It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1120

Kudos [?]: 2326 [0], given: 219

Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2013, 01:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (00:40) correct 18% (00:45) wrong based on 138 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar

(A) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar
(B) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating, he thoroughly explored all that was there to see
(C) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, Caesar’s exploration covered all that was there to see
(D) The view from the mountains is fascinating and is the reason why all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar
(E) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating and thoroughly explored all that was there to see
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(A) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar
(B) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating, he thoroughly explored all that was there to see
(C) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, Caesar’s exploration covered all that was there to see
(D) The view from the mountains is fascinating and is the reason why all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar
(E) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating and thoroughly explored all that was there to see

The part before the comma in A requires a sub.ject to follow, who finds the view interesting? Caesar, not "all that was there".
In B there are two independent sentences. In C there is the same problem there is in A, who is the subject of the first part? The "exploration" : wrong.
"The view is the reason why" is not logically correct, moreover as always avoid passive if possible. IMO E
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]


Last edited by doe007 on 05 May 2013, 03:01, edited 2 times in total.
Question updated

Kudos [?]: 2326 [0], given: 219

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 831

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Latest Grail question bank SC 700 level [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2013, 02:00
it has to be E :Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating and thoroughly explored all that was there to see

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 61

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 1127

Kudos [?]: 3478 [1], given: 123

Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that wa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2013, 12:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar

(A) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar >>> Wrong modifier. Passive voice is used incorrectly.
(B) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating, he thoroughly explored all that was there to see >>> Wrong. "he" is redundant, same subject.
(C) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, Caesar’s exploration covered all that was there to see >>> Wrong modifier.
(D) The view from the mountains is fascinating and is the reason why all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar >>> Wrong. Passive voice is unnecessary, bad structure.
(E) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating and thoroughly explored all that was there to see >>> Correct. Parallel structure.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3478 [1], given: 123

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2013
Posts: 61

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 28

Re: Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2013, 07:35
rakeshd347 wrote:
Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar

(A) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar
(B) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating, he thoroughly explored all that was there to see
(C) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, Caesar’s exploration covered all that was there to see
(D) The view from the mountains is fascinating and is the reason why all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar
(E) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating and thoroughly explored all that was there to see



Why not B.. even this makes sense... OA please

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 28

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4288

Kudos [?]: 7875 [2], given: 363

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2013, 10:31
2
This post received
KUDOS
(A) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar --- modification error
(B) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating, he thoroughly explored all that was there to see – run on error
(C) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, Caesar’s exploration covered all that was there to see --- modification error
(D) The view from the mountains is fascinating and is the reason why all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar – the shift of tense from present to past is not grammatical; It should all be in past tense
(E) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating and thoroughly explored all that was there to see -- best choice
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

Kudos [?]: 7875 [2], given: 363

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 1127

Kudos [?]: 3478 [0], given: 123

Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2013, 15:07
rakeshd347 wrote:
aditya111 wrote:
rakeshd347 wrote:
Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar

(A) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar
(B) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating, he thoroughly explored all that was there to see
(C) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, Caesar’s exploration covered all that was there to see
(D) The view from the mountains is fascinating and is the reason why all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar
(E) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating and thoroughly explored all that was there to see



Why not B.. even this makes sense... OA please


In the original sentence, the modifying phrase - Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, - should be followed by whoever is finding this view fascinating i.e. Caesar. Both A and C get this wrong so eliminate them.
B is a run-on sentence since it uses a comma to join two independent clauses
The passive construction in D sounds very awkward compared to the active one in E, which is the best answer.


Rakeshd347's reason is correct for using comma. Very good point!
I also eliminate B because the use of "he" is redundant. We don't need to repeat "he" for same subject.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3478 [0], given: 123

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Attending Duke in May!
Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 29

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 18

Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35
Re: Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2013, 00:07
aditya111 wrote:
rakeshd347 wrote:
Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar

(A) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar
(B) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating, he thoroughly explored all that was there to see
(C) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, Caesar’s exploration covered all that was there to see
(D) The view from the mountains is fascinating and is the reason why all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar
(E) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating and thoroughly explored all that was there to see



Why not B.. even this makes sense... OA please


It makes sense if you say it out loud because everything is perfect grammatically, but written this way it's not right. The way this is written with a comma instead of a period or a conjunction makes it a Run-On Sentence.

If B were written: "Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating. He thoroughly explored all that was there to see." it would be correct. That's why it sounds right when you speak it out loud. Your natural speech rhythm takes these two thoughts independently. I was torn between B and E originally too until I noticed the problem. :)

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 18

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 832

Kudos [?]: 1593 [0], given: 197

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Latest Grail question bank SC 700 level [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2013, 11:44
Zarrolou wrote:
Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar

(A) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar
(B) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating, he thoroughly explored all that was there to see
(C) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, Caesar’s exploration covered all that was there to see
(D) The view from the mountains is fascinating and is the reason why all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar
(E) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating and thoroughly explored all that was there to see

The part before the comma in A requires a sub.ject to follow, who finds the view interesting? Caesar, not "all that was there".
In B there are two independent sentences. In C there is the same problem there is in A, who is the subject of the first part? The "exploration" : wrong.
"The view is the reason why" is not logically correct, moreover as always avoid passive if possible. IMO E


clearly it is E.

A===> Needs subject CAESAR after comma.
B===>two independent clause connected only by COMMA...===>wrong
C===>After comma we need subject Caesar and not Caesar's exploration.
D===>AWKWARD
E===>CORRECT

SKM
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Kudos [?]: 1593 [0], given: 197

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10119

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 09:20
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2497

Kudos [?]: 786 [0], given: 64

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 11:00
Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar

(A) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar --> Dangling Modifier. Finding is modifying what?
(B) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating, he thoroughly explored all that was there to see--> Run On sentence. Two ICs joined without FANBOYS.
(C) Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, Caesar’s exploration covered all that was there to see. --> Exloration Can't find but Caesar can. Incorrect
(D) The view from the mountains is fascinating and is the reason why all that was there to see was thoroughly explored by Caesar. --> May be the view was not fascinating at that time when Caesar found it. So, Change in the sentence tenses could make a sentence ambiguous. Hence, Incorrect
(E) Caesar found the view from the mountains fascinating and thoroughly explored all that was there to see to see. --> Correct option.
_________________

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 786 [0], given: 64

Re: Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2017, 11:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Finding the view from the mountains fascinating, all that

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.