Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
Re: Financing Your MBA [#permalink]
chineseburned wrote:
Hey, I didn't write that. It was "laymeoff". I don't know how you quoted and changed the author name. I am not looking to get laid off nor to commit any unemployment crime. I was just curious if the law is really bullet proof when it comes to that.

Ha - sorry about that. I was just deleting all the quote headers at the top of the message. My mistake.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Toubab wrote:
chineseburned wrote:
Hey, I didn't write that. It was "laymeoff". I don't know how you quoted and changed the author name. I am not looking to get laid off nor to commit any unemployment crime. I was just curious if the law is really bullet proof when it comes to that.

Ha - sorry about that. I was just deleting all the quote headers at the top of the message. My mistake.

No problem. Just wanted to make it clear I am not looking to get laid off :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Great information solaris!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Quick grapevine intel for those considering private loans:

Discover appears to be offering variable rate private student loans at Prime minus 50bps (so currently ~2.75%) for domestic borrowers with solid credit AND a co-signer. I hear if you want to go without a cosigner and have excellent credit, you can score Prime plus 200bps (~4.25%).

Discover also offers a 2% reduction in principal as a "graduation reward" when you finish and has zero fees for qualified borrowers.

Not a bad deal.

If anyone sees a better deal elsewhere, please post here for kudos! :)

That sounds like an awesome deal, if true. Maybe I should've answered one of those Discover telemarketing calls :)
What are the predictions for this variable rate i.e. how high could Prime usually go?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
The Prime rate was around 8.25% as recently as August 2007. Where it will be say in three years, no one knows for sure really. If you will need more than a year or two to pay off your private loans, the GradPLUS loans are probably a safer bet.

Obviously this is all very credit-dependent, and to some extent also on the school you will be attending.

svrider wrote:
What are the predictions for this variable rate i.e. how high could Prime usually go?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V39
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
The Prime rate was around 8.25% as recently as August 2007. Where it will be say in three years, no one knows for sure really. If you will need more than a year or two to pay off your private loans, the GradPLUS loans are probably a safer bet.

Obviously this is all very credit-dependent, and to some extent also on the school you will be attending.

svrider wrote:

Prime could easily be 13%+ if the Fed screws up the recovery and doesn't tighten monetary policy quickly enough. Or if they hit a home run, it could stay below 10%. However, with quantitative easing and the expansion of the Fed's balance sheet, I wouldn't go anywhere near a variable interest rate loan that I wouldn't be able to refi. You could get seriously burned if rates take off like many economists are predicting.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
refurb wrote:
However! If one could structure their loans to minimize the risk, it might be doable. One option would be to keep the amount you borrow through a variable rate loan low and try and take those loans out near the end of your 2 years. Basically, use them for short-term borrowing, knowing that you'll be able to pay them off quickly if rates start to rise.

Then again, if you minimize your exposure to variable rate loans, how much do you stand a save? A couple thousand? Is it really worth the headache?
RF

I was just going to ask this. Between Grad PLUS at 8.5% and the Discover loan at say, 3.5%, I could be saving a few thousand dollars in interest during the MBA. If the rate goes up drastically, I can pay off the higher interest rate first (from savings) while making minimum payments on the Stafford loan.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
As usual, I'm late to the "figuring out how loans work" party. :)

So. A question:
I'm trying to get an idea of loan rates from private lenders. Can I just call and ask what the rates are? Or does it vary so much that I have to apply? And if I have to apply, can I apply even if my school hasn't released the official budget? I thought I had to wait until I had that information before I could apply.

thanks for your help :)
Current Student
Send PM
THank you! That's good to know. I think waiting until the final fin aid information comes through is a good idea. I'll start calling lenders soon after that!

Also, why does having credit inquiries lower your credit score? That seems strange to me..
Current Student
Send PM
dharmabum wrote:
isa wrote:
Also, why does having credit inquiries lower your credit score? That seems strange to me..

It is just a signal of instability in your life. Since there is a lag time in credit reporting, they have to use proxies for information instead of actual information. Looking for a lot of credit can be an indicator that you are about to take more than you can chew, since you could potentially get 5 or 10 huge loans in a matter of a few days without it showing up on your report for other creditors to see. They have to mitigate that risk by assuming that if you are looking for loans at five places, you could potentially take those loans as well. Thus your score goes down, albeit a small amount.

Someone who has more insight into this industry feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Wow didn't realize that. Thanks for the insight!!
Current Student
Send PM
wow thanks refurb!!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
Thanks refurb! I didn't realize they looked at inquiries for some loans different than others.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
Thanks refurb! I didn't realize they looked at inquiries for some loans different than others.

I've read a couple things that said it won't affect your credit score if these inquiries eventually result in a loan.

So if you have 6 inquires, but you end up not taking a loan, your score might drop. Then again, others things I've read said this isn't true.

Either way, I don't think that will be an issue for any of us.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
msday wrote:
https://www.finaid.org/loans/creditscores.phtml

This site seems to contradict the "multiple inquiries about private student loans won't hurt your FICO score" line of thinking.

The part you quote seems to be talking about private student loans specifically. Or am I misreading it?

RF
Current Student
Send PM
For all you guys looking at private student loans, I found this over at the bw forums.

Quote:
I think it's worth throwing a shout out for Discover student loans. They have rates starting at Prime minus .5, they have zero fees and they give a 2% graduation gift (in addition to the .25% credit for automatic debits). Add to that it took less than 5 mins to apply and the decision is instant, I'm really happy with the whole deal. They loan up to $60k per year.

To get the prime minus .5 you'll need to have good credit and you'll need a cosigner who has 800+ credit. That might be tough for some people but if you have a spouse or relative who doesn't mind jumping on there with you, it makes a big difference. Discover only pulls from Experian so that's the only bureau that matters. I had a 770 with Experian and was initially given Prime +3. I tried 3 different relatives until I got an 800+ cosigner at which point I got the Prime minus .5. They don't mind you "shopping" for cosigners. Each time I tried a new cosigner it took 3 minutes on the phone and the new decision was available two hours later. You can check it out at https://www.discoverstudentloans.com Hope that helps.

RF
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
refurb wrote:
msday wrote:
https://www.finaid.org/loans/creditscores.phtml

This site seems to contradict the "multiple inquiries about private student loans won't hurt your FICO score" line of thinking.

The part you quote seems to be talking about private student loans specifically. Or am I misreading it?

RF

You're reading it correctly. Isn't anything that is not a Stafford or GradPLUS loan considered to be a private student loan?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
this is great info..

I think that Prime - 0.5% option seems best..
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  19