It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 18:04
leia23 wrote:
Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent of all merchandise orders placed
by subscribers in response to advertisements in the magazine last year were placed by subscribers under age
thirty-five.
Finding of a survey of advertisers in Systems magazine: Most of the merchandise orders placed in
response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by people under age thirty-five.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

A. More subscribers to Systems who have never ordered merchandise in response to advertisements in the
magazine are age thirty-five or over than are under age thirty-five.
B. Among subscribers to Systems, the proportion who are under age thirty-five was considerably lower last year
than it is now.
C. Most merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by Systems
subscribers over age thirty-five.
D. Last year, the average dollar amount of merchandise orders placed was less for subscribers under age thirtyfive
than for those age thirty-five or over.
E. Last year many people who placed orders for merchandise in response to advertisements in Systems were not
subscribers to the magazine.

Can someone explain the solution?

Hi,

To resolve this issue the question is why are most of the orders from 30 percent of subscribers? To pre-think, the other under 35 buyers came from somewhere else, perhaps, from word of mouth. This is resolved by option E, ie buyers were non-subscribers. I hope this is clear.

Best,

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 13

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 865

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 23:31
rulingbear wrote:
leia23 wrote:
Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent of all merchandise orders placed
by subscribers in response to advertisements in the magazine last year were placed by subscribers under age
thirty-five.
Finding of a survey of advertisers in Systems magazine: Most of the merchandise orders placed in
response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by people under age thirty-five.

A. More subscribers to Systems who have never ordered merchandise in response to advertisements in the
magazine are age thirty-five or over than are under age thirty-five.
B. Among subscribers to Systems, the proportion who are under age thirty-five was considerably lower last year
than it is now.
C. Most merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by Systems
subscribers over age thirty-five.
D. Last year, the average dollar amount of merchandise orders placed was less for subscribers under age thirtyfive
than for those age thirty-five or over.
E. Last year many people who placed orders for merchandise in response to advertisements in Systems were not
subscribers to the magazine.

Can someone explain the solution?

Hi,

To resolve this issue the question is why are most of the orders from 30 percent of subscribers? To pre-think, the other under 35 buyers came from somewhere else, perhaps, from word of mouth. This is resolved by option E, ie buyers were non-subscribers. I hope this is clear.

Best,

pre-think? does that strategy work for you?

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 865

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 08:44
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 01:51
very hard
we have to write down some numbers to solve this question.
remember about math section which contain a question similar
there are 4 group
subcriber non subcriber
under 35 year old a b
over 35 year old c d

we can make the table above quickly , in a few ten seconds whenever we see this type of question

we can not avoid making this table. making this table is key to answering this problem. we do have to see 4 group before we go to OA.

so, suppose, there are 100 order, 90 from person under 35 year old, 10 person from over 35 year old
among person 90 under 35, there are some person who is subcriber, suppose 10, among these person , only 3 are under 35 so there are 7 who are over 35 year old.
but there can be 80 person who order but who are not subcriber

we can not infer C.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 916

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 106

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 03:39
chesstitans wrote:
rulingbear wrote:
Hi,

Best,

pre-think? does that strategy work for you?

Hi,

Although I'm not the above guy, I agree with him/her that we could definitely pre-think right after reading THIS question.

Reading the findings of 2 surveys, I thought about a paradox. I was asking myself "wait, there might be something strange here. How could this happen?". Then I came up with a pre-thinking explanation that: "Among the buyers, there must be another group who are not subscribers and most of whom are <35 years old.

If I had read the option (E) first, then I might have felt relief and confident to eliminate other 4 wrong answers, thus solving the question much more quickly...

Anyway, I think we could answer the question correctly without pre-thinking or understanding option (E), because the first 4 choices are quite easy to eliminate.

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 106

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 04:47
Can someone please explain take time to understand below and explain where I am going wrong? Thanks.

Scenario 1:
1st finding: If there are 100 subscriber; 30 of them (under 35) and 70 (= / over 35).
2nd finding: 200 non-subcribers; Total = 100+200 = 300 people; (> 150 are under 35)
Conclusion: both work because (first finding says 30 are under 35 and second finding says more than 150 (30subscribers + 120 non-sub)

Scenario 2:
1st finding from above
2nd finding: 80 non-subscribers; total = 180 people (>90 must be under 35)
conclusion: both still work (90= 30 subscribers + 60 non-subscribers)

So how is option E correct? E says there were many non-subscribers last year than there were subscribers.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 535

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 06:25
tarek99 wrote:
Finding of a suvey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent of all merchandise orders placed by subscribers in reponse to advertisements in the magazine last year were placed by subscribers under age thirty-five.

Finding of a survey of advertisers in Systems magazine: Most of the merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by people under age thirty-five.

A) More subscribers to Systems who have never ordered merchanise in response to advertisements in the magazine are age thirty-five or over than are under age thirty-five,

B) Among subscribers to Systems, the proportion who are under age thirty-five was considerably lower last year than it is now.

C) Most merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by Systems subscribers over age thirty-five.

D) Last year, the average dollar a mount of merchandise orders placed was less for subscribers under age thirty-five than for those age thirty-five or over.

E) Last year many people who placed orders for merchandise in reponse to advertisements in Systems were not subscribers to the magazine.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I got this question from the GMATprep. Please explain why your answer choise is correct and why the rest of the answer choices are wrong. Thanks!

Imo E

According to statement 1 We have 30 % of the subscribers under 35 ordered the merchandise.
According to statement 2 We have most of the people who ordered merchandise we under the age 35.

So how is this possible
There must be people who are under 35 years of age but are not subscribers ordered merchandise .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 535

Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2017, 06:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 87 posts ] 

Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap