Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Financing Your MBA [#permalink]
Kudos
doneil13 wrote:

How much cash should I save before entering the program? I'm in the process of getting my applications together to apply in Round 1 now, but I'd only have a measly 6k saved at the time of matriculation. I don't mind financing my cost of living and tuition if the ROI is there. Will 6k in cash be enough for spending money and misc expenses? If I wait another year I will have saved roughly 16k by the time of matriculation. I'm assuming you can finance expenses such as rent and food, please correct me if I am wrong. Another important note to consider: I'll be moving with my fiance and our two dogs, can you finance housing for a situation such as this?

- How much to save? The more, the better.

- Is $6k enough for spending and misc. expenses? Depends what things (e.g. rent/food) you're not including elsewhere. Probably not.

- Waiting another year? If the ROI for an MBA exists, waiting another year for $10k cash probably doesn't make sense.

- Financing expenses? You can finance 100% of the published cost of attendance, which is published on each school's website and varies among schools. This includes tuition, fees, books, rent, utility, food, a laptop allowance, personal care expenses, etc. It doesn't include travel, big nights out at the bar, etc. Most people find ways to save on the first list to have money for the second list. People definitely make it work within this constraints, but you'll have to have a good plan/budget. Also, don't forget that you'll have an intern salary ($10-15k for corporate roles up to $25-30k for consulting/banking).

- Fiance? So you have some household income. I did too (also a child). That helps.

- Financing housing? I have classmates who bought houses/condos because it was cheaper than renting. Cash flow is probably the most important consideration though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Financing Your MBA [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi guys,

One option is to get a regular student loan and then refinance it with companies that work specifically with MBA's such as CommonBond and Sofi.

As far as I know, they are both great and offer very good rates for MBA loan refinancing. It might be a good idea to talk to them b4. I'm not sure if you can get a loan directly from them though... I believe they only refinance, but find out.

Hope this helps.

On another note, you guys should check out a site called pymetrics. They are a neuroscience game-based career assessment platform that matches you with industries, companies and ultimately real internship and job opportunities. I found my summer internship through them and thought they were awesome. Wish I had heard about them b4 entering b-school.

https://bit.ly/1JxEviS

Good luck!
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys, if you're looking at some of the newer options like SoFi/CommonBond, a friend of mine at Booth wrote a great blog post with these options that's pretty helpful to get started - https://medium.com/@lexzhao/paying-for- ... .an0yyt28t
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys, if you're looking at some of the newer options like SoFi/CommonBond, a friend of mine at Booth wrote a great blog post with these options that's pretty helpful to get started - https://medium.com/@lexzhao/paying-for- ... .an0yyt28t
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bookmarks
aaudetat wrote:
No, GradPLUS is available anywhere that stafford loans are available.

Maybe it is just the online application that is omitting those universities for some reason? Thanks for the info.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:

The Perkins loan program is a federal loan program that provides low interest (5%) loans to students who demonstrate exceptional financial need.

Auudetat or anybody else happen to know where the cutoff point for "exceptional need" is defined? <60K annual salary? 40K? 10K??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am dreading the financial aid issue. If I end up attending school in Boston my wife wants to keep our house and have me commute. Plus she has an excellent salary...I am afraid that we wont qualify for subsidized loans and that we wont get much in the way of aid. I haven't determined if owning a house at this point is going to be good or bad when it comes to qualifying.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
I am dreading the financial aid issue. If I end up attending school in Boston my wife wants to keep our house and have me commute. Plus she has an excellent salary...I am afraid that we wont qualify for subsidized loans and that we wont get much in the way of aid. I haven't determined if owning a house at this point is going to be good or bad when it comes to qualifying.

Owning your home is a neutral factor. Your primary residence is not reported in any way on the FAFSA, which is what is used to determine if you qualify for unsub or sub, Perkins or no. They also don't look at retirement accounts, but do consider checking/savings balances and investments.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
died4me wrote:
yeah,

I want the Perkins Loan. what is the qualification?

I dunno. I am waiting for Duke to come out with those dollars, which is supposed to happen sometime in May. If I don't get it, you have to be unemployed, flipping burgers, or have 10 kids.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
died4me wrote:
aaudetat,

I was doing my homework on this lately.

Here is my conclusion.

1. Take the Sub Stafford Loan only $8500 per year. sucks.

2. Instead of the usual Unsub Stafford Loan for $12000 @ 6.8%, take the Graduate PLUS Loan all the way. but Must go with College Founction of NC.
After I compared numberous lenders, I realized that this one is actually slightly better than the Fed's Unsub Stafford Loan.
It is at 5.5% plus 3% automatically credited back to principal loan balance. The only thing that can beat this is the Perkins loan.

Hmmm. Interesting. Is the 5.5% fixed?

Also, you are allowed to borrow PLUS loans up to the cost of attendance, minus other aid. Obviously, you can turn down any loan they offer, but I bet it's not very common that someone would turn down the staffords in favor of the Plus!

Does anyone know more about this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
died4me wrote:
aaudetat,

I was doing my homework on this lately.

Here is my conclusion.

1. Take the Sub Stafford Loan only $8500 per year. sucks.

2. Instead of the usual Unsub Stafford Loan for $12000 @ 6.8%, take the Graduate PLUS Loan all the way. but Must go with College Founction of NC.
After I compared numberous lenders, I realized that this one is actually slightly better than the Fed's Unsub Stafford Loan.
It is at 5.5% plus 3% automatically credited back to principal loan balance. The only thing that can beat this is the Perkins loan.

Hmmm. Interesting. Is the 5.5% fixed?

Also, you are allowed to borrow PLUS loans up to the cost of attendance, minus other aid. Obviously, you can turn down any loan they offer, but I bet it's not very common that someone would turn down the staffords in favor of the Plus!

Does anyone know more about this?

1.75% immediate interest rate reduction at replayment
1.25% interest rate reduction for automatic debit.

It turned out that the Duke Chart had a typo. CFNC said that it is actually .75% not 1.75%. :x

Well, this changes everything. The Stafford is slightly better than the PLUS then.

Still, CFNC is the best PLUS out there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
what about govt financial aid? Since I am no longer a minor, although still living at home, does my parents income still play a role in how much money I can get?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tuneman wrote:
what about govt financial aid? Since I am no longer a minor, although still living at home, does my parents income still play a role in how much money I can get?

On the FAFSA there is a whole section on what makes you a dependent or not. If you were born pre 1984 (2007-08 form) you are not a dependent...even better no matter how old if you are getting an advanced degree like an MBA, you are on your own no matter where you live.

So you can qualify without needing to put any of their info on there.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
damn, i was born in 84', but I dont have much income at all, maybe ill still qualify.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tuneman wrote:
****, i was born in 84', but I dont have much income at all, maybe ill still qualify.

You are talking MBA right? Cause if you are then you qualify.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
oh no, im doing the masters of finance
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Guys, I decided to bump this. As folks start hearing about decisions, they start thinking about money....

Keep in mind, this info is from a bit ago, but still a good place to start.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  19