancy in still continued is the deciding factor. Please find attached the screenshot.

Thanks and Regards,
Shradha
Attachments

Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 3.03.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 3.03.04 AM.png [ 983.87 KiB | Viewed 8936 times ]

Current Student
S
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2016, 03:32
It would be great if someone can throw light on options B, C , and D as well.
Current Student
S
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2016, 03:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
chetan2u Is there a split between as and was towards the end?
Re: Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflati   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2016, 03:51

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 37 posts ] 

Financial analyst said they were surprised that despite higher inflati

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap