Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: Carlson (A$$)
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: Carlson (A$$)
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: First ever GMAT Mock Score 610 Q45 V28 Target Score 730+ [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Rest assured that the journey from 610 to 730+ is not going to come easy Abhinay. Since you've already bought a course, completely immerse yourself in the course and exhibit a missionary like zeal over the next 2.5-3 months..

Nothing less than this level of efforts, will deliver the goods for you.

Good luck with your prep!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Abhinay66,

Since you have a list of Schools that you are interested in, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Both the At-home and Test Center versions of the GMAT have certain advantages and disadvantages to them - and if you are already enrolled in a course, then you might want to confirm if that course is going to lean towards having you take the GMAT in a particular format.

Once you've taken your next CAT/mock, you should post back here and we can discuss your progress up to that point and any adjustments that you might make to your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Abhinay66,

610 is a great start! I do think that improving to 730+ may be tough in just 2.5 months but there is no reason why you cannot give it a shot. Also, if you want some advice on how to move forward, here is a great article you can check out:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success

Feel free to reach out with additional questions.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Abhinay66 wrote:
Hello GMAT Experts,

Today, I gave my first ever GMAT Mock with zero preparation and tanked. I score meagre 610 with Q45 V28 whereas I'm targeting somewhere 730+. I would be taking my exam in first week or mid week of August 2021 which certainly can be delayed to last week as well.

Want to know if this is decent baseline score to start with?

How feasible and realistic it is to target 730+ in 2.5 Months of serious preparation?

Hi Abhinay66,

First of all, 610 is a solid score to secure in your first GMAT Mock with zero preparation. So, don’t get disheartened.

Also, 2.5 months is a considerably good period of time for serious preparation if utilized in a planned and disciplined manner. For your target score, you have to improve your Quant but you need to work harder on the comparatively weaker section i.e. Verbal.

For Quant, It appears that you have a good command over concepts but you have to work a little more on the application of concepts while solving the Quant Questions. You should consider to spend more time on analyzing the solutions of the questions from the topics in which you are weak. By analyzing I mean, go through each step of the solution, identify the exact step at which you made the mistake, compare your approach with the right one and then learn the right approach. This should help.

Verbal:

While GMAT Verbal can be tricky as there are many traps set by the test makers. It is mostly about eliminating four incorrect answer choices rather than choosing the right one. So, you have to approach questions differently and solve them in a more structured way using efficient strategies. Before you start learning, it's important to understand what is actually tested using the questions. For example, before you start learning the concepts of SC, you need to understand that SC questions on GMAT test your ability to convey the right meaning without any ambiguity. So, it's important to approach them from a meaning stand-point.

Now let me tell you the right approach to study for GMAT. The most important thing in the journey of your preparation for GMAT is to create a study plan with clear deadlines.

An ideal study plan should consist of following things:

Step 1 - Start working on one section at a time. I recommend starting from your weaker section that is Verbal. Now in this section take up one topic at a time and master this topic in 3 simple phases

• Phase 1 - learn the concepts tested on GMAT.
  • Phase 2 - learn a methodical approach to solve questions. This is the most crucial step. Most people don't do this and that's where they struggle.
  • Phase 3 - Practice questions and identify your weak areas right away to improve them. Don't move to the next topic unless you're getting at least the easy and medium questions right consistently.

Follow these 3 phases to learn all topics.

Step 2 - Once you've learned all topics, then start ironing out the gaps by taking sectional tests. Take a sectional test for each module and then identify weak areas and work on improving them.

Repeat step 2 and take a few mocks until you reach your target. While doing so focus on improving the method you follow to solve questions because that's what stops people from scoring 700+.

So, if you follow a structured and methodological approach towards learning, and are able to turn your weakness into strength through thorough analysis, you have the potential to achieve your target score.

As you have just initiated your GMAT prep, it would be better to prepare using a standard course which can help you with your overall preparation. A resource which can provide you all the things on a single platform will help you save your time and energy and prevent your chances of being unstructured in your approach. . Also, as you are a beginner, you might face a little difficulty in making a study plan. GMATWhiz helps you to create one. Moreover, GMATWhiz is one such unique course which teaches you a methodical approach to solve each question type. There is a free trial available for which you can register and check out its features.

Feel free to contact if you have any queries. You can use the below link to book a free consultation call with a Strategy Expert who has scored 740 on GMAT to get a clear idea of how to improve.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot